Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new guy looking for fast/affordable RC car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking new guy looking for fast/affordable RC car

Hi. I’m looking for an entry-level ready-to-run R/C car and need advice. Currently I have a $30 Nikko car from Target, so basically I want something faster.

I’m not ready for nitro cars. I’d like a quick electric car (preferably a street car instead of a buggy or truck) for around $100 because I don’t play enough to justify a high cost. If possible at a low price, I’d like interchangeable wheels so I can get drifting tires. I’ve been looking on the internet at all kinds of sites for a while now, and it’s hard to find the perfect r/c car. I may have to go up to $150.

Some cars I’ve come across are the HPI Dash kits, and the Carisma (almost RTR) Ferraris. I like how you can remove the body on the HPI Dash and how the tires look. I believe both HPI and Carisma have a 380 motor, which is apparently slow from what people say, but I don’t know how it compares to my Nikko Bullet.

Additionally, there’s a Nikko Enzo Ferrari that says it can go around 230 MPH scale speed, which sounds fast. Maybe I should go with this, even though it’s non-customizable? Oh, and there’s this car called the Real Driver something, which has an interesting controller.

I also ran across a couple small trucks, such as the Associated RC18T, and DuraTrax Mini Quake. There are also Kyosho mini cars (about 5” long?), but those might be slow.

Maybe I need something with the 540 motor, but again, I don’t want to spend too much.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to get a fast r/c car and start playing.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya TA05 4 wheel drive sedan
Old 07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

That Nikko that says 230 mph scale means if it is 1/10 scale divide the 230 by 10 and you'll get 23 mph which is great for a Nikko but I would go for something like the TA-05 or a used Losi or Associated.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sometimes hobby shops will sell used car for really cheap, about $75-$200.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The 18th scale micro cars (X-Ray M18/M18T/M18MT and Asociated RC18T/18B) are all great cars to get started with. They are very resilient, come in RTR form, are completely adjustable/ easy to modify, and can be VERY fast. I strongly recommend them to anyone just starting out and tired of "toy" R/C Cars.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

Tamiya TA05 4 wheel drive sedan
I agree with that.

If you want to drift, play around outside, have a durable car and possibly go indoors and race on carpet or asphault the TA05 is a good beginner car that can be hopped up later as you get bored with it.

1/18 scale is cool, but once you make them fast they are kind of a pain in the butt to deal with. You'd quickly out grow a 1/18 scale RTR I think, where as a 1/10 sedan in beginner form will be more entertaining. I would say as far as progression levels you can get more out of a 1/10 sedan.

I would also suggest buying something brand new, since you'll be learning it is a little easier to start with something that works opposed to buying a car with someone else's gremlins and issues. If you build a kit, like the TA05 you will also learn how the car is put together, how it's designed, etc. You'll come out with a higher understanding of the car intially if you buy a kit and not a chassis someone else has already built and/or modified.

I think some TA05 kits some with a decent entry level ESC (speed control) and would only require a battery, charger, and radio kit which are all affordable. Those things you can look into buying used. If there is a race track near you, check and see if they have any deals on used batteries. Someone's last season race packs can be found cheap and are still great for bashing with. Same goes for radio and chargers, but I'd have someone check them out before buying them so you know your getting working stuff.

Welcome to the hobby!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd be very surprised if you can get a TA05 RTR for $150.

Isn't there a TT-01 RTR kit? Not sure how much it costs.

I'm thinking something like a used TC3 would be his best bet. Shaft drive so there's less maintenance and you don't get rocks in the diffs etc.

I have a TA05 and I swear every time I run it outside I get a rock stuck in the driveline somewhere.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You need to decide first whether you want something that is all terrain like a buggy or something that is more specific like a road car. The TA05 is strictly a road car. That means street or parking lot. No grass and no dirt.

Here's two ways to go with a package by Tamiya:

Offroad:
Tamiya offers a prebuilt Manta Ray or Dirt Demon for about $100 with AM radio included but with a mechanical speed control. You will need to pickup a battery and charger and your done for possibly less than $150.

Onroad:
Tamiya offers a prebuilt TT-01 with a prepainted Porche or Ferrari for about $150 which includes radio and electronic speed control. However you'll still need to pickup a battery and charger.

Keep in mind prices may vary. You can shop for these items at www.hobbypeople.net

The TA05 is nice at $100 but add radio ($50) add speed control ($50) battery and charger (another $50) plus misc mat'ls (paint, glue, etc $25). Now that TA05 costs almost $300.

There may be other options from other mfg. I would definitely stay away from the HPI Dash. However the Sprint is okay so long as you know someone who sell parts for it. Associated also has a good B4 package as well for a little more. The 1/18 are fun but you're spending almost the same for a mini sized RC as you would for a regular sized RC and those can be even more expensive as well. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you dont want to spend a great deal of money(not only on the actually car but on parts afterwards) u should definitly go for a 1/18 or maybe even an XMOD, the question is to you intend to race down the track