Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1468Likes

GT12-RT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Ran a warmup race for the upcoming on road nats at apex raceway on Sunday and I was able to get my best finish in gt12 with a 2nd. I posted my first 31 lap run in the 3rd round of qualifying. This class has some of the closest racing I’ve been a part of.
tuxkilla likes this.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So I saw on Facebook that someone made a rather salacious post about the choice of motor for GT12R and that they weren't attending as a result, but that was a track decision since GT12R is an exhibition class for this Nationals. There's still 19 drivers currently entered for GT12R (Plus the aforementioned 20th person who has expressed they aren't attending) personally I would love to see numbers similar to the US Indoor Champs,especially with it being the first Nats for the new President who is directing the race himself.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
So I saw on Facebook that someone made a rather salacious post about the choice of motor for GT12R and that they weren't attending as a result, but that was a track decision since GT12R is an exhibition class for this Nationals. There's still 19 drivers currently entered for GT12R (Plus the aforementioned 20th person who has expressed they aren't attending) personally I would love to see numbers similar to the US Indoor Champs,especially with it being the first Nats for the new President who is directing the race himself.
Wrong word ....but I think we know what you mean....
Old 02-21-2023, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple
Wrong word ....but I think we know what you mean....
thank you...my vocabulary fails me sometimes
simple likes this.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:39 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Whats funny is the "track choice" motor is the EXACT same motor as Indoor champs and snowbirds used. Nothing different even same tire rule to 1 set for the week.

EA
robk and mrreet2001 like this.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Whats funny is the "track choice" motor is the EXACT same motor as Indoor champs and snowbirds used. Nothing different even same tire rule to 1 set for the week.

EA
I do think that is funny also. It is probably the regional deal with folks just not wanting to change from their comfort zone and wanting it their way. I support the USGT 32 degree motor as a good choice for majors when a spec motor is wanted. I Believe that it is the most common motor in use, it is affordable and rebuildable. It lets a lot of guys race that would choke at the $120 to $180 that you must dial in. GT12-R is meant to be affordable, not the rocket class. And it turns out to be fun.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just checking on the GT12R with the USGT Motor !
What gearing is working also what brand cars are people running ?
Thanks Jeff
Old 02-22-2023, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rollouts from 115 to 130+ depending on track
Old 02-22-2023, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Thank you !
Jeff
Old 02-22-2023, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Rollouts from 115 to 130+ depending on track
I still don't know how you guys are running this high of rollout. Maybe I have more testing to do, but my lap times are exactly the same at 120 and 105. The infield feels better to me, but I really haven't figured these motors out, fully, yet.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

It is also going to depend on the track to an extent, but I have found with these motors staying in the throttle almost all the time is the only way to be fast, anyone else let us know if that's what you are seeing
MC Hamilton likes this.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RKeasler
It is also going to depend on the track to an extent, but I have found with these motors staying in the throttle almost all the time is the only way to be fast, anyone else let us know if that's what you are seeing

Yeah, you have to stay on the throttle or they feel like they stall out. I've been working on hitting hairpins with half trigger instead of letting all the way off so I can try to carry some speed. You miss the correct throttle anywhere on the track and it costs tenths to get back on pace.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Its like oval racing almost lose momentum and you are behind for awhile before you get going again
Old 02-23-2023, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

I am pretty good with these cars and the USGT motor. I have had several drivers hand me their cars with the old "see what you think". Where you need to maintain that momentum. Letting off and getting back in usually works best for me. That timing is huge and as you would assume very corner dependent. I recently took a guys car and he told me he could run wide open all the way around but his laps were slow at a best of 11.2. It took me 4 laps to start running .4 better than him just by hitting the corners and not over driving the car.
On the USGT motor. I have two which are the only ones I ever bought. Several years old as they were the first batch at our track. Still show the same numbers (including on the Fantom dyno) after many hours of use in anything from a USGT car to the GT12-R. Many inspection stickers have been applied and removed to them.
robk likes this.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

I was starting to get the hang of the class with my R1, I'm having to work to get the feel and technique to get back the same performance with the USGT motor I also run TC classes so the feel is totally different. Overall though I really enjoy the class
old_dude likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.