Search
Like Tree1468Likes

GT12-RT

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 05:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think its slightly funny how one of the reasons for doing GT12 was that the normal 1/12 pan car bodies were getting to be shaped like door-stops
I'm pretty sure it was the foam tires. The class has made one heck of a resurgence after the SJT rubbers came out.

and now the GT12 bodies are every bit as low on the car.
True but they still look more like a car than an LMP.

The touring car guys are even worse. I got a new TC body that's 100% legal and its fugly, looks like the bastard offspring of a Top Fuel Funny Car and a late 90s GM EV1.
Yep USGT too. I am having a hell of a time telling the difference between the USGT bubbles and the TC bubbles.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya'll guys are funny- The bodies look great and us Guys down here where it all started are having fun !!!! Limiting the bodies is crazy- so what if they are light or heavy - it should be the drivers right to choose the body he wants to race (GT). If you are not having fun maybe this class is not for you?
RacinJ, anythinggas and mrreet2001 like this.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You want scale realism? GT12 isn't it. Race F1, VTA or Euro Truck if you are looking for something realistic.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Ya'll guys are funny- The bodies look great and us Guys down here where it all started are having fun !!!! Limiting the bodies is crazy- so what if they are light or heavy - it should be the drivers right to choose the body he wants to race (GT). If you are not having fun maybe this class is not for you?
Outside of the UK's supastock, bentouttashape's track is the first I am hearing of tracks limiting bodies. Hopefully no-one else continues down that path.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The class does need a body list. There are a ton of choices but letting it get to the point of T/C and USGT would not be a good idea. We have regular 1/12 scale for that.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We have a lot of fun racing this class in Seattle. Our rules are pretty simplistic, only put limits down to ensure things don't go crazy if that magic motor is released later. No one likes to feel forced to spend more money to be competitive in a class like this.

GT12-R: 1/12th scale pan car chassis. 750g minimum weight. 3mm minimum ride height. ROAR-approved non-timing ESC. GT12 style bodies. 3.7V 1S low-profile, short, ROAR-approved lithium technology batteries. Hobbywing Justock 17.5 Fixed-timing motor. OEM rotor only. 1.8 Minimum final drive (Spur teeth/pinion teeth). SJT spec rubber 1/12th pan car tires.

These motors are so detuned, they race like a 21.5 and changing gearing really doesn't affect performance much at all...but just in case, the minimum final drive was put down. With the detuned motors, you never really feel like another motor is faster than another. Makes it very easy for anyone to buy the stuff, put it on the track and be like everyone else. We like to think of it as a stepping-stone to our 17.5 program, which can be extremely overwhelming to a new racer, or even an experienced one stepping into 12th scale for the first time.

Last edited by Carnage9270; 01-31-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Took a few weeks away from on road as wasn’t go well

We usually run the USGT oval motor. Two of us switched back to regular USGT motor to get ready for an upcoming race.

https://youtu.be/r3GpMVXMAdg
Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Took a few weeks away from on road as wasn’t go well

We usually run the USGT oval motor. Two of us switched back to regular USGT motor to get ready for an upcoming race.

https://youtu.be/r3GpMVXMAdg
Haha, that's awesome....a mini-z track!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
Haha, that's awesome....a mini-z track!
Most of them also run GT12. Few times they have run in both same day. The new small scale cars are basically 1/12 shrunken to 1/27.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm not sure why the body rule. I think there can be good arguments for and against a rule like that, so it will come down to personal opinion. Our track is not really a business per se, but it does have a small selection for sale. Maybe those are the only bodies they can source? I don't know. I guess, I don't really care. Lots of great, close racing; and we have a lot of fun w/this class. Really broad spectrum of skill levels too, which I think is a good thing. Hope we keep this class around for a long time.

Billy, I ran the black can at The Dome while I was down there, and did not find myself at a disadvantage; although, the straight was broken up 1/4 of the way down by a big chicane at the time.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
I'm not sure why the body rule. I think there can be good arguments for and against a rule like that, so it will come down to personal opinion. Our track is not really a business per se, but it does have a small selection for sale. Maybe those are the only bodies they can source? I don't know. I guess, I don't really care. Lots of great, close racing; and we have a lot of fun w/this class. Really broad spectrum of skill levels too, which I think is a good thing. Hope we keep this class around for a long time.

Billy, I ran the black can at The Dome while I was down there, and did not find myself at a disadvantage; although, the straight was broken up 1/4 of the way down by a big chicane at the time.
I didn’t this time as much as I did 6-7 months ago. About .3 between me and the other I know running the USGT. There definitely still things on my car I need looked at by someone that actually knows what doing.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I consider the mention of a "body rule" a farce based on subjective opinions and paranoia.
First of all, arguably; all the bodies currently available are very loose stretched/squashed representations of scale GT examples. To what precise criteria would one whip up to determine what is suitable and what isn't? Worst case scenario would be what happened in USGT a few years ago - endless arguing over listings, legality, and limited availability of specified bodies.
Second of all; there is only "generally accepted" rule sets as they suit any given track/facility in region by region. There is no governing body that determines, or enforces for that matter, any specification.
I rest my case - the concept is pointless.
The class is growing - let it grow.
RacinJ, mrreet2001 and mr.rev like this.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I'm pretty sure it was the foam tires. The class has made one heck of a resurgence after the SJT rubbers came out.
If it gets people running, great. I sure hope nobody gets the bright idea that we should be running rubber pan car tires in normal 1/12, though.
RacinJ and phatboislim like this.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If it gets people running, great. I sure hope nobody gets the bright idea that we should be running rubber pan car tires in normal 1/12, though.
If it brings a dead class back. I know I won't run 12 LMP if its on foam.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
If it brings a dead class back. I know I won't run 12 LMP if its on foam.
Not one person would stop you from running the rubber tires in LMP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.