Like Tree997Likes

Schumacher Mi8

Old 10-19-2023, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

2.64:1 FDR. What has this world come down to, really...

Insiders have mentioned to me that the Mi9 or an OEM HGT kit is still a few months away... No schmacker for me now, no matter how much I like this car... Time to put the alloy chassis back on the MMX for the carpet season I guess...

Old 11-08-2023, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Alloy hubs

I've added alloy hubs on the front of the car as an upgrade for durability but it feels liked there is significant play at the axle.

I've shimmed the axle at the hex as tight as I can but it still feels jiggly like the bearing seat is loose. Anyone ever have this issue? Any tips to reduce play?
Old 11-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by melri
I've added alloy hubs on the front of the car as an upgrade for durability but it feels liked there is significant play at the axle.

I've shimmed the axle at the hex as tight as I can but it still feels jiggly like the bearing seat is loose. Anyone ever have this issue? Any tips to reduce play?

First check the bearings , they may be old & "wiggly" and need replacement. Some racers will seat the bearing in the hubs with a tiny drop of loctite 222 (purple) it's made for
easy disassembly, and be sure to clean the hubs first with acetone . Also, make sure it doesn't migrate into the bearing as it will contaminate & ruin the bearings .
melri likes this.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

I would not advice on shimming the axles more than the manual tells you. The wheel hexes will take away the slop when thigtening the wheel. Adding spacers will put extra unwanted pressure on the bearings.

As Metalcrafter says, it's per manual that you 'glue' the bearings in place with locktide (purple or blue, I use blue).

Regards Robert
melri likes this.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I just picked up a used Mi8 to give this touring car thing a try. Any words of caution or setup tips for this chassis? Common spare parts I might need? This will be 21.5 TC on black carpet for the most part.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MinusWhale
I just picked up a used Mi8 to give this touring car thing a try. Any words of caution or setup tips for this chassis? Common spare parts I might need? This will be 21.5 TC on black carpet for the most part.
Iíve been running this kit for going on a year. 17.5TC parking lot asphalt. Itís been fantastic. Im guessing you have the aluminum chassis? For me maybe hubs, arms, although costly to just have in the box and they are quite durable.
check Petit RC for carpet specific setups. Also the Manual has good factory setupsÖ
MinusWhale likes this.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MinusWhale
for spare parts : discountrcstore.com , I get parts from them in 1 day to Chicago.
Roken and MinusWhale like this.
Old 11-19-2023, 11:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone have any new Alloy HGT setups? 21.5 carpet? I'm going to test the Elliott Harper base setup for now but would love to have more reference material.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have any new Alloy HGT setups? 21.5 carpet? I'm going to test the Elliott Harper base setup for now but would love to have more reference material.
Where are you located? Im going to test mine out this weekend at beachline,
Old 11-25-2023, 04:30 PM
E.S
Tech Rookie

Hello, I'm looking for a 3d bumper print file for the Schumacher Mi8
Thank you, greetings from Germany
RaptorToto likes this.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ChadoSan
Where are you located? Im going to test mine out this weekend at beachline,
Sorry I'm in the NY area. Anyway I tried the HGT on black carpet in stock and I ended up with a setup closer to the Billy Fletcher setup instead. My opinion of HGT is that it still feels like the Mi8 but the suspension action happens more gradually and is easier to control. Makes it feel more "plush" which allows you to run springs softer without upsetting the car. But definitely need more track time to understand the new geometry and find the limits.

I'm still struggling for rotation though but it's probably because I am still using the Mi7 top arms which has less caster in the rear in HGT. I'm going to go fully into the the Billy Fletcher setup which looks to get more steering with the softer front oil/springs and 10k diff oil.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Just wanted to update the the changes worked. The Billy Fletcher setup is great in Stock on black carpet. 350cst front oil, 10k diff oil, 0.5mm under the rear hubs, blue / black springs and moving to the multilink upper arms in the rear all produce great mid corner steering and I'm able to keep up now. Now the HGT is really stable compared to the original; the setup window really is larger.

Last thing to try is the 1-dot links and see if I can lower roll centers further at the upper links while maintaining response if traction comes up higher for big events. Just want to say a big thank you to this thread. I feel like I've read through the whole thing 3x times over and taken many notes on your tips. It really helped me understand the car much better.
Robbob, gfarb and gwhiz like this.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:31 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Haven't given up on the idea of a super short chassis. As I've been struggling with traction roll in super high grip conditions, I have worked on the chassis a bit.
1. The longitudinal motormount slots are shorter around the front of the motor mount, to have the option to go stiffer by attaching the front-most motormount screw.
2. The front diff cutout has a long slot again to increase steering. I have a small cross brace I can add, to reduce front torsion flex. Since the newest Serpent has also adopted the idea I already had on the h2e four, I added the feature in again.

3-piece chassis underside

3. I improved the size/attachment of the front and rear add-on parts, and the droop screws touch the main chassis plate again
4. The bulkheads are not elevated anymore

3-piece chassis upper side
Old 12-13-2023, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you guys glue tire sidewalls in Europe? Might be a cheaper alternative to redesigning a chassis.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
Do you guys glue tire sidewalls in Europe? Might be a cheaper alternative to redesigning a chassis.
We do, if necessary (which isn't as often as with CRC black carpet though)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.