Like Tree729Likes

Schumacher Mi8

Old 03-23-2022, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Wow, that is not good! Definitely seems to be a design flaw. You guys were even using the alloy screws...not much more you can do there.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
Wow, that is not good! Definitely seems to be a design flaw. You guys were even using the alloy screws...not much more you can do there.
I used the alloy screws
Old 03-24-2022, 12:28 AM
h2e
Tech Addict

The only flaw would be that the carbon chassis fails before other parts. But to be fair we have that on soo many other cars, too. On an X4, you bend alloy parts and it costs you Xray money, too...
Old 03-24-2022, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by h2e View Post
So after destroying my h2e own design car for too many times I thought I'd have the Mi8 as a new reference car. So far the outings on a twisty indoor track have been positive, but I found you can stretch your luck only to a certain extent: As last time I had lost an ARB bearing collar, I had to remove the front ARB. This showed in a more pointy driving and the front seemed to grip too much and dig in into corners. So consistency went down a bit, and I hit more stuff than I wanted.
Even if I checked the car for each battery, I eventually managed to destroy the carbon chassis:

broken carbon chassis...

As much as I have to blame myself for the too many high speed overshoots and barrier hits, I'd have loved to see other points of failure first. Instead of a cheap plastic hub I have to replace a 60$ chassis... Should have gone for the alu chassis for indoors I guess... will there be ball head cross braces like on the Mi5?
Still, I am happy with the car, as it did take quite some beating without creating too much slope or change of setup. One has to check all screws regularly, but I guess that's normal.
On the other side I think my h2e five design with hinge pin suspension has its benefits in terms of cost-of-failures vs ball cup A arms...
You could use larger diameter SHIMS on the lower arms to spread the force (default shims that come with the Mi8) but the better option would be perhaps make a shimming plates similar to what RCMARKER has done for the AMX or X4 Kits. The wider shim block attaching for both pivot balls will strengthen the chassis and impact points. I am hoping an aftermarket company will make these plates as it makes roll center changes much easier and less time consuming to change.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

I was referring to an aftermarket company making these for the mi8

Old 03-24-2022, 02:43 AM
Tech Champion

h2e, I agree. In a crash something has to give. It's unfortunate that the chassis is the first to go but I get it. The plate like shims would seem to be a better option for shimming. Well I will be trying my car for the first time this weekend on black CRC carpet. I have the alloy chassis so I should be fine. Excited to see how it compares to my A800MMX.
h2e likes this.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

h2e, I agree. In a crash something has to give. It's unfortunate that the chassis is the first to go but I get it. The plate like shims would seem to be a better option for shimming. Well I will be trying my car for the first time this weekend on black CRC carpet. I have the alloy chassis so I should be fine. Excited to see how it compares to my A800MMX.
The bigger the shim, the wider the area the force is distributed. I am pretty sure if those types of shimming blocks where used, the screw would break or bend, or the arm would crack instead of the chassis,
Old 03-25-2022, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

The MI7 spacers will fit the Mi8. However, this will alter the flex (a little)

Regards Robert
Old 03-25-2022, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert K View Post
The MI7 spacers will fit the Mi8. However, this will alter the flex (a little)

Regards Robert
Looks pretty close to the belt. How much clearance is there?
Old 03-25-2022, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would like to know if the steering brackets used by the Tram drivers are Alu or original, Thanks
Old 03-25-2022, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Would like to know if the steering brackets used by the Tram drivers are Alu or original, Thanks
original no issues on my Mi7 or Mi8
h2e likes this.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks
Old 03-26-2022, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I remember adding a thin layer of CA glue to carbon fiber countersink holes strengthened them. Q-tip was a quick and easy way to do that.
bshookup and oldernoob like this.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Well, made it through the first race day with the car on black carpet. Only traction rolled once and didn't break anything all day... I have a long way to go but finishing 5th in the "A" was a good start. Finally Schumacher has a car that I think can win some races on high bite carpet. Tried the Krazed Builds split top decks and they were great. Compared to the one piece Schumacher top deck seemed to free the car up in the corners and create more corner speed. Inside front tire wanted to lift in the corners so I still don't have my roll centers right yet...to many things to try not enough time.
clinttredway, qcrc, Robbob and 1 others like this.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Latest set up for asphalt for 17,5 after this weekend
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mi8AsphaltLowMedGripHeroes.pdf (470.9 KB, 76 views)
Robbob likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.