Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why modified racers use shorty lipo? >

Why modified racers use shorty lipo?

Like Tree19Likes

Why modified racers use shorty lipo?

Old 01-14-2022, 11:53 PM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
mac853's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dirty place
Posts: 1,948
Default Why modified racers use shorty lipo?

Could someone tell me difference the advantage of using shorty in modified tc, please?

And why does not worth 21.5 and 17.5 stock class using shorties?
mac853 is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:02 AM
  #2  
OVA
Tech Lord
iTrader: (86)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 10,056
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Could someone tell me difference the advantage of using shorty in modified tc, please?

And why does not worth 21.5 and 17.5 stock class using shorties?
it simple .mod dont need high voltage and the shorter help lower CG (reduce traction roll)
for spec always need higher Average voltage in 6 minutes races( mean bigger lipo)
0010 likes this.
OVA is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 01:03 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,872
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
it simple .mod dont need high voltage and the shorter help lower CG (reduce traction roll)
for spec always need higher Average voltage in 6 minutes races( mean bigger lipo)
Shorty packs are typically the same height as full length. You'd get lower CoG with a full length thin height pack.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 01:37 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 1,062
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Shorty packs are typically the same height as full length. You'd get lower CoG with a full length thin height pack.
But the shorty packs are lighter. So you add weight to get back upto the minimum weight limit, and those weights are mounted much lower than the lipo CG, lowering the overall CG.
daleburr is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 02:58 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,872
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
But the shorty packs are lighter. So you add weight to get back upto the minimum weight limit, and those weights are mounted much lower than the lipo CG, lowering the overall CG.
You can do the exact same thing with the really low profile full length packs.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 06:38 AM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
Sortafast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 122
Default

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
But the shorty packs are lighter. So you add weight to get back upto the minimum weight limit, and those weights are mounted much lower than the lipo CG, lowering the overall CG.
I quoted the wrong post by mistake, thus making my original reply kinda silly. My apologies, Iíll see myself out

Last edited by Sortafast; 01-15-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Sortafast is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 06:56 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,774
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
not when you run a low profile shorty
What of it is not true with a low profile shorty? That shorty packs are lighter than stick packs of the same height (which was what he responded to)? That you have to add weight to get the car back to minimum weight? That a flat brass weight mounted directly on the chassis plate (in front and behind the battery) has an even lower CoG than even an LCG / low profile shorty? I don't quite see which of his statements becomes untrue.

The reasons why people use shorties in mod (and stick packs in stock) were already given. Nobody claims you have to do it this way or could not maybe get the same result in a different way. Still doesn't make the answers of why people (even world class pros) do it any less true.
trx-1racer and glennhl like this.
DirkW is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 AM
  #8  
Tech Initiate
 
bmwjoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 39
Default

I'm sure there are some guys that use a short Lipo in stock classes. You could make up for the difference in voltage with a really aggressive charging game. I think it has to be the right kind of track too. A larger battery will almost always have a lower IR.
bmwjoon is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 11:47 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,774
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bmwjoon View Post
I'm sure there are some guys that use a short Lipo in stock classes. You could make up for the difference in voltage with a really aggressive charging game. I think it has to be the right kind of track too. A larger battery will almost always have a lower IR.
On large outdoor asphalt track you'll usually want a full size stick pack with fairly high capacity (7000+). On indoor carpet it's not as crucial. I have two friends / club mates who, when they started on-road stock class racing (coming from off-road), bought (then) all new X-ray T4 kits but didn't want to buy new batteries and wanted to use the shorties they already had for their buggies, so they bought the Xray shorty-mounts (which in itself costs almost as much as a battery), and started out that way. This lasted until they finally tried a full size battery once after a while - both changed over to full size batteries immediately - again: talking about stock class (17.5T in this case, as there are no 21.5T or higher turn classes for touring cars over here). The punch difference, especially in the last third of the race, is apparently very noticeable. In mod on the other side, with open motors and open timing, power is always there in abundance, sometimes even too much (sometimes people don't even charge their batteries up to the full 4.20V per cell), then CoG and position of the battery's weight is what matters, and some people choose shorties for that. Others use LCG stick packs, while again others use the narrow stick packs... I'd call it personal preference.
DirkW is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
You can do the exact same thing with the really low profile full length packs.

No, you can't. Even at the same pack height the cg difference is substantial.

Ran thru this exact exercise Thurs night on my bench and I removed shocks and springs and used dummy dampers to eliminate the load var caused by stiction, put it on setup wheels to isolate effect of battery change.

Maclan 4600 vs 5500 was over 3mm cgh difference after you use the heavy battery holder to compensate.
trx-1racer and hanulec like this.
WayneKerr is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 03:19 PM
  #11  
Tech Addict
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 728
Questions??

Originally Posted by WayneKerr View Post
No, you can't. Even at the same pack height the cg difference is substantial.

Ran thru this exact exercise Thurs night on my bench and I removed shocks and springs and used dummy dampers to eliminate the load var caused by stiction, put it on setup wheels to isolate effect of battery change.

Maclan 4600 vs 5500 was over 3mm cgh difference after you use the heavy battery holder to compensate.
Super curious how you make this measurement. Do you have a picture of how its done?
Lonestar likes this.
gwhiz is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 04:06 PM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,872
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WayneKerr View Post
No, you can't. Even at the same pack height the cg difference is substantial.

Ran thru this exact exercise Thurs night on my bench and I removed shocks and springs and used dummy dampers to eliminate the load var caused by stiction, put it on setup wheels to isolate effect of battery change.

Maclan 4600 vs 5500 was over 3mm cgh difference after you use the heavy battery holder to compensate.
So don't use a pack of the same height. The longer pack allows you to maintain comparable capacity while being thinner.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 04:47 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 1,062
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
So don't use a pack of the same height. The longer pack allows you to maintain comparable capacity while being thinner.
The pack you describe doesn't exist. In mod we're using a shorty around 4000mah and 18.5mm tall. The flattest full length pack is the LRP Hyper LCG at 5200mah and 17.5mm tall.

Okay so the full length pack is 1mm flatter, so it has a lower CG... but it's 60g heavier. So once you've added 60g of brass mounts with the shorty pack, the shorty ends up with a CG around 1mm lower.
daleburr is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 05:03 PM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
Super curious how you make this measurement. Do you have a picture of how its done?
​​​​​​DNot have a photo handy, but basically it's finding the balance on four corners raise the rear axle "x" amount, note the front weight and your wheelbase and then it's math and trig by that point.

I'm sure Google would have it. My work involves motorsports and I've done this everytime my team changes cars I already have an excel sheet built in.
Lonestar likes this.
WayneKerr is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 06:12 PM
  #15  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
blanks596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles Dojo
Posts: 949
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I have very little understanding of electronics so pardon my ignorance. Does 17.5 pull more on a battery than mod? if you have a shorty 6000 vs a standard 6000 2cell, wouldn't they produce the same amount of power?
blanks596 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.