Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Difference between 2 and 3 channel radios? >

Difference between 2 and 3 channel radios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between 2 and 3 channel radios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Difference between 2 and 3 channel radios?

What is the difference between the two. I want to get a good controller but the instructions say 2 channel but all two channel are AM radios. I want to get a 3 channel so i can get an FM radio.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Ibelieve Futaba makes a two channel FM radio. I us a three channel FM and the third channel on my reciever is used tpo power my transponder. You do not have to use the third channel.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Tech Regular

what is a transponder
Old 04-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A transponder is used to get the cars lap times during racing. A 3 channel reciever would be fine, Having an extra third channel won't be any different from having 2 channels.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A transponder records where you are on a track while racing. You either have a personal transponder, which has a specific serial number so it isn't confused with anyone else's or one given to you at club.

You've seemed to have been around RC for a bit Hicksey, thought you would know all this stuff by now.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

I don't know that much about rc. I've just taken it for granted. Until the last couple of months were i've been reading all the articles in mags typing on forums and learning a little as i go. How much is a transponder.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Somebody should point out that you don't need to get a transponder since the club you'd race at would have them... A 'personal' transponder would cost us$90-100 or $125-140au.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by semper
Somebody should point out that you don't need to get a transponder since the club you'd race at would have them... A 'personal' transponder would cost us$90-100 or $125-140au.
Right, before you decide to plop down the money for a personal transponder, mae sure the track you run at actually uses them(there are AMB transponder systems that predate the personal system which are not compatible with them, so even though they're made by AMB, they can't count a personal, & in that case you'd end up wasting your money). Transponders are ONLY used to help a track's computer count laps & laptimes, they serve no other purpose. Also, you do NOT have to have a 3 channel receiver to use a PT(personal transponder), you just need a "Batt" slot on the receiver(which all receivers still have, meant for nitro cars to plug in a receiver battery pack, but they can also SUPPLY voltage when you have them in electric cars). To answer your original queston, the only real difference in 2 & 3 channels radios is that a 2 ch. can only control 2 things at once(like the throttle & steering on a car), while a 3 channel can handle 3 at once(like the first 2 things plus maybe running a switch to shift a transmission or put it in reverse, like some monster trucks can do), otherwise they're identical. The real key in picking a radio is the other features they have, like control over end points, exponential, multiple model memory, synthesized or DSM frequencies, etc. Just concentrate on those things & you'll be fine. Also, if you could let us know exactly what you'll be using the radio for(racing, bashing, what kind of car, etc.), we might be able to offer some specific suggestions on radios to look at.....
Old 04-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Also, if you are left handed, usually only the high end radios have reversable grips.