Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
X-ray X4 can't take larger pinion gears? >

X-ray X4 can't take larger pinion gears?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CNEPACE
  • 2 Post By Marcos.J

X-ray X4 can't take larger pinion gears?

Old 11-17-2021, 05:38 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default X-ray X4 can't take larger pinion gears?

Switching from Awesomatix to a new X4 to run USGT. On my AMX car I was geared 56/80 and it worked great for our track. The smallest spur I can find for the X4 is a 92. But that's not the problem when I went to put on my 56 tooth pinion, it hits the top plate. Has anybody else ran into this problem? Obviously don't want to modify the top plate. What gearing are you guys running in usgt with the X4?
CNEPACE is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:04 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (13)
 
HenryC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I have been running 57/80 in my T4'21 for USGT. I did a little dremel work on the top deck to get the 57 pinion to fit on the X4.
HenryC is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:06 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,694
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CNEPACE View Post
Switching from Awesomatix to a new X4 to run USGT. On my AMX car I was geared 56/80 and it worked great for our track. The smallest spur I can find for the X4 is a 92. But that's not the problem when I went to put on my 56 tooth pinion, it hits the top plate. Has anybody else ran into this problem? Obviously don't want to modify the top plate. What gearing are you guys running in usgt with the X4?
I would think it's imperative that you find a smaller spur than 92 teeth. Will any non-Xray spurs fit the X4?
glennhl is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:09 PM
  #4  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,672
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I would think it's imperative that you find a smaller spur than 92 teeth. Will any non-Xray spurs fit the X4?
As stated in the manual, you can use a non xray spur gear, you just need to shim it 1mm on the pulley to clear the top deck
disaster999 is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:19 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Okay so I put my 80 spur on there just using the 1 mm shims. Then the 56 pinion barely rubbed the top deck so I just went down to a 55. Problem solved!
glennhl likes this.
CNEPACE is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:22 PM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 998
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CNEPACE View Post
Okay so I put my 80 spur on there just using the 1 mm shims. Then the 56 pinion barely rubbed the top deck so I just went down to a 55. Problem solved!

Good to hear it. I had a similar question a while back when I was putting together the car. I had a Kawada spur laying around that is used for pan cars and all the holes lined up. That told me that any spur from Kawada, Kimbrough, Robinson, Roche and Serpent would work.
Sabin is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 07:24 PM
  #7  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (229)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,702
Trader Rating: 229 (100%+)
Default

There’s a X4 thread already
mrreet2001 and gigaplex like this.
Marcos.J is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.