R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default New Face for 1/12th scale?

I was at a race this past weekend in Canada and was talking with a few 1/12th scale racers.. freinds from CRC. The topic came up about different style bodies and slowing the cars down and all that stuff.

I guess the point of my thread is what does everyone think about running GT bodies or super car bodies in 1/12th scale? There is MUCH talk about realism and slowing the cars down and It has always been my feeling that at least realism should be more prominant in all classes. In 1/12th scale, running the slot car looking bodies just didnt do it for me.. and i quit 1/12th scale.. im sure im not alone???

They seemed to be on the same page at least for stock 1/12th scale... but what does everyone else think? Would that be interesting to anyone else besides me?

Personally, i feel cars from Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren ect.. would be dialed.. and perhaps would put a little more wind in 1/12th scales sail's.

your thoughts~
Keith
Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why would 1/12th scale need to be slowed down, and why would putting some ill handling bodies on them in order to provide more "realism" do anything to help? The current bodies are fairly similar to Le Mans style prototypes, I don't see the problem here...
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In a word, no.
I think the bodies are great. I look at a 12th scale body today and see an LMP car. Are they as faithfully reproduced as say sedan or oval bodies? No, but there's no mistaking what they are, sports Prototypes. And I'm not really sure why everybody insists on slowing the cars down. Its a comment Im seeing all over the hobby from oval to on-road and all over.
In fact, if anything the bigger boxier sedan bodies would turn me off.

Of course, thats just my opinion. I have been known to be a lone wolf on occasion.
CBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Why would 1/12th scale need to be slowed down, and why would putting some ill handling bodies on them in order to provide more "realism" do anything to help? The current bodies are fairly similar to Le Mans style prototypes, I don't see the problem here...
Honestly? Im not sure. I suppose just to add interest. It seemed like an interesting alternative to what is currently available.

Its like this.. i can see both sides of the arguement. I know each style of body would have its pluses and minuses.. but.. when you look at the current trend, 1/12th scale seems to be getting smaller and smaller. With the Addition of 19T tourning, i see more guys running 2 touring classes rather than one of each..

perhaps there are others who feel the same way? I am merely just trying to stimulate a discussion.. not saying its going to happen.. but if the interest was there.. why not? Personally, if this was somthing that picked up.. and the two players in the body industry backed it, i think it could be interesting.

I could have a Carpet Knife here by monday

Cbear= not sedan bodies.. super car bodies.. LOW- WIDE super car bodies.. Honestly, i wish we could do it in TC.. I hate 4 door cars... I hate the fact that my favorite body is a 4 door PONTIAC LMAO

Keith
Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

I think they've been slowed down enough by running 4 cells
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I personally like the GTP style bodies on 1/12. It was one of the reasons I was attracted to 1/12 racing, different change of pace from the TC bodies.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to muchomadness

I actually see a trend towards 1/12th regaining popularity, the opposite of it getting smaller as you noted. With so many great choices when it comes to competition kits (and they are reasonably priced), I only see a brighter future for this class.

Part of the "lure" for me was the GTP/Sports Proto style bodies to begin with......they look so sweet! 4 cell stock is mild enough, why would you want to slow them down? That's what 1/18th is for!

I've always raced 1/12th, but the reason I quite touring was because I just didn't have as much fun with it as 1/12th, plus the prices are out of control. What I really wish for is comeback for 1/10th GTP. That, by far, was my favorite class.
muchomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've always wanted to race 1/12 scale but don't have anywhere around here to do it. One of the reasons I like them is the way they look. I think most of the bodies are pretty bad ass looking. Especially bodies like the PROTO Speed12. I don't like the whole scale realism thing. I want performance. If that means that on my touring car, my Mazda looks an awful lot like the Honda next to it, so be it. I've always kind of had a thing about running "Scale" bodies for the sake of realism. Realism is for the guys who want to play in their front yard. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But we're racers. Racing, to me, is about getting the highest performance you can out of your car. That's fun to me. Struggling with an ill handling car/body just because it looks like the real thing does not sound fun at all.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Tech Master

Hmmm.. perhaps this idea is a strike out?

Seemed dialed at the time...

KB
Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How can you think this thing is not just mean looking?

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 04-07-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Tech Regular

That protoform Gtp body brings back memories. i used to race 1/10 scale stock at ranch pit shop and revolation in Pomona, Ca. 1/12th is a blast. and I loved 1/10th pan stock. which by the way is faster than most modified touring cars. and a 1/2 the cost. I would go back to 1/12th if there were some classes out here in Southern Cal. I currently run 4 cell 1/10th oval. which is still fun. i have the cells now for the class and the cars.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I have enough problems getting my 1/12th to go around the track like it should and getting a good setup. This has still managed to evade me. Putting a lousier handling body on it would not make me any happier whether it be scale looking or not.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to i_got_m8_4_$85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
I personally like the GTP style bodies on 1/12. It was one of the reasons I was attracted to 1/12 racing, different change of pace from the TC bodies.
i totally agree, im buying a 1/12 tomorrow for that reason and the fact that a lot of poeple run 1/12 scale at my track
i_got_m8_4_$85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I like the lola/can-am style. That's why I got into 1/12th scale. They are fast! I don't see why you want to slow them down unless you just can't keep up.
Attached Thumbnails
New Face for 1/12th scale?-1-12.jpg  
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Tech Addict

At Seattle Indoor 1/12 is the fastest growing class by a mile.