Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC >

CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC

Like Tree345Likes

CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC

Old 04-04-2024, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vafactor
it “only” needs about 50 grams to reach 730.
IMO the 730 limit is outdated and should probably be adjusted down to around 700 or so to reflect the fact that today’s electronic are smaller and lighter than in years past. Piling on a lot of useless ballast in order to meet an outdated weight minimum only slows the cars, works the motors harder, and wears out the tires faster.
While everything you said is true, there is no need for these cars to go any faster than they already do.
Id honestly be curious what the average kit roller weighs. We know the CRC is one of the lightest but across the board id be curious.
Robbob likes this.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My Destiny is also very light. And the A12 that I ran for a while needed a full brass plate under the battery in order to make weight. It just seems silly to me.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vafactor
My Destiny is also very light. And the A12 that I ran for a while needed a full brass plate under the battery in order to make weight. It just seems silly to me.
Full size racing they build the cars intentionally light and then utilize ballast to get the car to spec and use the weight to manipulate how the car handles so i guess that's where i look at the ballast as being a bonus as I'm not stuck trying to move the battery or other components to get the weight where i want it to be.
BullFrog, gwhiz and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quick update on my chassis dragging the track. My issue ended up being how I had the center shock mounted to the chassis & rear pod. Basically I didn't have enough length to allow the rear pod any down travel or droop. Once I fixed that issue, the car handled much more predictably. I will consider bump stops and appreciate the pics that were posted.
RacinJ, racing_jason and nik77356 like this.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by Slotrc; 05-09-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Foam tires

I realize there has been a lot of discussion already but here it goes anyway. What foam tires is everyone using on the black carpet and what size are they truing them down to. Plan on running stock 17.5. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2024, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flyintrtle
I realize there has been a lot of discussion already but here it goes anyway. What foam tires is everyone using on the black carpet and what size are they truing them down to. Plan on running stock 17.5. Thank you!
I run CRC blue/purple stripe spec tires. I true them down to 41.7 front and rear. They last 3 club races easy. I true down in two steps, a big ole bite step, then a final smooth cut. On the fronts, after truing, I'll glue the sidewall and then throw back on the truer to sand off any edge of glue with a little sanding paddle. You can really get a lot more bite out of the front by showing a little foam (sanding at an angle) at the sidewall. Can use as a tuning aid--I tend to show a little foam lip if I'm running a tall tire, but only a very small amount. I also will use my micro sanding paddle to scuff off any ca lip that pops up as the tire wears through the day. Maybe every other round, it might need, but usually doesn't need. Will really slow you down though if it is needed.
I tend to save tires for points days so I have "1 day left" tires for points days that are as fast as possible outside of doing one-run tires. In all honesty, there is very little difference between my lap times at 42mm and <39mm, so at the club level, I may even start at 42, but that's huge by today's standards, and all it gets me is one more track day on the same tire.

Also, I tend to identify the "lowest front" each week with the digital caliper at the inside (due to coning) and true both fronts to that height flat again. I can get away waiting a week, but the car starts to slow down on the 2nd day with that cone starting in the front.

My tires wear out fronts first because, despite my best efforts to set camber for wear, the car needs more camber to be faster, so I sacrifice tire to do it.

I've also run the ulti specs, but they don't fit on my hudy arbor well. JFTs are fine as long as you're using the new ackerman hole that you drill (you should be). I've noticed no difference in performance across all the spec tires at our track, so I just run the CRC because they're always on the wall. I'd run JFT no issue as well. The front shimming is a little different.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

That seems good advice for tires, but if you start to have traction rolling issue or the car is hiking the inside rear tire, using the sanding paddle to cut a hard, sharp 45 degree bevel on the outside lip of the tire (front and rear) right from the outer racing surface right to the rim and then putting a bit of glue on the fronts is a good way to eliminate traction rolling.

I had a case where the car wouldn't quite traction roll, but it would hike up on the inside of the tire and spin a 360 on the tire lip. Putting glue on in a good looking rounded tire edge didn't solve it, but a 45 degree hard bevel did.

PHOTOS: 1/12 forum
RacinJ and flyintrtle like this.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tires

Originally Posted by Razathorn
I run CRC blue/purple stripe spec tires. I true them down to 41.7 front and rear. They last 3 club races easy. I true down in two steps, a big ole bite step, then a final smooth cut. On the fronts, after truing, I'll glue the sidewall and then throw back on the truer to sand off any edge of glue with a little sanding paddle. You can really get a lot more bite out of the front by showing a little foam (sanding at an angle) at the sidewall. Can use as a tuning aid--I tend to show a little foam lip if I'm running a tall tire, but only a very small amount. I also will use my micro sanding paddle to scuff off any ca lip that pops up as the tire wears through the day. Maybe every other round, it might need, but usually doesn't need. Will really slow you down though if it is needed.
I tend to save tires for points days so I have "1 day left" tires for points days that are as fast as possible outside of doing one-run tires. In all honesty, there is very little difference between my lap times at 42mm and <39mm, so at the club level, I may even start at 42, but that's huge by today's standards, and all it gets me is one more track day on the same tire.

Also, I tend to identify the "lowest front" each week with the digital caliper at the inside (due to coning) and true both fronts to that height flat again. I can get away waiting a week, but the car starts to slow down on the 2nd day with that cone starting in the front.

My tires wear out fronts first because, despite my best efforts to set camber for wear, the car needs more camber to be faster, so I sacrifice tire to do it.

I've also run the ulti specs, but they don't fit on my hudy arbor well. JFTs are fine as long as you're using the new ackerman hole that you drill (you should be). I've noticed no difference in performance across all the spec tires at our track, so I just run the CRC because they're always on the wall. I'd run JFT no issue as well. The front shimming is a little different.
Thank you Razathorn and Desertrat. Also thanks to VaFactor