Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC >

CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC

Like Tree345Likes

CK25AR 1/12th car kit from Team CRC

Old 11-16-2021, 03:32 PM
  #16  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: N/A
Posts: 399
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Team CRC
Thanks for the input and the nice words. We are curious if the "modernized a bit" simply means the conversion to metric screws, or something else? Regarding the metric fasteners, is it simply a matter of not owning imperial tools?

The 1/12th scale market was pioneered by American companies like Jomac, MRP, Leisure, Parma, Associated and Delta. These early manufactures set the standards for 1/12th scale cars with imperial hardware, inch sized bearings, axles and wheels. Even modern 1/12th cars produced in Europe and Asia still carry imperial parts and sizes; a 1/8th front axle, the 1/4" rear axle and imperial wheel bearing sizes. While you are not alone in the metric hardware request, we find it interesting the number of racers that want metric hardware in a kit while still using a .050 or 1/16" hex wrench for a pinion gear.

As a American company and only American company remaining making onroad kits here in the USA, it seems un-traditional to forget the heavy American heritage in 1/12th scale racing. Any way... who knows what the future will bring, maybe we will make the switch to metric.

Thanks for the input.
My apologies, I missed your reply before making my last post. By modernize, I am referring a move to metric hardware, alum. chassis, and a rear spool (which I now see as an option for the new kit). I can understand and appreciate why you've made the design choices that you have. All of my other cars use metric hardware, so I own metric wrenches. That's really all there is to it. I can only speak for myself, so perhaps I am in the minority of opinion here. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to address my reply. I will continue to hold CRC in high-regard. I still run CRC bodies and tires, so you're not losing out a whole lot by me being stubborn and not buying a new kit.

EDIT: Perhaps "modernize" is not the fairest or most accurate term, but it felt close enough while keeping it concise.
bentouttashape is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 04:16 PM
  #17  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,136
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

It's sort of funny how different people look at the hobby to me. Some people pass on a fast car over 40 dollars worth of tools, but spend 50 to have a body painted. I'm not bashing anyone or anything like that, we all know someone that does those things. For what it's worth.. 82 American screws sit more square in the car than 90 metric screws. Maybe there's a good reason why the CRC guys are still rolling with the old school stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️
Racermac73 is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 04:24 PM
  #18  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,126
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racermac73
It's sort of funny how different people look at the hobby to me. Some people pass on a fast car over 40 dollars worth of tools, but spend 50 to have a body painted. I'm not bashing anyone or anything like that, we all know someone that does those things. For what it's worth.. 82 American screws sit more square in the car than 90 metric screws. Maybe there's a good reason why the CRC guys are still rolling with the old school stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's not always about the money, sometimes it's about the space.
fat500 likes this.
glennhl is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 05:37 PM
  #19  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,053
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Either you want the car as it is on not.
davidl, hobbyten, ZEe_NYC and 3 others like this.
BullFrog is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 06:11 PM
  #20  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 160
Default

Having another set of wrenches, relative to all the other stuff most serious racers bring to the track seems minor. But, the same relative size metric hardware tends to use a much bigger wrench size, so they strip a lot less easily. M3 and 4-40 flat head are virtually the same size screw, but the allen wrench size on the metric is nearly the size of a 4-40 cap head screw. I moved to cap heads on all 2-56's, and 4-40's that go on and off frequently. I say that not owning anything but CRC chassis.
ptrhahn is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 PM
  #21  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,126
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Either you want the car as it is on not.
Nope, I don't want the car. But it does look very nice and has always been priced inexpensively and most importantly, has always been very competitive. For me it's just not having to carry imperial tools, but also buy and organize imperial nuts and bolts and not get them mixed in with my metric ones. So when I got back into 1/12 I went with an Xray X12'21.
fat500 and mrreet2001 like this.
glennhl is offline  
Old 11-16-2021, 07:09 PM
  #22  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,792
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Just got mine today!!! Gluing the carbon pieces tonight and gonna start putting it together tomorrow
vafactor, glennhl and chjosi like this.
phatboislim is online now  
Old 11-16-2021, 09:34 PM
  #23  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
My apologies, I missed your reply before making my last post. By modernize, I am referring a move to metric hardware, alum. chassis, and a rear spool (which I now see as an option for the new kit). I can understand and appreciate why you've made the design choices that you have. All of my other cars use metric hardware, so I own metric wrenches. That's really all there is to it. I can only speak for myself, so perhaps I am in the minority of opinion here. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to address my reply. I will continue to hold CRC in high-regard. I still run CRC bodies and tires, so you're not losing out a whole lot by me being stubborn and not buying a new kit.


EDIT: Perhaps "modernize" is not the fairest or most accurate term, but it felt close enough while keeping it concise.

Again, thank you for the input, we are always listening and truly appreciate your thoughts. The good news is that the CK25AR has a spool AND a differential, in the box, the only car kitted with both.


We have tested aluminum chassis and they are different, but not really better or faster. Obviously, it is super easy for us to make an aluminum chassis car (and we have), but we feel it is a step backwards. Another issue is the cost, and they can bend and stay bent pretty easy. Carbon fiber usually springs back to flat. There are some excellent aluminum chassis and other products out there (like the McFactory product), no disrespect, however, we continue to win championships with our stock carbon fiber.


We have a club track here at CRC and we found that fancy, expensive, unnecessary stuff is what kills club turnouts. The rookie driver sees the pro guy drink the Kool Aid, whether is it the latest and greatest motor of the day or an expensive part (like an aluminum chassis). The rookie driver thinks he needs one to win and spends his last $100 bucks on the latest go-fast-goodie. He goes no faster, then bends his chassis and needs a new one. Next week at the club race, the rooking is gone, he found a new hobby. We like to keep it affordable and still place a premium on performance.


Check out Live RC on a Thursday night at CRC Raceway, we will have almost 60 entries in a small town in upstate NY. Then check out the history of winners at the US Indoor Champs. Over many, many years, there are A LOT of championship winners from the little track in upstate NY that use that affordable American car with SAE hardware and a cheap carbon fiber chassis. :-)


The metric hardware thing... well someday we will probably convert. It is tough being the last American company in the market. For the CK25AR, we almost included a SAE hex wrench /nut driver set in the kit. The reality is, you need maybe 4 extra wrenches; .050, 1/16, 3/32 and a 3/16 nut driver. But we do understand and we will work on it in the future.


Again, you guys are awesome, thanks for the input. Get out there, support your local track, race carpet and enjoy, no matter what brand you run or what style wrench you turn.
Wazza22, BullFrog, EricF and 14 others like this.
Team CRC is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 04:40 AM
  #24  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ptrhahn
Having another set of wrenches, relative to all the other stuff most serious racers bring to the track seems minor. But, the same relative size metric hardware tends to use a much bigger wrench size, so they strip a lot less easily. M3 and 4-40 flat head are virtually the same size screw, but the allen wrench size on the metric is nearly the size of a 4-40 cap head screw. I moved to cap heads on all 2-56's, and 4-40's that go on and off frequently. I say that not owning anything but CRC chassis.
Exactly this. Imperial hardware isn't a deal breaker to me, I love my CRCs, but using a 2mm wrench on a flathead instead of a 1/16 wrench is something I much prefer. I have also switched to cap heads everywhere I could (first thing that comes to mind is upper arm mounts).
Buckland is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 07:15 AM
  #25  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
YBSLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 2,575
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Please do not switch to metric hardware. I love my crc cars and am looking forwar to building the AR25 this weekend. Love the fact the car is American it is a real sense of pride to me. Carrying 4 allen drivers seems to fit in my tool bag with no issue and I laugh at that complaint. CRC cars run up front at our track on e regular basis. I will keep proudly representing this American made car.
YBSLOW is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 07:58 AM
  #26  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Please do not switch to metric hardware. I love my crc cars and am looking forwar to building the AR25 this weekend. Love the fact the car is American it is a real sense of pride to me. Carrying 4 allen drivers seems to fit in my tool bag with no issue and I laugh at that complaint. CRC cars run up front at our track on e regular basis. I will keep proudly representing this American made car.
^^^^ We love this guy!!! ^^^^^

Thanks for the nice words and your support, we appreciate it!
Bad Daddy likes this.

Last edited by Team CRC; 11-17-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Team CRC is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 08:43 AM
  #27  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,126
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Team CRC
^^^^ We love this guy!!! ^^^^^
You should, he just won the A Main in 1/12 Super Stock this past weekend! Great driver and really nice guy!!!
glennhl is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 AM
  #28  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: N/A
Posts: 399
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hey Frank (I'm assuming it's Frank? maybe not), I think you've defended your design choices well in the past, as you have again here, and the results certainly speak for themselves. It was not my intention to derail the topic and excitement for the new car, but if it helps to reset the balance of the discussion any, I've convinced my dad to pick up a 1/12 scale to race with me, and I talked him into getting a CK25. I'll be sure to grab some wheel time w/it when I can.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by phatboislim
Just got mine today!!! Gluing the carbon pieces tonight and gonna start putting it together tomorrow
Let's see some photos when you're done!
bentouttashape is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 10:59 AM
  #29  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 123
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

My biggest grip with the imp vs met hardware thing is cross compatibility. Had to use some one elses hub once for the main and had to get some wheel screws to go with it. Also having loads of 3mm screws for offroad kits & other brands makes it easy/ less drawers full of screws etc.
glennhl likes this.
AsphaltFlyer is offline  
Old 11-17-2021, 02:38 PM
  #30  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,379
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Switching to metric would probably help them out in sales in the long run. I know there are racers who will not buy CRC because that is deal breaker for them.

With that said, I have a few CRC cars and even having problems getting my Schumacher Eclipse 4 to work as well as my "basic" CK25.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Dan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.