R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2002, 07:06 PM   #76
Suspended

I don't now that much about the trinity lathe, but I think I had a simialar problem with my lathe. First of all is it only making the sound when the bit is cutting or just when the arm is turning? I would double check the arm spacing/ shimming to make sure that it wasn't to tight, then make sure all the contact points are well lubed. It might make the sound if the spacing on the comm is too close to the block. Hope this helps some.
Rick E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 07:10 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what version is the lathe? also how many volts are you running the motor from? you could also check the bit height. use a little scrap piece of lexan and hold it against the comm and bring in the bit slowly until it just touches. the top of the lexan should lean slightly away from the bit. this will be just above center. hope that helps
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:08 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Default FUNNY finish on Lathe

b3buggy;

From YEARS of machining experience on full size lathes, sounds like your lathe is CHATTERING. Usually caused by slop somewhere in the lathe. You need a very RIDGED structure to provide a decent cut. Also if the bit height is off, this could cause a poor cut. But the noise you described sound like chattering to me. Check all the slides and way adjustments and make sure nothing has any play in it. Should be snug but not tight with no noticable play or slop.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:48 AM   #79
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: 55 turn lathe motor

Quote:
Originally posted by markg
Slight change of subject...I'm using a Hudy lathe, and trying to figure out how to get away from the 4 cell pack. Integy sells a 12 v 55 turn motor that you can hook directly to your power supply specifically for running the lathe...no 4 cell pack. Anyone tried one of these?

markg - I have an Integy lathe motor in Xipp lathe it works fine. It's basically the same RPM range as using a regular motor with a 4 cell pack. A little more convenient but don't really know if it's worth $29.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 11:09 AM   #80
Tech Regular

thanks rod b....thats what I thought...I just dont like the pain of having to make sure I have the 4 cell charged...always seems to run out of juice just when I need it most...and $29 is cheap compared to all the other $$$ spent on this hobby...I stopped counting for my own sanity...
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:29 PM   #81
Tech Regular

I've had a Xipp lathe for nearly a year and the carbide bit has survived fine and cuts as well as it did when i got it I also clean and oil the bearings after every cut so they're still smooth and slop free.

I bought the 55t motor with it, it's great b/c u don't have to remember to charge your 4 cell pack.
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:04 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i was just wondering the 55t motors come with 0 degrees timing right.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:46 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Default problems

hi everyone i i got my lathe the hudy fully automatic one. i pulled it out of the box and proceeded to set it up from the insturctions then after it was setup i turned it on for a test it the cutting tool whent to the left then at the point where it's ment to stop it did but the slave motor that moves the cutting tool didn't so i turned it off whent back to the instructions did every thing it said but still was stuk now everyone that seen it before i sent it back says thay think the micro switch was faulty and thats why it wasn't working. anyone had a problem like this before i respect hudy for there high quality produts but for there best comm lathe availabe you woud think it would work properly out of the box.
it is brand new
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 10:13 AM   #84
Tech Apprentice

Re: problems

The Hudy Executive lathe isn't easy to setup. The instructions can be a bit confusing.

The microswitches on the part that move the bit aren't there to turn on/off the motor that turns the arm. They are there to tell the lathe that its at the end of a cut and to reverse the direction of the bit.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:57 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Default yes

i already knew that but the micro switch wont make the slave motor reverse and move the cuting bit in the other direction
Old 12-26-2002, 05:14 PM   #86
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: yes

Re: Problem
Lets make sure we're both talking about the same thing. Are you calling the two black three position switches on the left hand side 'microswitches'?

If so, when you put the left switch (facing the machine) to the left (automatic movement) and the right switch up (cutting & support) - the arm doesn't spin & the bit doesn't move across & back on its own?
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:00 PM   #87
Tech Fanatic

here is one old lathe com true I bought it in 1987 still cuts good but when dimond goes i have no opition but to have it retuled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-008f.jpg (35.4 KB, 150 views)
ilaybrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:02 PM   #88
Tech Fanatic

one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-009f.jpg (45.9 KB, 115 views)
ilaybrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:28 PM   #89
Tech Regular

the micro switches i am talking about are the ones inside the unit that sense when it is time to stop moving to the left and go back to the right you have to open up the lathe and look inside where all the electicals are there is 2 little switches next to each other there orange if you look at it for a little you can see there is 2 silver things the size of a lego brick attached to a rod with a gap between them this is how the truer is supposed to know when to stop but if the switch doesn't stop it it will try to make it continue moving
Old 12-26-2002, 09:31 PM   #90
Tech Regular

ilaybrk how long have you been racing for or should i say how bloody old are u