R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2002, 11:04 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm sure it's been asked a million times but.........Is it worth buying a STOCK comm lathe? My understanding is that they are no longer worth having ...since most are running rebuildable stock motors. Primary question / When shopping for a lathe...What am I looking for?? ...one that say's MOD lathe?
Here's the big one... Does anybody think that HUDY is NOT the best lathe ?? I was looking at a Twister but who repairs it when it breaks and where would you get parts. Are the Cobra's really any good. How about Fantom ?? Our club is looking to get one so we're really looking for top quality that can handle a lot of use on Stock and Mod motors. Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

Default Lathes

I have a cobra lathe and have been very happy with it. The Cobra lathe was cheap and was my first experience with a lathe. It is very simple and easy to use.

Now that I am using it more and more I am considering upgrading it to a Hudy tech Lathe with Ball-Bearings.
Telengard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:22 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Default Clubbed lathe

RCpigz;

For a Club lathe, I recommend getting one with the Carbide "V" blocks. They will handle the multiple users with much less maintenance than the roller bearing blocks.
Myself, I have the Xipp Mod lathe. The Hudy was almost twice the price and alot of my friends have Xipp lathes.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:36 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Hey Pops, Is the Xipp available through Integy?? Could you give me some more specifics. Carbide V blocks ??? Versus what?
Should we get the diamond bit? What else should I make sure it has or what options should I plan on. Thanks, I know this is taxing your aging brain. Last time we talked you were having problems wth those rickety fingers of yours !!
Old 12-20-2002, 11:39 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpigz
I'm sure it's been asked a million times but.........Is it worth buying a STOCK comm lathe? My understanding is that they are no longer worth having ...since most are running rebuildable stock motors. Primary question / When shopping for a lathe...What am I looking for?? ...one that say's MOD lathe?
If your stock motors have a removeable endbell the 'MOD' lathe is what you want.

Quote:
Here's the big one... Does anybody think that HUDY is NOT the best lathe ??
Hudy lathes are both top quality & top dollar (especially since they don't include the bit... add $80us). I have the Hudy Exec. and love it.

Quote:
Are the Cobra's really any good. Our club is looking to get one so we're really looking for top quality that can handle a lot of use on Stock and Mod motors.
I also have the Cobra w/Vari-Drive. I got it before the Hudy was given to me for a gift. I kept it because of the Vari-Drive, but the lathe is top notch and I still use it trackside because it is so simple to setup.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:00 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

since I have a P2K2 Pro...do I need a comm lathe? It sounds like I can just rebuild it and get new parts...instead of truing the comm. Can I just buy new comms? As you know, I am new to all this..
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:09 PM   #37
Tech Elite

unknown,
Really a matter of choice. No, you do not NEED a lathe. But do you WANT a lathe. are you satisfied with putting a new armature(with comm) assembly in your motor case after a few runs or would you like to cut the comm and get more performance and more life out of your motor. Those of us who are at a point where we're racing regularly and always concerned about the money we're spending have come to realize a lathe is as necessary as any other tool. If you're part of a club, do what we're doing....get together and buy one as a club.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Thanks dalem,
Which do you prefer...Hudy or Cobra?? Which Cobra lathe is mounted on the vari-drive?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:33 PM   #39
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

rcpigz - Yes, the Xipp Mod Lathe is available through Integy...and SpeedTech as well. There is new option to get the lathe with carbide v-blocks or the old bearing guides. The bearing guides eventually stop spinning true and the comm cuts aren't as clean. I recommend the carbide v-blocks. As for diamond bits, I've heard different stories. Big Jim Greenmeyer uses a Xipp Mod Lathe and he's pretty happy with the carbide bit. They're $4 at McMaster-Carr and he uses a diamond file to keep it sharp. Diamond bits cut cleanly but have heard way too many stories about chipping bits and wasted money. I'll stick to carbide, thank you very much.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:36 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

thanks rcpigz!

no, i am not in a club. I usually just go to the local race track and practice whenever its not a race day. I just started about 2 months ago and I would like to get everything down pat. I really dont feel like spending all the money on the lathe...but I really don't want to keep buying armatures and such. I'll have to see what my wallet would like to do!
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #41
Tech Elite

unknown,
Boy do I understand the money thing...
Suggestion...Clean the motor often.On race day clean it after each heat. If you don't have a Comm Stick..get one. Use it at least once at the beginning of each race day. This changes if the track is really dirty. Basically, if there's a lot of grit and grime.....clean it.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:49 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Thanks rod_b,
Hate to ask but... Could you give me the item number of the lathe you and Popsracer are talking about. I looked at the Integy site and just want to make sure as there seems to be at least 4 x-mod lathes available. Carbide it is !....we can always change to Diamond later.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:39 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Cool what about brushless

what about brushles motors there slowly becomeing more popular then you won't need a comm truer so if your telling beginers to get one then the standard goes from brushed to non rebuildabe brushless what do you do with yourr expensive comm lath no one wants to buy e'm
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:15 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpigz
Which do you prefer...Hudy or Cobra??
Because the Hudy was so expensive I only use it at home and only to turn the motors I intend to race with. All of my practice motors and any turning at the track are done with the Cobra and a carbide bit. IMHO the Cobra is easier to setup for a single comm turn. The Hudy Exec would be great if you had a bunch of identical arms, otherwise the endpoint & arm drive setup takes too much time.
Quote:
Which Cobra lathe is mounted on the vari-drive?
It is Cobra's standard 'MOD' lathe (don't know the exact name). I think the Cobra VariDrive unit can be attached to any Cobra lathe.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice

One thing to consider between carbide and diamond bits, is that the diamond bit will last for around 70-100 cuts where as the carbide bit will be dull after around 15-20.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote