R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-lyon
I know the potential exposure is not quite the same, as the dangerous substances are better enclosed, but many r/c items have Califoria cancer warnings: the Novak Smart Tray, battery packs, and motor brushes being just three examples.

Re the banning of traction compounds, do you think it would take long for tire companies to develop stickier tires? In full size F1 they keep trying to slow the cars down, but it doesn't take them long to get back up to speed.

I agree 100%....what is that overused saying....necessity is the mother of all invention...and I would add that change is always a business opportunity.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Should be easy for you… it’s all down hill…
LOL - in that case...sign me up!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #78
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
lol...when you are done with the umbrella can I borrow it
you surely can!

Good on you Martin for highlighting this issue. Keep up the good work.

Theres enough chemical crap out there these days that can harm or kill you without having to use on our cars too.

Its people such as yourself who are the catalyst for change and truly this situation needs to change.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have read on this forum about peoples eyes watering from the smell of traction compound at a race meet.

Surely the fact that it makes your eyes water will tell you that its no good for you lol
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

thanks loopdeloop....much appreciated. I really hope collectively we can all make things change for the better, by discussing these kinds of things and then approching the governing bodies, event organizers and manufactures to help implement some changes.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHomies
Get your gloves and call Matt Francis he is the number one hater of buggy grip..He was trying to get the owner of Sactown off road race way to bann it, I would rather bann the crybabies and find a new harmless hobby...jsut my .02....CBin
Hey Matt,

If this is true and you still feel passionate about this kind of change, adding your support to this, could only be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #81
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Hey Matt,

If this is true and you still feel passionate about this kind of change, adding your support to this, could only be helpful.

Thanks.

ahhhhhhhhhh its to late he quit thought you new...
TeamHomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #82
Tech Apprentice

I totally agree with Martin on this, I know some large races I've been at I begin to feel dizzy and lightheaded, and even get the shakes, I cannot fully blame this all on traction compound it could be a mix of many things like Motor Spray, CA glue, and Soldering.

Definately something has to be done about this, as I dont wanna be sitting in a hospital one day because of my hobby......

I have heard of some guys using Suntan lotion on their foams and got amazing grip with it, now I think we can all agree that should not be that harmful Anyone else tried Suntan lotion?
Morgan Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHomies
ahhhhhhhhhh its to late he quit thought you new...
yeah...I knew he retired, but I was hoping he might still feel passionate about this...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #84
Tech Initiate

If you were born to hang don't worry about drowning.

Do some research. Pasteurized milk causes cancer in rats.

Gotta die of something. Might as well be having fun when I go.
ohiorcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Maybe an AIRCOLOGY unit should be rented for big races.

They move a good volume of air, and do a fair job of cleaning it up. Not sure they would get the particles (fumes) that we are talking about, but they can clean smoke out of the air.....
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #86
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The following is written by a newbie - so take for what its worth.

At my club's track (RCOttawa), I beleive that only Jack the Gripper is allowed. I've never smelled anything from it and it does not appear to affect me as of yet.

I started racing in November of last year and started out without any compound. Coming to RC racing from 1:1 racing, I had some basic knowledge of suspension and felt that using compound was kinda cheating me of the satisfaction of looking for and finding a setup that would work.

Because everyone at the track were saucing the tires, I figured I'd do the same. Since I had gotten used to running without the compound, I did not like the experience.

I have a hard time tuning my car with compound. I am pretty sure its because the effectivness of the compounds is variable (amount on tire, time left on tire, time left to air dry after wiping).

From my experience in 1:1, we had to adjust the car for track conditions, weather, so on and so forth. Assuming that the overwhelming majority of the racers reading this thread have more experience than me, I have to assume that most could conteract the lack of tire compound through tuning.

If no one is allowed to use the stuff, then all are on the same playing field.

Is there another reason that tire compound *has* to be used that I don't understand?

Vincent
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #87
Tech Regular

If everyone's happy to race with silver can 540 motor, then we don't need traction compound. But the fact is many people like horse power, without sufficient grip, you just can't get power to the ground. Many tracks are undrivable without traction compound(except drifting or with silver can motor). Would you like driving around or spinning everywhere, less grip= less fun.
If you think traction compound is dangerous enough to ban it, you should ban motor spray, CA glue, etc as well.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiorcdad
If you were born to hang don't worry about drowning.

Do some research. Pasteurized milk causes cancer in rats.

Gotta die of something. Might as well be having fun when I go.
Couldn't have said it better myself Dean!! I have raced for 20 years and practically lived in a Paragon cloud for about 5 of those years. If I washed my hands before I ate, and didn't rub my eyes with Paragon exposed hands, I NEVER had a problem. There are some people who may have some type of allergic reaction to it, but a ton of racers including myself, do not. I spend 5 days every November breathing in nothing but Paragon, and I feel no worse than I do on any given day at work. Unfortunately some people are allergic to shellfish, so they don't eat it. Many people are allergic to dogs, so they don't keep them as pets. I sunburn VERY easily, so I limit my exposure to direct sunlight. I fail to see why the entire On-Road racing community should be forced to make such a significant change based on the health issues of a small minority. I'm especially critical of those begging for the ban on additives who will stand directly over the tuned pipe of a nitro car and suck that disgusting, and far more harmful, filth into their lungs.

I have the utmost respect for Martin, Tim Potter, and alot of other "Paragon haters", but not everyone has such dire effects after being exposed to these products. Wear a mask, step out for some fresh air, pit in an area away from others who use the offending product, or see if you can enact change on your local scene, but dear God don't try to make decisions for the rest of us.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 04-06-2006 at 06:45 PM.
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #89
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I get lightheaded and dizzy when I smell cinnamon. Our unique senses of smell affect each of us differently regardless of the harm certain chemicals may or may not cause.

Before a process to change or ban traction compounds is pushed forward, I think it would be wise to actually have an expert measure the true exposure to harmful agents in traction compounds as opposed to the perceived exposure which clearly is being assumed by way of smell.

I'd be willing to bet that airborne exposure to the harmful agents in Paragon are suprisingly minimal. I'd bet the fumes from solder flux and motor spray play the major role in peoples prolonged "ill" feelings after a day or weekend of racing.

The intentions here are good though... just be sure to approach it from an unbiased standpoint.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Johns

I have heard of some guys using Suntan lotion on their foams and got amazing grip with it, now I think we can all agree that should not be that harmful Anyone else tried Suntan lotion?
This is what we used a couple of years ago.Worked somewhat well.Just really messy.
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote