R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #766
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfox
Very true. But remember. You're being exposed to car exhaust fumes everyday and I don't see a lot of people boycotting or demanding vehicles be banned.
banned
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #767
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Quote:
The Italian city has banned 170,000 older cars and scooters that do not pass strict environmental benchmarks, for a trial period.
Always important to actually read the links you post. Older cars is a fairly open ended ruling. I'd be curious to see what the definition of an "older car" is.

Quote:
Milan's shopkeepers are not happy about the ban saying they were not properly consulted.
....and yet again, further proof that the most people in government only care about re-election, even at the risk of alienating the small business owner.

Although I am enjoying this 8 on 1 attack it's getting a little old.
TA-05

Regina Fastraxx RC Club - www.fastraxx.ca
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #768
Tech Elite

Quote:
Always important to actually read the links you post. Older cars is a fairly open ended ruling. I'd be curious to see what the definition of an "older car" is.

Although I am enjoying this 8 on 1 attack it's getting a little old.
It is not an attack. I am just pointing out that banning cars/motor vehicles (old or otherwise) is not as far fetched as you may think.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #769
Tech Initiate

Cows fart and contribute to global warming through methane emmisions. We should ban cows or at least install catalytic converters on them.
Carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #770
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It is not an attack. I am just pointing out that banning cars/motor vehicles (old or otherwise) is not as far fetched as you may think.
Same here, it was not meant as an attack. Just to illustrate that for every absolute either "side" (if we want to call it that) of this discussion there is a counter possible. Like I argued before, let's look at this discussion as a discussion about where to draw the line. One option is to ban traction compounds completely another is to let everyone choose for themselves. These are absolutes. Now let's discuss whether there are options somewhere between these two that we all could agree to.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #771
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Very true. But remember. You're being exposed to car exhaust fumes everyday and I don't see a lot of people boycotting or demanding vehicles be banned.
Ever hear of Al Gore?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #772
Tech Adept

Both opinions are valid. Both opinions should be voiced. This whole thread has turned into a witch hunt for the evil traction compounds. Someone has to show the other side. But hell. If everyone wants to just keep beating the dead horse that's cool with me. I've said my piece.
TA-05

Regina Fastraxx RC Club - www.fastraxx.ca
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #773
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

No one here has turned this into a witch hunt, butch up and take a debate like a real man and take the sand out of your Va&[email protected]$ .

When you open something up for debate you better be able to handle the view points of the opposite party.

Dont get mad and take the ball with you.

Look man None of us have attacked any of the guys supporting the bann, I just dont understand why an all out bann. THere is no reason to this. I say leave it up to the owners of the tracks to determine what compounds they will allow.
Then its up to you wether or not you will race at their facility. If the majority arent affected like you guys are then start your own racing orginazation and see how many people will show.
Its no different then starting your own class because you cant win against the better drivers.

Instead of banning stuff why dont you work around it, sitt in ventilated areas, if at a hotel race leave all paragon soaked tires outside the room or cover them with zip locks.

I attended the last Snowbirds and quite honestly didnt have a problem becasue I chose to use suntan lotion, which cut down on the orders in my room. Do the same, and take advantage of everyone using paragon, the track had enough of it.

Find solutions for your self and worry about your self. I still like having the choice to run what ever I want. Your personal health in reality is not a concern to all of us. Now understan We dont wont any harm happing to anyone but your are responsible for only YOU!

Start a group where you can discuss how to work around the issue to keep your health good. I still say ventilation is important, and the track owners should help.

But banning something is not the answer. People should list what they been using for traction compounds that arent as harmful.

1. suntan lotion
2 wd-40
3 simple green
4 GO-Jo hand cleaner
5 hand lotion(moisturizer with aloe)

All this stuff works its up to you what to use.

Please note this isnt intended to flame anyone just take this as an opinion. I am not forcing you to accept anything. We all have our right to choose! Dont inforce your self on me!!!!

Hector Garcia.
Sorry for the rant fellas.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #774
Tech Adept

I'm all for personal choice and freedom. The problem is that because these products release vapors and we are using them in a closed environment your personal choice to use them infringes on my personal choice not to have to breath them and there in lies the problem.
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #775
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
They would if they were driven indoors. Look at cigarette smoking indoors that is being banned or worse yet do you remember the smoking on airplanes in flight . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lano
I'm all for personal choice and freedom. The problem is that because these products release vapors and we are using them in a closed environment your personal choice to use them infringes on my personal choice not to have to breath them and there in lies the problem.
I'm for education, personal choice and freedom.

I have the freedom to race indoors where I want to,
I can educate a given track problems as far as compounds or smoking,
if I don't like it and it effects me I can make the choice to stop going to said track.

My concern is for indoor tracks where the air does not circulate.
Indoor tracks are totally different than outdoor tracks.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #776
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Interesting paragraph in Mike Quellers write up in the latest Rev-Up:

So perhaps it is time to consider the non-use of traction compounds at INDOOR events, if not for the obvious health reasons then how about for the racing reasons? And before anyone jumps out there… yes, I am affiliated with a company that makes traction compounds. This may seem strange but this fact should be ample proof of my genuine concern that this step might be the right step for the sport. We’ll keep you posted on this one.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #777
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Foam tire racing is the biggest thing going in electric on road because of traction. New racers can get around the track well even if they have ZERO setup skill and ZERO throttle control.

If traction compounds went away I am 100% sure we could figure out a way to get our cars hooked up and fast. BUT...racers would need to learn how to setup thier cars and learn how to use their throttle finger.

I am sad to say it but I think a lot of racers lack the confidence in their abilities to figure car setups out or are too lazy to want to learn and we will lose racers.

The RTR generation has spilled over in the racing scene and if they can't race, throw their car in the trunk for a week and pull it out the next weekend and still be able to get around the track they will quit racing.

I think we should eliminate traction compounds or move to more safe traction compounds but realistically I know it will probably never happen.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #778
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuncle
Cows fart and contribute to global warming through methane emmisions. We should ban cows or at least install catalytic converters on them.
I think it's Cattle-itic
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #779
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I think we should eliminate traction compounds or move to more safe traction compounds but realistically I know it will probably never happen.
Usually it happens one race or one track at a time.

Newbies are a funny lot. One of my friends is one, bought the best equipment, newest Novak brushless and complains that he cannot finish a race. . . I even told him about learning to drive slower, helped setup his car, etc... At least he is helping to keep the hobbyshop in business.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #780
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Martin or whomever started this thread....

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hig...ory?id=2900337

IS that the same stuff that is in Paragon ?

Not trying get anyones panties in a bunch...
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote