R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #616
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For TQ we found that when we put in the new ozite, that unless you had great ventilation and air swirling, the tq oil built up in the carpet and it was a mess.

Not sure if it was with the new foam backing, but it didn't evaporate. So with lots of fans, it was ok.
Changed to Jack and it was better.
It was at the time that carpet nats happened with Ruben... he changed for the same reason from tq to jack. Now I hear he's using paragon.

It's always something!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #617
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
For TQ we found that when we put in the new ozite, that unless you had great ventilation and air swirling, the tq oil built up in the carpet and it was a mess.

Not sure if it was with the new foam backing, but it didn't evaporate. So with lots of fans, it was ok.
Changed to Jack and it was better.
It was at the time that carpet nats happened with Ruben... he changed for the same reason from tq to jack. Now I hear he's using paragon.

It's always something!
Yup, I remember that at Scotty's too. I knelt down and got an oil spot on one knee that never came out
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #618
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

I had a bottle of Coppertone "Sport" in a tall, narrow blue bottle. It's made to dry a bit sticky on your skin, leaving it slip-free for when you're playing ball or biking.

Tried it on some foams, and it gave them that same grippy effect, not to mention moisturizing the tire back to life after 8 months on the shelf..

I Just put a thin coat on, let it sit for a while, even long enough to dry, then wipe with a cloth of alcohol (or motor spray/brake cleaner, your choice ). It works great, and is ready to go as soon as you wipe them..
Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #619
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
Mabuchi is not really that slow comparitive times would get me into the stock A or within a lap of stock TQ.
eh?
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #620
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
I had a bottle of Coppertone "Sport" in a tall, narrow blue bottle. It's made to dry a bit sticky on your skin, leaving it slip-free for when you're playing ball or biking.

Tried it on some foams, and it gave them that same grippy effect, not to mention moisturizing the tire back to life after 8 months on the shelf..

I Just put a thin coat on, let it sit for a while, even long enough to dry, then wipe with a cloth of alcohol (or motor spray/brake cleaner, your choice ). It works great, and is ready to go as soon as you wipe them..
Just use a dry rag to wipe them off. No need for motor spray. On asphalt we tune how much steering and grip we get by how soon before the run we wipe the tires. The earlier you wipe the stickier they are and the more up front grip you will have. You can go too far and have a real handfull for the first few laps though.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #621
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge
eh?
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #622
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Martin - Do you have an adverse reaction to TQ traction compounds? I remember them working ok back when we used it at the Novak racers before Gripper. TQ stuff is based on orange oils. People can still have topical reactions to orange oils but major systemic reactions are a lot less likely.
Hey Adrian,

I remember trying TQ a few years back. I found the traction to be decent. Yes it still did affect the skin on my hands, not as bad as paragon, about the same as jack. It was before I had developed any of my breathing and sinus reactions...so I don't know if it would have that affect on me now.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #623
Tech Elite

Quote:
The best thing I like about summer is I don't use traction compound on pavement!
Agreed!!! There are good things about parking lot racing.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #624
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA
I ,and many others I know, use traction additives on nitro sedans.
why
Because it makes my hands nice and soft. </sarcasm>
Traction of course.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #625
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA
Because it makes my hands nice and soft. </sarcasm>
Traction of course.
you may find just sugar water and the oil from the nitro on the track makes the traction.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #626
Tech Fanatic

After 225 votes....
1. We should ban foam tires and traction additives. : 69
2. We should ban traction additives but keep foam tires. : 63
3. We should use rubber tires with traction additives. : 8
4. We should do nothing. : 47
5. We should force track owners to install better ventilation systems and NOT ban foam tires or chemical traction additives : 11
6. Use "less toxic" chemicals, see post #505 : 27
Old 03-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #627
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
you may find just sugar water and the oil from the nitro on the track makes the traction.
Perhaps... but I've certainly found a couple tenths at the end of my paragon dauber.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #628
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
After 225 votes....
Though very interesting, you've not really developed a poll on chemical use in racing because you riddled the choices with the rubber vs foam debate.

Perhaps its my work getting the best of me, but that poll's data is pretty useless. Too much bias, ambiguity, and irrelevance involved.

This whole thread boils down to 2 things. How toxic are the compounds we use at the levels of exposure we experience, and where to you draw the line on what is deemed too much. The first is hard and possibly expensive to prove, the latter is purely subjective. So I wouldn't hold my breath on anything really being resolved.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #629
Tech Fanatic

Hey Keith,

Sorry you feel that this poll us useless because it covered both rubber and foam tires usage. The questions were designed to present viable options for us to vote on. These options were my best attempt at summarizing the options discussed on this forum to date as potential solutions. So the poll was not meant to be a voting on how toxic the chemicals are and where do we draw the line, because that is in my opinion to subjective and does not really help us come to a solution. I wanted the poll to be a positive step toward's our community agreeing on potential solutions.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #630
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Is it your community any more though Martin? I have been told you have sold all your stuff and informed all your sponsors you are no longer going to be part of the hobby....?

The problem when you start introducing too many options in a poll, is it makes it difficult to figure out if people would of voted a different way if one of the variables was not available......

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 03-25-2007 at 11:24 AM.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote