R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #421
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShowNoGo
Hey,

The synthetic/man made compounds debate is true, long term results are still unknown though, but it's been around a while.(sounds familiar ? ) Just the same, I'd still prefer to use a good Willow tea, or the like, to get rid of the head ache that the Traction Compund would give me. Way Too much tea will give ya cramps, unlike the modern derivative. A little too much ASA will kill you.

Jeff
White Willow (salicin - or ASA) is overused today, too many andrenal problems in North America already... I would rather use Chamomile with a touch of Cayenne... but like you said, a little off topic. (Can you tell what industry I am in? )

Back to topic - finding a solution to the use of chemicals for traction compound.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Oh peter and eddie you guys are a hoot! You guys crack me up and many others who have pm’d me. They love how you show the love for the NW racers! Honestly, I get a good laugh knowing how you will respond to my posts. Please keep responding! Show your stuff!
please keep calling all the people that you think are your friends, because when they tell me how you call crying to them... well i get to laugh for like 10 mins or so
Quote:
So, if a few of the guys mentioned to you at a series race, (before I even closed) that the paragon bothered them, (just headaches) you would have thought about changing it?
Yeah, right. Everyone knows that peter decided that paragon would be used. No big deal. As I said, most racers accepted it. They just want to race. Same way for the oval racing at Mount Vernon. They don't like it, but they race.
yep, i did say from the beginning that we would allow paragon... mostly becuase i hated much the grip sucked at your track and wanted ours to be better.

Quote:
And they tell me about the races and how it went because I care and listen, it's not hooks. Gads, you all are so very funny.
well from lots of people that came from your track, apparently they tell you things about whats going on with racing and you make up your own radical ideas about what that means. but hey if thats funny to you, then you are entitled to your own sense of humor.

Quote:
We know there are no easy answers for any of the racers or tracks. Some people get headaches from Paragon/Jack/Niftech etc. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be addressed and maybe better alternatives checked into.
Don't give up.
i get headaches from staring at the computer screen for hours, and they say its bad for your eyes too

Quote:
Rumor has it that the problems with Jack at the IIC were probably from the undetectable (and secret) additives put into the Jack. It’s still a great race and everyone will be back. Even without the paragon. Imagine that!

But the thing is: whether it's Vegas, Cleveland, or wherever, even if the track never EVER grooves up--- everyone is still driving on the same track under the same conditions. It’s a great race and everyone is having a good time trying to figure out what to do to go faster. That's what it's all about. Good competition.
And everyone is breathing the same air.
most of the products come with warning labels. i picked up a can of paragon yesterday and there is a warning right on the can that states the product contains oil of wintergreen...

i have probably dremeled enough CF, absorbed enough traction additive, enhaled enough motor spray fume, drank enough energy drinks, and smoked enough cigarettes at r/c tracks in the past few years to kill an elephant....

there are health risks involved in lots of things that people have a passion for, but im pretty sure that someone working on john force's car would not give up their spot on the pit crew for anything... even if that means sucking exhaust fume from a funny car all day, which im guessing is a little more dangerous than paragon.

but hey.... a little exposure to a few smells is not an option... i hear that knitting is pretty safe.

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #423
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson

yep, i did say from the beginning that we would allow paragon... mostly becuase i hated much the grip sucked at your track and wanted ours to be better.

That was when the new style carpet was installed, we were running TQ orange and that really sucked, but the Stockton track had the same problem, after switching to Jack the traction came up on both tracks.
You and Trav didn't have probs at the last 2 day at Rain City when everyone was running Jack.
The size of the building and roof height have the most to do with ventilation making Paragon useable without the ill effects.

The only thing hazardous to you is a Tmaxx with the electric starter.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #424
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
That was when the new style carpet was installed, we were running TQ orange and that really sucked, but the Stockton track had the same problem, after switching to Jack the traction came up on both tracks.
You and Trav didn't have probs at the last 2 day at Rain City when everyone was running Jack.
The size of the building and roof height have the most to do with ventilation making Paragon useable without the ill effects.
thats because trav and i ran my own blend of traction at the last two day.

Quote:
The only thing hazardous to you is a Tmaxx with the electric starter.
oh man! all that therapy down the drain! thanks alot fred

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #425
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default it doesn't hurt me, so it's okay

How many times will people come on this forum and say that they drank paragon, sniffed carbon fiber and used motor spray to wash their hands for the past 5 years, and.. THEY ARE STILL ALIVE?

Guess what, for every 100 smokers, a certain number will die of lung cancer, and a certain number will live to 100, what do you think the odds are if you smoke 2 packs a day? (A hint -> Not good)

I just don't understand the fierce loyalty to certain products. If everyone is using the same thing, the grip gained or lost doesn't matter.

I am glad to see that at least some people are realizing that bringing their kids to big events is not the best thing to do. (So maybe the time that Martin and those who support his effort spent on this forum will do something.)

It is amazing how much this entire debate mirrors the smoking debate. Same rational, same excuses, same everything. I'm just glad that those in power (that being the important thing) decided to protect people and did the right thing.

When will the ROAR commitee/board step up?
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #426
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As long as cigs and Paragon are legal, we will keep using them.
Kinda like the helmet laws, I always wore mine, but I didn't force anyone else to wear one.
Self responsibility, don't wait for the gov to force you to change.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #427
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

And it's good to know that you guys cheated for your win! Good job.

And don't forget alcohol Fred.

People have to make choices.
And pressure did help with the smoking, car seat safety, flammable clothing for children, asbestos and many other health and safety issues.

So, just like anything else, you have to speak up to the powers that be and let them know how you feel. If you care.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #428
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OK, thanks for the help everyone, not even the doctors could figure out my problem. 24 years of traction compoud must be it Scotch please
Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #429
Tech Master

Default helmet laws

So lets see, if someone is riding without a helmet on a motorcycle and you are in a car and you hit them (accident) and they get a brain injury because they were not wearing a helmet, who do you think will pay for their injuries, you or them? (A hint, you.)

Personal responsibility is great, but doing something because you can, not because you should usually doesn't work out well. This is a discussion on the health risks of traction compound, not on personal responsibility, because the only way to get away from the traction compound in indoor racing is not to race. As to the issue of smoking, do you think that everyone should be allowed to smoke wherever they want, regardless if anyone objects to it?(The law doesn't agree)

On to something else. Do you think that the chemicals, tire truing smoke, headaches, etc have anything to do with why the number of r/c racers keeps shrinking, and racers are quitting? One of the side effects of doing something about this is that you will probably see more racers. The same thing happened when municipalities tried to ban smoking in bars and all of the bars protested, saying their business would die. Last time I looked, in this area anyway, business in bars is up.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #430
Tech Initiate

Default Traction Compound

I have been racing for around 12 years now, I have heard this debate for just as long.

The answer is simple ban the use, the racing will not suffer.
I know Martin and I have seen the effects this has had on him, and I have felt them myself at times especially when I use to race Oval.

ROAR should lead the way and Ban the use. Then each club from there will make the determination.

It is that simple, many have done just that, they have stoped using Paragon at many clubs for that reason. That is not to say that the other stuff is that much better.

The key factor is that the fast will remain fast and the rest will have one less setup to have to deal with and learn how use properly.

We do not need the Sauce.

I think I'll create a new Racing Team, No Sauce Racing LOL.

George Bousioutis

XRAY T2007 / Associated B4 / IRS Rug Rat
www.fastcats.ca / www.sidsraceway.com
ENERGY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ITs like talking to the wall in here some times...

I guess this should be the question:
Would u continue to race if all your local carpet tracks banned all traction compounds?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #432
Tech Initiate

Why has no Manufacturer or ROAR Board member post a reply to this subject?
We all know that this is being looked at by all of them and is being discussed.

Yet no reply post.

George B.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #433
Tech Initiate

I know that I would. Just buy softer Tires

George B.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #434
Tech Master

Default stop insulting walls

Joel, stop insulting walls, they haven't done anything to you (unless you crashed into them and broke your car!)

This is worse than talking to a wall, because a wall doesn't have a brain, and can't be rational.

As for why ROAR board members haven't chimed in, do they ever chime in? Does any governing body listen to its constituents until their positions are threatened?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #435
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
ITs like talking to the wall in here some times...

I guess this should be the question:
Would u continue to race if all your local carpet tracks banned all traction compounds?

Is a frog's butt water tight? Of course I would!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote