Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
is there any chance of re-packaging your products specifically for rc use... not many of us need a quart of anything...other than gatorade... lol
Buy a quart of it and transfer some into a smaller bottle to take to the track.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Martin - Did you ask about which compound he felt was be the most useful for R/C racing? I think that we could come up with $25 to buy a quart to try. I personally am not sensitive to any of the current sauces that we use, but I would like to be able to find one that is not quite so toxic.

Later, Lee
Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rransom
Actually I said a lot more than that. If a chemical is on any hazard list it needs to be listed but in the first section of the US MSDS it is MAINLY concerned with carcinogens and potential toxins. This includes chemicals with exposure limits. There are also some states that require special information. California is one of these states. We use no California Proposition 65 chemicals. We use no SARA 313 chemicals (Federal EPA list), We use no mutagens. We use no teratogens. We use no carcinogens or suspect carcinogens.

In the first section of our MSDS's we also include items that are not required to be listed but we want to bring attention too.

We use no raw materials with a HMIS code or NFPA code for Health high than 1.

~SNIP~

Randy Ransom <|*+[|] (_o^o_)
Chemist for Track Tac™
by ATTL Products, Inc.
.tracktac.com.
[email protected].
+1 (336) 474-3500 office
+1 (336) 406-2885 mobile
Hi Randy,

Thank you for coming into our litte world I was wondering what your thoughts are on using your products (specifically the Track Tac SST and the PRW-Green) on our tires. Our tires do not have as much "natural rubber" in them and (I believe) have more synthetic compounds in them than (I think) Kart tires do. The last tire we ran on asphault that had a "high" (non-synthetic) rubber content in it was the Proline S3. No one uses that tire anymore as it would only last one run before being destroyed. Do you think your compounds will work for us? I am eager to give them a shot if you think they will work for us.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Martin my prayers are with you. I know a little of what you have gone through with the traction compounds. It's terrible what you have gone through. The companies should be forced to answer the questions you have asked. The worst thing is that you so much enjoy your hobby and this really makes it tough to compete. If there is anything I can do let me know. I will do what I can.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If I read the brochure right Trac Tac should work fine on rubber tires on asphalt but what would it do to a foam tire or a carpet for indoor racing?
It seems to work by softening the rubber... that might not be a good idea for a foam tire.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeeS
Martin - Did you ask about which compound he felt was be the most useful for R/C racing? I think that we could come up with $25 to buy a quart to try. I personally am not sensitive to any of the current sauces that we use, but I would like to be able to find one that is not quite so toxic.

Later, Lee
Hi Lee,

Based on my conversation with Randy this morning I have ordered the SST, the PRW Green and the DRT Orange to test out. He is also going to send me some water based stuff that he currently does not sell, if I understood correctly. I hope to test it out over the next few weeks to see how well they work etc. I purchased smaller 125ml bottles that he sends out as testers.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Chris. I believe that as a group we can affect some positive change here.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ottoman
If I read the brochure right Trac Tac should work fine on rubber tires on asphalt but what would it do to a foam tire or a carpet for indoor racing?
It seems to work by softening the rubber... that might not be a good idea for a foam tire.
Yeah, we will have to test it. When I used paragon at cleveland this year, it made my foam tires too soft, so much so that when just rubbing in the tires before the race I chucked the tire...ooppps. The paragon had been soaking on the tire for about 25 mins before the run....clearly I put it on too soon. I noticed similar results with corally, but not as extreme. Niftech since it drys so quickly does not seem to soften the foam as much, but I don't have any metrics to support that....just a theory.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Randy. Out of curiosity, why are you not able to sell your product in California if it meets all these standards?

John,

It is because the California CARB AND AQMD laws are county by county and we don't have the legal resources to keep up with this. We can make similar products to what we currently offer, that meet the strictest of the CARB laws but the people in California that are using our products are either having them sent to them privately or picking them up in a bordering state. Our competitors are selling their products in California but it isn't worth the potential fines for us to pursue the business in California with our current products. It is easier and safer for us just to say "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORINA".

Hope this helps

Randy
Old 04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Advil
Hi Randy,

Thank you for coming into our little world I was wondering what your thoughts are on using your products (specifically the Track Tac SST and the PRW-Green) on our tires. Our tires do not have as much "natural rubber" in them and (I believe) have more synthetic compounds in them than (I think) Kart tires do. The last tire we ran on asphalt that had a "high" (non-synthetic) rubber content in it was the Proline S3. No one uses that tire anymore as it would only last one run before being destroyed. Do you think your compounds will work for us? I am eager to give them a shot if you think they will work for us.

I don't profess to being a tire expert, but it is my understanding that the natural rubber is where the hardness and durability come from. I got this from one of the web sites for companies that manufacture tires for heavy equipment, Earth Mover etc.. I do know that our products work on both natural and synthetic rubber. We can build grip while having very little effect on durometer readings, we can soften or we can soften and build grip. We can even add soil repellent to the tires.

Hope this helps

Randy
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

I thought that the lower the NFPA numbers the more hazardous a chemical. A fire hazard of 1 has a lower ignition point than 2.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by volracer
I thought that the lower the NFPA numbers the more hazardous a chemical. A fire hazard of 1 has a lower ignition point than 2.
As information.

HMIS
Hazardous Material Identification System
0=Minimal 1=Slight 2=Moderate 3=Serious 4=Severe
H=Health F=Flammability R=Reactivity PP= Personal Protective Devices

NFPA
National Fire Protection Association - the same codes for Health, Flammability and Reactivity but during an actual fire.
NFPA is in a diamond formation 4 diamond in 1 large diamond the last identifier is used for special precautions rather than personal protection.

The forth diamond may be a W with a single hash mark which means use no water. It may say OXY which identifies oxidizers are present and there are other items that may be in the forth diamond. It is the NFPA identifier that you see on the outside of buildings that contain chemicals ( in the USA ).

When you see it on the outside of a building it is the worst case for each item. If there is a chemical in the building that is h=1, f=3, r=0 and another chemical that is h=3, f=2, r=2 and these are the only two chemicals in the building the building is marked h=3, f=3, r=2

Hope this helps

Randy

Last edited by rransom; 04-10-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: fix typo's
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Suspended

I have never had a headache while racing until this past Sunday. The smell of traction sauces was in the air like I have never encountered (poor ventilation). I am not sure that it was the sauces or just a headache from getting up so early and being tired but as soon as we left my headache also left...
Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

rransom,

can you hook me up with your traction compound..i would like to buy and test it on our local aspalt track.thanx
Old 04-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Martin, this is a great topic of discussion as I've just read through the entire thread. There are arguements to be made for both sides, just as the tabaco industry and the health care industry have done the same.

The fact is "we" the racers should have choice as to which traction compunds if any we should use and even which products to use. (I personally have been going through a number of medical test and health issues and started wondering if the exposure to all these chemical for years may have something to do with it...)

Now I'm not going to single out one type of product, because we all work with so many different products (ie: paints / motor spray / denatured alcohol / traction compounds etc...)

I will say this, "we" need to somehow get the manufacturers to disclose what chemicals are in each products and the known dangers of such chemicals.

I stopped using "pactra" laquer paints after the Company started posting warning labels on their spray cans...it made me started to think twice...

Personally, I'm much more careful with the handling of certain products. I not ready to give up this hobby but my focus will be to minimize my exposure to the chemical by-products...

This is a very important concern and perhaps ROAR needs to consider implementing certain safeguards to its racers....for starters a guidline to handling chemicals needs to distributed to members. (ie: which glove types work best when handling certain chemicals, the enforcment of proper ventilation at tracks, disclosure by manufacturers of which chemicals are used and maybe even an elimination of certain products which are know to contain harmful agents)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.