Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Motor dies on straights, ESC? Battery? >

Motor dies on straights, ESC? Battery?

Like Tree17Likes

Motor dies on straights, ESC? Battery?

Old 09-12-2021, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor dies on straights, ESC? Battery?

Setting up my first 1s LMP12 car, and I'm having a curious problem no one at the track was familiar with. Brand new HW 1s Just Stock ESC, new 1s Protek 120c battery, and new Reedy S-Plus Competition Spec motor. I was running a 40p/80spur gearing to start.

On the workbench, the car seems fine, and I can run the motor wide open for a while. But on the track, going down the long straight, the motor starts loosing power. I can hold the throttle at full, and the car will come to a complete stop. Off, back on, and it goes again.

Before I go speculating too many thing, I thought I'd get some input from everyone here! Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ken
Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Royson3 View Post
Setting up my first 1s LMP12 car, and I'm having a curious problem no one at the track was familiar with. Brand new HW 1s Just Stock ESC, new 1s Protek 120c battery, and new Reedy S-Plus Competition Spec motor. I was running a 40p/80spur gearing to start.

On the workbench, the car seems fine, and I can run the motor wide open for a while. But on the track, going down the long straight, the motor starts loosing power. I can hold the throttle at full, and the car will come to a complete stop. Off, back on, and it goes again.

Before I go speculating too many thing, I thought I'd get some input from everyone here! Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ken
does it shut off then reboot again?
could be to load for the esc or something inside unsoldered and cooled down in the wrong spot.

The latter of the 2 caused a big fire for my 8s set up a few years back
Old 09-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Based on you saying it'll go full throttle on the bench just fine, but on the track at full throttle the shutting down sounds like a thermal issue. I'd swap the ESC and test again, and be thankful the end result is just a shutting down incident, not a fireball.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

If the issue is regarding motor functioning only (and not steering), I'd check the ESC wires, specially the ones that go to the receiver.

It could be as simple as a loose contact. I've experienced those when wrapping those wires too tight, and the effects were the same as you've told.
illmatic94 likes this.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check your sensor wire is plugged in fully at both the motor and ESC. I had an issue with a HW 1s Stock Spec ESC where it would look like it was getting full speed on the bench, then once out on the track it would start to slow, then actually shut off! I ended up changing out my sensor wire and it worked perfectly after that.
Billy Kelly and Royson3 like this.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
Check your sensor wire is plugged in fully at both the motor and ESC. I had an issue with a HW 1s Stock Spec ESC where it would look like it was getting full speed on the bench, then once out on the track it would start to slow, then actually shut off! I ended up changing out my sensor wire and it worked perfectly after that.
We did check that at the track, but didn't change it out. I'll do that as a first step, since that sounds very much like what's going on here. If not, Plan B.

Thanks to everyone's help. I'll update as soon as I've figured out the cause!
Old 09-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
This is where I would start - change the sensor wire.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I normally never have electronic issues, but I had this same EXACT issue this last Saturday. I changed ESC's and it still would do exactly what you described, very frustrating. But I didn't think about the sensor wire until I got home. I'll try that and hope it fixes it.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It sounds like a big glitch...Put a glitch capacitor on the receiver to stop the glitch...
Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Those symptoms sound like LVC might be kicking in for some reason. What does the min voltage value show when using the data logging feature?
Lonestar and mrreet2001 like this.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Did you disable motor thermal protection? Lots of problems using Hobbywing ESCs with non-Hobbywing motors. From Hobbywing: For non-Hobby wing motor, the ESC may get this protection activated too early/late because of the different temperature sensor inside the motor. In this case, please disable this function and monitor the motor temperature manually.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

I disabled min voltage, motor temp, and esc temp and still had the issue.

EDIT: I am hoping it's a sensor wire problem, but I just buzzed out the sensor wire, pin to pin, and it was OK. I was using borrowed speed controls Saturday so I went ahead and ordered a new HW 1S Stock Spec and it should be here this week. I am at a lost of what was going on last Saturday.
Insane likes this.

Last edited by glennhl; 09-13-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I disabled min voltage, motor temp, and esc temp and still had the issue.

EDIT: I am hoping it's a sensor wire problem, but I just buzzed out the sensor wire, pin to pin, and it was OK. I was using borrowed speed controls Saturday so I went ahead and ordered a new HW 1S Stock Spec and it should be here this week. I am at a lost of what was going on last Saturday.

If that doesn't work, swap motors or sensor boards.I had a R1 that did that to me and had a bad sensor board.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

OK, I think I found my problem, won't know until my speed control gets here. For some reason I was quickly reading the Hobbywing manual and I saw that you set the throttle to REV on your transmitter. Well, that's wrong, you only do that if you have a Futaba Transmitter. I have Sanwa and all my other models are set to NOR. What I can't figure is why it actually worked for one heat, then went nuts.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
OK, I think I found my problem, won't know until my speed control gets here. For some reason I was quickly reading the Hobbywing manual and I saw that you set the throttle to REV on your transmitter. Well, that's wrong, you only do that if you have a Futaba Transmitter. I have Sanwa and all my other models are set to NOR. What I can't figure is why it actually worked for one heat, then went nuts.
That setting is largely irrelevant as the calibration process of the ESC will auto detect the correct direction. It matters on my Team Powers ESC, it'll refuse to calibrate if not correct, but all of my Hobbywing ESCs work correctly regardless of that setting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.