R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-18-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default I have to make a choice, gas or electric

I have been racing 1/10 gas trucks for about 2 years now. I am about to get into one more class. I cannot decide if I want to try indoor for a while and buy a RC12L3 and all the supporting hardware, a RC10B3/XXX KE and hardware, or maybe an Kyosho MP7.5 and stick to strictly gas off road. Are any of you guys who race electric on road also involved in off road of any type and are the differences between the two driving styles affecting you at all? I used to race 1/8 scale buggy's so I already know how they handle and have experiance with them. I have never touched a true on road car though, just little play toy sedans for fun like the 4 Tech, to buy a MP7.5 and motor is about the same as a RC12 and good peak charger and 3300 matched batts. Therefore money is not a deciding factor. Either way it will cost me about 700 bucks. Any input from people who race both or have in the past would be appreciated. I also only race them, other than that they sit on the shelf or go to the track and do practice laps. Thanks in advance guys.
slodsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Tech Regular

hmm, can I get a little help here? I see there are a lot of guys here who race regularly, probably quite a few near pro level. I know some of you have to do on and off road classes that could help me out.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

it's going to be difficult for people to help you because you are asking for pretty subjective input.

What are the tracks catered to in your area? Which class will have the more competitive drivers? Where will you get the most runtime? What are your goals with the class? Which appeals to YOU more?

Gas off-road and electric on-road are very different, but I'm sure you know that. It would be hard for someone here to help you decide since you know your racing environment and racing desires the best.

Last edited by patelladragger; 12-18-2002 at 09:35 PM.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Onroad drivers are usually very fast offroad but seem to get bored because offroad cars seem to be slow and lazy. Remeber Joel Johnson '87 worlds winner and tq of '93 worlds. Doesnt run much offroad but was fast when it counted. I used to run 2whl & 4whl mod offroad and i love touring cars. They are just little rocket ships when you strap in an 8turn.
Jack Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Here in Eastern NC, we have about an equal number of on and off road tracks. Problem is, During the winter, there is almost no off road racing. It rains all the time and all the outdoor track but one are out doors and even the indoor one closes down. My home track races year round and has a huge turnout during the winter months because we are practically the only one open in the state nearly. The reason I find on road electric so appealing is there is a race every friday and saturday night somewhere withing 2 hours of my home and they are year round. My LHS owner races both indoor and out door. His personal indoor track is a carpet oval which is what I was thinking of starting with a RC12L3. He races every Saturday night with about a 20 person turnout average unless there is a bigger race elsewhere and then he packs up and heads there. Just seems to be more consistent with carpet. I can go for 6 weeks without touching my nitro off road truck because of rained out races and so on. I am not the type who can crank his truck up and run around the yard and have fun, I find it kinda pointless but when I am competing against another 9 people, most of which are better than me, I love it. Wow, I got long winded. Anyways patelladragger, I am not asking for people to help me decide, I may have worded my first post wrong. What I am asking is when you go from a high bite track on Saturday night somewhere racing a carpet car to a loose dirt track with triples on Sunday, are your driving skills affected by the two tottaly different environments you race. I know I want to race indoor but from Racing monster trucks, 1/8 buggies, and Stadium Trucks, I found I had a nack for the Trucks and sold all of my other stuff and concentrated on that. Now I am a consistent top 5 A main at my local track against 20 or so regulars on race day and decent at other tracks as well, B to A, I am thinking of finding a class to race indoor but don't want to throw away all my practice at becoming competent at off road. Does that make a little more sence? Jack smash, I see what you are saying as well. Hmmm, decisions.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

hey slodsm,

sorry for my post. Your initial one wasn't worded wrong - I apparently read it wrong

I'm a complete newbie in 1/12th, but the one time I raced the class It was very fast and I could tell that it will only help my driving for other classes. I primarily focus on on-road nitro, but I am now using 1/12 for winter stick time and reflexes.

I race a gang of different on-road classes, electric and nitro, and sometimes it takes a few laps to get the feel for the class when switching around same day - but stick time helps more than hurts IMO.

Now I raced a xxx-nt for a hot minute but I didn't enjoy off-road because it seemed the racers weren't as good and the corner speeds were slow-motion. Off-road seems like you need as much or more throttle control than on-road, but on-road seems like you need faster,smoother steering inputs to be really good.

This may be why on-road racers usually do well off-road but sometimes off-road guys can't run the same level on-road. (See fast-losi-off-road-pro-driving-for-trinity-whose-name-we-won't mention's results at the ROAR on-road 200mm nats '02).

I will say I've heard some very experienced electric sedan racers don't like to run sedan and 1/12th simultaneously when preparing for major races because they've said 1/12 "timing" is different.

But in your case off-road is different enough and you'd never run the two on the same day so It's probably a non-issue. I would think it would be hard to un-learn what you know in gas, but running electric does help you with taking good lines and focusing on maintaining corner speed. Plus if you're going 6 weeks no racing it's a no-brainer - get your 12th and hit the track.

Around these parts (TN,AR,LA) 1/12th is making a strong comeback and it seems less expensive than sedans.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote