Like Tree991Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-30-2021, 05:05 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

Print Wikipost

Old 11-25-2021, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G.Fabbiani View Post
Just a question here, not judging anyone's driving abilities...........How hard are we actually hitting things that we are bending these clamps and breaking the steering plates?
That rollover bent both the upper clamp and the lower bulkhead.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone think the issue could be caused by the lack of body posts which used to help cushion roll over impacts?

Am asking seriously as I plan to change the rear body posts from vertical to horizontal on my current car (not an xray) but i would avoid it if this is a cause of concern.
glennhl likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tak4 View Post
Anyone think the issue could be caused by the lack of body posts which used to help cushion roll over impacts?

Am asking seriously as I plan to change the rear body posts from vertical to horizontal on my current car (not an xray) but i would avoid it if this is a cause of concern.
I don't think it's likely to be the body posts. Rollover impacts do most damage when the wheels have a side impact with the ground. Landing on the roof does a decent job of cushioning the blow.
sosidge likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Have any one experienced missing parts in their X4 package? I already knew two friends with such experience - one is missing a damper shaft, and one is missing the a rear body post. While they can easily get the parts back from the distributor, it still not a good thing.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mpowell_au View Post
Rolled my X4 today after clipping a cub but didn’t hit anything - and the front upper bulkhead clamp bent. This shouldn’t happen…

Found the security camera footage of the rollover that caused this damage:

Barely touched the kerb.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:50 AM
No9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
https://youtu.be/IymH5QcTqWg
That rollover bent both the upper clamp and the lower bulkhead.
Wow there wasn't much in that rollover to cause that much damage. I'm not an Xray hater but it makes you wonder if it's a material quality issue or design flaw or both. They need to sort this out quickly because they've always been known for quality and durability .
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by No9 View Post
... it makes you wonder if it's a material quality issue or design flaw or both.
It's definitely a design flaw. Mugen and Awesomatix have this part as more or less flat piece, while X4 has cutout for bearing, with notches even further reducing thickness right in the middle, in tiny spot.
No9 likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Papi View Post
It's definitely a design flaw. Mugen and Awesomatix have this part as more or less flat piece, while X4 has cutout for bearing, with notches even further reducing thickness right in the middle, in tiny spot.
Dump the fancy chamfer they put in it, that will add more material and give it some strength.
Sometimes fancy cosmetics are the devils tool lol.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Dump the fancy chamfer they put in it, that will add more material and give it some strength.
You can see from the photo of Bruno's car above that they have already added an extra millimetre of material across the top of the clamp.

They've acknowledged this issue and got parts with a "production-quality" finish out on the team cars already. I suspect they knew these was an issue before they launched the kits (simultaneous global release means they would have been manufactured weeks earlier). Hopefully they'll have a care package for customers that bought from the first batch. I remember getting a stack of free parts from HPI after the Pro3 was released.
Robbob, No9 and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Unfortunately there are sometimes downsides to being an early adopter. If you buy the latest smartphone, it will cost more than if you wait a few months. And you may find issues that are fixed in later batches, like the iPhone that had no signal when picked up. Personally I've never purchased a car (or phone!) from the first batch. I'm happy to wait a couple of months and let others find the issues.

I think Xray said they had 15 prototype cars out in the world, so they will have found a good number of issues. But it's never going to find every single issue, especially as the cars were all in the hands of good drivers who rarely crash. The early adopters, like it or not, are still going to find a fair few issues on an almost 100% new design.

They had similar durability issues on an early XB4, and provided a free upgrade package to all customers. Maybe they will do the same here.
Lonestar and sosidge like this.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Unfortunately there are sometimes downsides to being an early adopter. If you buy the latest smartphone, it will cost more than if you wait a few months. And you may find issues that are fixed in later batches, like the iPhone that had no signal when picked up. Personally I've never purchased a car (or phone!) from the first batch. I'm happy to wait a couple of months and let others find the issues.
[...]
The early adopters, like it or not, are still going to find a fair few issues on an almost 100% new design.
yup... Xray X4
and again the comparo with apple (tesla being in the same boat) is spot on, with the same strong customer/fan base.

the next MY will be a fantastic car
Eotz likes this.

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-25-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

If I were to buy one to run on both asphalt and black carpet, which one?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
When was the last time Team Losi did a touring car though. They have only just started to get back on track with the race side of things which I would say has mostly been down to the success of their RTR brands such as Arrma and Axial allowing them to invest in the TLR side and get it back on track, it still has a way to go though. TLR is not a company it's a brand owned by Horizon Hobby.
TLR might not be a "company", but Losi IS. TLR is just the racing division is Losi...but, again, Losi IS a "company". It just happens to be a company owned by Horizon Hobby. Until HH purchased Losi (as well as the others HH has purchased), it was it's own 'stand-alone' company. Such is no different than other companies that have purchased other companies, such as when Dell purchased Alienware, or when General Motors purchased AM General (the original manufacturer of the HMMWV, aka Hummer). As for them supposedly "just started to get back on track", that couldn't be further from the truth. The 22 5.0 buggy has been doing quite well on diet/clay tracks for the past 2-3 years, just add the 22 4.0 did before that, and the 22 3.0 before that. The same can be said about the other TLR vehicles (22 SCT, 22 T). In other words, they've been "on track". It's just that TLR focuses primarily on dirt/clay, whereas XRAY focuses primarily on astro/carpet. It's no big deal.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think that chamfer is not an issue, those notches are, especially the one in the middle - that causes that all forces from impact go there, because the rest of the part is much stronger.
It wasn't issue in previous cars, because clamps had mounts for suspension tower, which added lot of extra material.
it's interesting that it wasn't found during testing. Maybe there was some change late in the development?
​​​​​​
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM
The Evicerator

Regarding the upper bulkhead clamp, I have noted that it can sometimes be easy to mis-align the diff eccentric in such a way that the nub is not fully seated in a notch... and if you tighten down the screws in this condition you could stress the part, or if you go run like this, the eccentric could seat itself properly, thereby essentially ending up with loosened screws holding the bulkhead cap down... all potential contributors to bending the cap in the event of a crash

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.