Like Tree1452Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-27-2022, 05:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

Print Wikipost

Old 11-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Here is part of why I said that good setups are coming

https://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/ne...20joins%20XRAY
Dang, didn’t he just join Mugen Seiki earlier this year? From what I heard and read, he was kicking some butt with the MTC2 too. Looks like this year is going to have a Super Silly season.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Mayhew—blast from the past.

Originally Posted by dmayhew25 View Post
I'm not a team driver but I ran my Mod and 17.5 X4's at Cen Cal last weekend and the cars were pretty good with the kit setup. I did raise the car slightly .2mm, and went to the 1.6mm topdeck. We only had a few sessions on Sunday so track time was very limited. I did miss the tire setup slightly and it cost me, but more than that my driving needs cleaning up, but the cars were close right out of the box. I haven't raced on-road in maybe 15 years but this new car is solid. Will be putting more time in testing outdoor setups in the next few weeks and will try and keep you posted if I find anything better.
dmayhew25 likes this.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rolled my X4 today after clipping a cub but didn’t hit anything - and the front upper bulkhead clamp bent. This shouldn’t happen…

gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:03 AM
h2e
Tech Addict

Ok, so if you turned the parts upside down, it would be easy to spot even little bending So I take my earlier post about "non-detectable part failure" back...
Obviously a weak spot in the design...
Old 11-20-2021, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by h2e View Post
Ok, so if you turned the parts upside down, it would be easy to spot even little bending So I take my earlier post about "non-detectable part failure" back...
Obviously a weak spot in the design...
This part is easy to spot even when it's still on the car. The light reflections stand out a lot at the point it bends.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mpowell_au View Post
Rolled my X4 today after clipping a cub but didn’t hit anything - and the front upper bulkhead clamp bent. This shouldn’t happen…

Rolled my car but didn’t hit anything? How about the ground you tumbled across?! At some point the racers have to take some responsibility for your driving.

These posts remind me of a video I saw recently where an 18 year old girl crashes her new bmw into the back of a Lamborghini and says the lambo owner is at fault.

Xray is going to be coming out with an updated version of this, but I imagine these crashes where you don’t hit anything will keep happening. What will you guys will find to complain about next?
KE4PJO likes this.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The ground can't cause a fumble. Everyone in Texas knows that 😁
STLNLST and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
Rolled my car but didn’t hit anything? How about the ground you tumbled across?! At some point the racers have to take some responsibility for your driving.

These posts remind me of a video I saw recently where an 18 year old girl crashes her new bmw into the back of a Lamborghini and says the lambo owner is at fault.

Xray is going to be coming out with an updated version of this, but I imagine these crashes where you don’t hit anything will keep happening. What will you guys will find to complain about next?
I can't tell if you're being obtuse or just didn't get the point. The act of simply rolling the car without hitting anything solid except for the ground itself is bending bulkheads. I find it hard to believe that cars were intentionally crashed into walls during testing, and nothing bent.

Blaming people for poor driving when a traction roll is enough to write off a bulkhead is missing the point.
thirtydaZe, Bsthetech and h2e like this.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I can't tell if you're being obtuse or just didn't get the point. The act of simply rolling the car without hitting anything solid except for the ground itself is bending bulkheads. I find it hard to believe that cars were intentionally crashed into walls during testing, and nothing bent.

Blaming people for poor driving when a traction roll is enough to write off a bulkhead is missing the point.

Last I checked the ground is pretty hard... When you HIT a curb, it’s not the same as traction rolling. Bending stuff doesn’t happen from traction rolling.

Cars were intentionally crashed during testing. I’ve seen the video. Not saying nothing bent but it was tested.
mrreet2001 and Ggrant like this.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinions and their preferences and i respect that.

I work with the LHS here by running a website brurc.com and acting as a touchpoint for info for those starting the hobby.

In 2013 -2017, i would suggest getting the t4 to newcomers because, evebthough it is pricy, it is extremely durable and cutting edge...

2017 to 2021... i would position the xray as still a great buy because it is extremely durable. You do not need to carry as much parts because of its durability. It however is no longer as cutting edge as some of the other more innovative brands...

Now... i can only inform that xray has one of the newest car on the market with nice tech... but it is fragile compared to other brands right now and it is difficult to justify the price...

Keep in mind, these ppl coming to me for info are newcomers... the t4 platform was a car that will serve you from day 1 in the hobby all the way to the largest races.... the x4 - based on comments here - seems to be only for the elite and pro drivers.

On a positive note... Xray will still be continuing support for the t4 platform.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The statement of “updated” parts coming should be taken as what🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
The statement of “updated” parts coming should be taken as what🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️
there are a lot of guys “barely hitting stuff” 😂
BmainStar likes this.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Last I checked the ground is pretty hard... When you HIT a curb, it’s not the same as traction rolling. Bending stuff doesn’t happen from traction rolling.

Cars were intentionally crashed during testing. I’ve seen the video. Not saying nothing bent but it was tested.
The kerbs on our track are very shallow and are often part of the racing line. Touching one isn't the same thing as hitting something. A traction roll on our track is no less violent than a kerb induced roll.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ran my X4 for the first time today on CRC black carpet. I used Mr. Dodge's set-up. I found that the car would over rotate in tight corners. Should I try heavier diff oil?
Old 11-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

there are a lot of guys “barely hitting stuff” 😂
I only ask that as I remember customers being told they were wrong years ago when the 4wd actually had a rear toe issue and weren't taken seriously until pics on setup stations were posted. Telling a customer to drive better is never an acceptable answer IMO…..especially when the T4 didn’t have this issue.

sosidge, Buckland and gigaplex like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.