Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

YOKOMO BD10F FWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

4wd is king, top driving will always prevail but a top driver in a 4wd vs his own fwd.. we all know the outcome
Old 07-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure of that. In specific conditions, I think the FWD could take the advantage.

FWD main advantage is the weight, so it means that the rules must encourage light cars
FWD main disadvantage is traction, so if you are on very high grip surface, it could be minimal...

With the same motorization (17.5 blinky), I'm pretty sure that the FWD can have the best lap. Now in race it is another deal, because trajectories are different and it could really create bad incidents...
Old 07-10-2021, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

I've raced high grip, medium grip, low grip, carpet or tarmac, small track, medium track, larger track, all with 17.5 blinky. FWD at 1250gm is always slower than 4WD at 1350gm by 0.5s to 1s a lap.

And if you are on track at the same time, the 4wd cars will tend to hit the rear bumper of the FWD cars on corner exit, they're not well suited to running on the track together in a competitive situation.

I do think FWD cars are a lot more enjoyable to drive. Unfortunately the class is teetering on the edge in the UK at the moment, lockdown hasn't helped, but there has also been a lot of unnecessary bickering about tyres, bodies and mid-motor cars. Hopefully we'll have enough interest for a good winter indoors.
Andy_F, DaSilva3525 and gigaplex like this.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

When I say lighter I mean really lighter. Around 1050g...
Old 07-10-2021, 09:48 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave
When I say lighter I mean really lighter. Around 1050g...
wow the is light.. call it front wheel drive pan car
Old 07-11-2021, 01:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tak4
Surprisingly this is not the case. We all have 4wd and fwd cars and for most of us the fwd is faster. It is just more agile and responsive in the corners. It is also easier to drive and for some reason more planted... you could never convince me of this before my own experience showed the fwd is faster and easier to drive.

The 4wd is faster on the straight... but is quite sluggish compared to the fwd in the corners. Dont ask me the science behind it. I am about a second faster on my fwd than my 4wd with a similar electronics set up. Tested with laptimers btw
I've got both FWD and 4WD and prefer driving FWD as it's more fun. But my 4WD is considerably faster in the corners. The FWD pushes more on corner entry as the front tyres are doing all the braking, and corner exit doesn't have the traction to accelerate as quickly.
sosidge and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
wow the is light.. call it front wheel drive pan car
You can! My TCR can be under 1100g RTR. And indeed it is more like a pancar in fact...
Old 10-12-2021, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

So has anyone on RCTECH actually got one of these? I'm curious to know how the weight distribution works out.