Looking to get back in to onroad an inexpensive way >

Looking to get back in to onroad an inexpensive way

Like Tree16Likes

Looking to get back in to onroad an inexpensive way

Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Be careful with this, there's a lot more interference these days compared to back then. I've got a perfectly functioning AM radio that works fine when practicing on the track, but once there's a few other cars out there too (all on 2.4GHz), it glitches like crazy.
My M11 is 2.4. Old 2.4 but still 2.4.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Equipment like old radio systems and servos can still be used in r/c racing to this day, assuming that they are in good operating condition. As far as servos specifically, if it was a "race" quality servo with fast speeds it should work today.

Depending on the class structure of your local track, you many be able to run old brushed speed controls and motors assuming the class structure is totally open or a "run what you brung" setup. You can also find examples of tracks that are more focused on the fun aspect of this hobby and go out of their way to make sure that people who show up get a chance to run whatever car they have.

The local track I race at would have no problem letting a 6-cell Nihm/27 turn brushed motor car with a Viper body race in the VTA class or an equivalent class for club racing assuming the car was setup to go similar speeds as the class they would be running. However we would eventually expect this person to conform to the actual rules of the class as this will make the racing experience better for everyone. We would rather let people have fun than turn them away.

Don't let old or "outdated" equipment keep you away from the track. All you really need to enjoy this hobby is to bring a positive attitude to the track and the ability to have fun while you are there.
It's all race quality. I have lipos too. I know to watch voltage given there is no cut-off on a GT7. Servo was from a xxx buggy. It's fast and smooth. Airtronics stuff is long lasting.
There's VTA and USGT. I should be able to have fun in one of the two with what I have. I'm not afraid of my "outdated" stuff. I know for a fact it works. Plus the radio is already set up for my small girly hands. And no programming/blinky light bs with the esc. All my motors are still ROAR legal, right down to the bushings.
I just want to go have fun for now. If I would have been able to go pro, it would have been in my teenage years. I'm to old and slow now.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes View Post
It's all race quality. I have lipos too. I know to watch voltage given there is no cut-off on a GT7. Servo was from a xxx buggy. It's fast and smooth. Airtronics stuff is long lasting.
There's VTA and USGT. I should be able to have fun in one of the two with what I have. I'm not afraid of my "outdated" stuff. I know for a fact it works. Plus the radio is already set up for my small girly hands. And no programming/blinky light bs with the esc. All my motors are still ROAR legal, right down to the bushings.
I just want to go have fun for now. If I would have been able to go pro, it would have been in my teenage years. I'm to old and slow now.
Just a heads up, USGT is now a spec motor. Iím now running in 21.5TC with what was my USGT car last summer.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Just a heads up, USGT is now a spec motor. Iím now running in 21.5TC with what was my USGT car last summer.
Actually, most of the tracks in NorCal did not go with the spec motor. Best to check at the track - I know one person who bought the spec motor and was very surprised at race time.
Billy Kelly likes this.