R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A weird beginner question

Hi everyone,

I'm now looking into revisiting my childhood hobby of RC! . I'm a filmmaker in real life. And within the last month, ive taken on a project to build a type of camera rig...a sky cam!
http://www.garrettcam.com/ yes--only someone like me would be excitied about that.

but my version is much more simpler and way less $$$. Im using simpl wirecables and home depot wheels. It works quite well. But, now im now thinking of taking it up a notch--adding wireless motion and radio control power over the camera rig.

HERE'S PICS NOW:

I would like some advice on: -1 how would i go about picking the best motor, considering the rigs and cameras weight being about 10-12 pounds?
2 the best way to go about gearing the trolly system to move up and down the rope system.
3.choosing the cheapest remote control to do this?

I just need some more input into this from more knowledgeble persons.

thank you very much
govinda b.
govindaBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Hi, I am also in the film business. I have a motion picture lab but I'm all the way here in South East Asia. I would suggest a Brushless Motor for your application so it wil be maintenance free, but you need to design a tranny for it for effeciency. For the controls, I suggest it's better to use a spektrum receiver and module so that you will be glitch free, no interference. I guess the crititcal part is the tranny design. Try to PM John Stranahan, maybe he can help you with some ideas too.

Sonny
FBJ's RDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Hi sonny. thanks for the reply.

I'm working on a better trolly design. I'm planning on using ball-bearing wheels and wire instead of rope-(plastic finished steele cable to be exact) for the next version

what do you mean that "it wil be maintenance free"

Would it be rude to ask if you're in the Indian film industry?

thank you
govinda
govindaBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindaBLU
Hi sonny. thanks for the reply.

I'm working on a better trolly design. I'm planning on using ball-bearing wheels and wire instead of rope-(plastic finished steele cable to be exact) for the next version

what do you mean that "it wil be maintenance free"

Would it be rude to ask if you're in the Indian film industry?

thank you
govinda
Maintenance free means, you wont need to change brushes, no need to cut the commutator. It's a hassle free operation. Plus the brushless motor has monster accleration that can really get your skycam take-off when needed, most especially when your shots require chasing running subjects or moving cars.

My motion picture film lab is located in Manila, Philippines. The Filipino Film Industry is very small compared to "Bollywood". which has hundreds of film releases in a year, if I'm not mistaken

Sonny
FBJ's RDX is offline   Reply With Quote