Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TT-01 To TA05 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TT-01 To TA05 ?

What do you think of the transition and what do you think of both cars...

BTW ill be running silvercan in both and then eventually upgrading motors again and again...

Steve
Old 04-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default TT-01 or TA05?

Hey Steve-N, undecided whether TT-01 or TA-05? Shaft or belt driven? I guess you have to determine the advantages & disadvantages of shaft & belt driven chassis.

There has been a whole raft of threads from uneducated idiots who state that shaft transmission is more efficient at speed X than a belt at speed Z The reality is they are both inefficient but for very different reasons.

The first point of inefficiency in a shaft drive car is the differential. At this point the drive is rotated through 90 degrees. Comparatively in a belt driven car the drive is in the same direction as the wheels. The transmission runs parallel to the direction of travel.

The second point of inefficiency is the where the prop shaft (big long shaft in the middle of the car) meets the differentials. The teeth tend to have a big contact patch which increases friction but is necessary to transmit the torque. This is where most of the noise in a shaft drive car comes from.

In a belt driven car there is only one factor that causes inefficiency. That factor being the belts! As speed increases a few things happen, firstly the belts will find their natural frequency and start resonating (vibrating up and down), thus expending power that could be at the wheels.

As speed increases further, the belt tension increases and the growing rotational (centrifugal) forces try to pull the belt away from the pulleys which reduces the contact patch between the two and more power is lost. This is why belts stretch!

I should really say something about acceleration in this article, there is no way any belt driven car can compete with a shaft driven machine because shaft drive is direct drive whilst a belt drive has a bit of slack in the transmission. There is a bit of “give” in a shaft drive but no where near the give in a belt driven car. Thus energy is lost in a belt drive while the belts stretch, this reduces the power at the wheels and ultimately the acceleration. Nine times out of 10 this is not noticeable but it still occurs.

These are only my opinion...I hope it helps.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve-N
What do you think of the transition and what do you think of both cars...

BTW ill be running silvercan in both and then eventually upgrading motors again and again...

Steve
if u will ask me i will go for ta05.. lots of settings and others.. unlike to tt01..
and u cant go on mofied if u are using tt01,, yes you can,but handling and stabilty,tweaking,breakage of parts will be the issue. and when running modified and competing other racers that uses other chassis like ta05, trf415, etc, then will easily pull away from tt01.

so go for ta05..

hope this helps
Old 04-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you're a newbie...try the tt01, nothing breaks and really simple to build and maintain. If you're experienced, get a ta05 definitely. The price difference is not so big and if you wanna tune your tt01 to be up to par to the ta05, you'd be spending a fortune, yet it still wont be able to catch up with a ta05.

The tt01 is only good for stock racing.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

A stock out out of the box tao5 will be almost .5 seconds a lap faster than a a obtioned tb02, at the tamiya HQ test track, furthermore, the tbo2 is faster than a tt01. The TT01 diffs are an early design, and quite large and heavy. thus more drag.
beginner or advanced the ta05 is the better car. not only in speed, handling and has a more up to date design.

I want one. I be waiting for the TRF version.
wn