Search
Like Tree23Likes

cheap kit for my son....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
Hey, I'd love for you to come to our track and help this guy out since you seem to have all of the answers. Funny that all of the Tamiya racers at the track told him, "yep, those pop out like that, get a set of universals." So I think he is going to follow that advice rather than struggle to make a cheap product work.

If it is the front ones, you have your EPA too high, back off the steering a bit and I bet they start staying in.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

If you wanting a starter car that’s cheap and fast and durable the xpress xq2s is cheap and will allow enter into more classes and won’t need driveshafts ,bearings and steering upgrades straight away like the tt02 (extra £40-50ish )

had a few tt02 spit dog bones , bearings just so it’s transmission runs free and smooth and steering as can bind a bit on the screws and not center correctly
Old 04-22-2021, 02:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like he'll be mostly running on the street, parking lots and such? The tt02 should be a great choice/starter 👍
Old 04-22-2021, 03:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larse
Sounds like he'll be mostly running on the street, parking lots and such? The tt02 should be a great choice/starter 👍
yes.....im.not aware of any tracks around me. I used to dabble in off-road ebuggy and sct....but there's not a track within 30 minutes of me...so we just play at home.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
My neighbor bought a TT02 as his first RC car for carpet racing. He chose it because it looked realistic - loved the body and loved the rims. He likes the car, but it pops dog bones out constantly, which is drastically reducing his fun level. Racing indoor on carpet, it is easy for us to walk the track and find the ejected dog bones, plus he painted them white, but I cannot imagine walking around the front yard looking for them next to a driveway or street. It might be worth it to buy a more leveled up TT02 kit that has u-joints, not dog bones. It won't be that much more expensive and it will be 1000 times less frustrating.
This is a reality for the Tamiya TT-02 chassis and I ended up selling mine. I have owned and raced the Tamiya TT-01 as well in sedan form as well as in the form of the Hahn Racing trick and never had any dog bone issues. I would recommend the Tamiya TT-01 kit over the TT-02 any day.
Metalsoft likes this.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For racing, the Sakura, 3Racing, Express, etc cars would make sense.....but that is not the intention of this thread.
"cheap on-road car for my son to play with...."
Anyone recommending the various inexpensive "competition" style (twin plate chassis with belt drive and universal shafts) is leaving out the fact that the kits do not include Body - Motor - Esc.
True, the Tamiya electronics are not TOP quality components, but they work and serve their purpose. Getting Started.

Tamiya kits are far and above a better value, from a "just getting started" perspective.
The advice above concerning bearings, shocks, etc, is spot on.
mrreet2001 and Nerobro like this.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

would the tt-02R be a worth while upgrade over the base tt-02?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I dont know where you are from, but you can look for Reely cars. They are quite inexpensive and a good choice for an entry car
Old 04-22-2021, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nitram1995
I dont know where you are from, but you can look for Reely cars. They are quite inexpensive and a good choice for an entry car
NC...
Old 04-22-2021, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
would the tt-02R be a worth while upgrade over the base tt-02?
The answer to this question goes back to your original purpose.....
The TT-02R includes a range of option parts (bearings, oil shocks, some aluminum hopups,) and metal drive shafts and cups.
Its original intention is a "race" version of the TT-02 platform, to be used in club spec and cup racing. The improved drivetrain components, shocks, and bearings, are better suited to the higher output brushless motors used in competition. Other hopups are still required to get the proper gear ratios for spec racing.
That being said, the aforementioned Body, motor, and esc are then not included.

It in the end is a better quality kit with the improved parts. Is it worth while?? Depends on what you value....
The bottom line is that it would not be the "cheaper" option to pursue.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

i guess cheaper is a relative term. I'm giving $300 for this project, since its just a toy and not getting setup for a specific race class.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

i guess cheaper is a relative term. I'm giving $300 for this project, since its just a toy and not getting setup for a specific race class.

I would get a TT02 - Tamiya America, Inc 1/10 Toyota GR Supra 4WD TT-02 Kit | Tower Hobbies
Then this servo - Savox High Torque Standard Size Digital Servo w/ Black Alum Horn / Glitch Buster | eBay
Set of bearings FAST EDDY TFE411 SEALED BEARING KIT for TAMIYA TT-02 CHASSIS UPGRADE 769173945616 | eBay
Good ole Kimbrough servo Saver - Kimbrough Mid Size Servo Saver (Futaba Hitec Airtronics) [KIM201] | eBay
Radio - GoolRC TG3 2.4Ghz 3CH Digital Radio Transmitter with Receiver for RC Car Boat US 713893265127 | eBay ( These are actually pretty good and model copy of the DX2 )

$195 bucks shipped all from the US and you will be ready to rock and roll - ( Busting around on the asphalt will not need oil shocks at this time, BUT if you want )

SAK-AS614 (racevta.com)

These fit without issue and work brilliantly

So with everything you need including bearings and oil shocks you are around $220 and everything should arrive in a week.

Problem solved

EDIT and for good measure, go ahead and grab these for some fun - Tamiya TT-02 High Speed Gear Set 68T # 54500 | eBay / Tamiya 54501 RC Car TT02 Aluminum Propeller Main Drive Shaft OP1501 Hop Up Parts | eBay

Still at $240 for everything

EDIT 2: Heck throw a decent lipo in there as well - RoaringTop Battery 55C 3300mAh 2S 7.4V HardCase with Deans Plug (Round Case) | eBay

Now you are only at $260 for a fully built, hopped up and ready TT-02
Old 04-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

I believe that the basic TT-01 kit with body, decal sheet, ESC, motor, pinion, rims and tires represents your best value. I see these as low as $79.90 USD (plus shipping) from RCMart in Hong Kong. These kits are very complete, easy to build, and have proven durable over time. There are lots of good after market parts and upgrades out there that you can add at a later date if and when needed. A set of ball bearings would be my first upgrade and these are on eBay very inexpensively. A basic Futaba S3003 servo for $10 (or S3004 with ball bearing) will give good service for steering. A set of oil shocks is also a good upgrade and Yeah Racing or 3Racing make nice aluminum shocks for around the $25 mark as well.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveM
I believe that the basic TT-01 kit with body, decal sheet, ESC, motor, pinion, rims and tires represents your best value. I see these as low as $79.90 USD (plus shipping) from RCMart in Hong Kong. These kits are very complete, easy to build, and have proven durable over time. There are lots of good after market parts and upgrades out there that you can add at a later date if and when needed. A set of ball bearings would be my first upgrade and these are on eBay very inexpensively. A basic Futaba S3003 servo for $10 (or S3004 with ball bearing) will give good service for steering. A set of oil shocks is also a good upgrade and Yeah Racing or 3Racing make nice aluminum shocks for around the $25 mark as well.
The one glaring issue I see with the TT-01 (besides the fact the chassis design is so old it still has relief cutouts for NIMH cells) is that the tub Is limited to rounded tube style battery packs/....
Last time a checked, modern readily available LiPo batteries are almost all square brick shaped.

I would NOT recommend a TT-01 as a first kit.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by simple
The one glaring issue I see with the TT-01 (besides the fact the chassis design is so old it still has relief cutouts for NIMH cells) is that the tub Is limited to rounded tube style battery packs/....
Last time a checked, modern readily available LiPo batteries are almost all square brick shaped.

I would NOT recommend a TT-01 as a first kit.
The stock chassis is designed for the old school 6-cell shotgun NiCad/NiMH packs, but it is a simple task to remove the plastic ribs from the chassis prior to assemble to allow a rectangular 2S lipo.

Moulded ribs removed entirely on the inside of the chassis, and cut flush with the slots on the outside. Easily done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.