Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!! >

Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Guys, I'm fairly new to the rc-cars. ... . I have just bought TA-05 chassis and I’m looking for a motor for it that is legal for TCS GT-2.
Can anybody help me find the best one?
Also can anybody give me some tips on how to break-in GT-2 legal motor?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

Well I can give you some help on your motor tuning...
All you have to do is go to this site and it will tell you all the answers...

www.motortuningsercets.com

If you tell me what TCS GT-2 allows for motors i might be able to help you that one to...
Old 04-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The GT2 class in US TCS races uses ROAR-legal stock motors, so ones like Trinity's Monster or Co27 would likely be the best bets, depending on the track you'll race on. How big is the track you plan to run on? And is it very technical, or more wide open & sweeping in the corners? Those things will help determine which motor would be easiest to dial in for it(though I have to say after playing with a Co27 for a few weeks now, I have t say I'm impressed, seems incredibly versatile, could be good anywhere).....
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Grizzbob,
It seems that the clousest to me is the one inside the Hobby Town USA store in Frederick MD (22miles from me) Idon't kmow if you been to that one. It has one long strach along the back wall, one wide turn along the right wall, and all other sorts of turns and short straight peases. On that TCS race one guy (Pall)told me that that track is considered just bearly as long one.
Here I found some photos about that track and the tcs race www.rcclubmd.com

What would you guys say about P2K2 motor?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Mans343, the allowed motors are the "ROAR-legal stock motors".
By the way it seems to me that the website that you mention in your reply doesn’t work, may be it is just temporary.
All you have to do is go to this site and it will tell you all the answers...
Old 04-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viat
Grizzbob,
It seems that the clousest to me is the one inside the Hobby Town USA store in Frederick MD (22miles from me) Idon't kmow if you been to that one. It has one long strach along the back wall, one wide turn along the right wall, and all other sorts of turns and short straight peases. On that TCS race one guy (Pall)told me that that track is considered just bearly as long one.
Here I found some photos about that track and the tcs race www.rcclubmd.com

What would you guys say about P2K2 motor?
Cool looking track(I wish it were within driving distance for me, but I live in Oklahomaso that's a bit far for me, my closest are Memphis which I've done, or Miulwaukee which I like but can't do often), & yes, the P2K2 would be acceptable, but I'd still say from what I saw that the Monster or Co27 would be best. That track looks to me to be very similar in size to Trackside in Milwaukee, & I know for sure that the motors to use there are the Monster or the Co27(at least I think the Co27 will work, I've tried it on smaller tracks & absolutely LOVE it, & it can be set up to rev like a Monster, which a P2K2 can't do). Really, if you can get ahold of a couple of good Co27's, I'd go for that, but if they're scarce where you are, then a good Monster would do(I think you will need the high-rpm power for the long straight & sweepers you have). I say go for the Co27, I think you'll be pleased....
Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Grizzbob,
Thank you for the advice!
What are you running (Chasses and motor)? and what do you think about the TA-05 kit?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Guys can you tell me how to break-in a Trinity's Monster motor? What and how it can be tuned (inproved)?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

viat - If you have the opportunity to look through all the motors before you buy (some shop owners will allow this), you need to look at the dyno read out to help choose a good motor. The most importent number you should look at is the power (watts) followed by efficency. You want to find a motor that has both high watts and efficency. The reason for this is that a motor that has these two numbers being high, will be one that has a well built endbell and ameture.

After that is rpm and torque, you can decide for yourself which of these attributes is going to be beneficial to you and the racing you will be doing, however you need to remember that these numbers usally go hand in hand, if one is high the other will be a bit low. This is because power(ie watts) = torque x rpm.

Alot of noob racers make the mistake of choosing a motor that has the highest rpm, what high rpm generally means is that the brush hoods are not aligned properly and the motor will not proform on the track. Although if for example you manage to find a motor with very high rpm, but it still has high watts and efficency this would be the motor to choose.

After taking all this into consideration you will still not be garenteed of a great motor, although it should help to weed out most of the lemons.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viat
Grizzbob,
Thank you for the advice!
What are you running (Chasses and motor)? and what do you think about the TA-05 kit?
Well, last TCS I ran in was Memphis last summer, & I ran the GT2 class(& even won it). But I didn't have my own car to start, I borrowed a TA04R from a buddy I drove up with & ran with that. However, because I won my class, I also won a car kit(a TB02), so now I DO have a car of my own to run. That being said, I think I'd prefer a TA05, there was one at the Mamphis TCS back in July(one of my other buds ran that, & it looked GREAT, hung in there pretty well in the GT1 class with the Evo3's, Evo4's & TRF415's, & he's been using ot off & on since then with success too, very good car. I think that's gonna be the chassis to beat this year(& I especially like the fact that it allows you to use any spur & pinion you wish, instead of being limited to what Tamiya sells like you have to deal with on the TB02). Oh, & about breaking in a new motor, if it's not already broken in, just run it on low voltage(either a 4-cell battery or run about 3-5 volts through it) for a couple of minutes & it should be ready to roll(though if you get a "Pro" version, it should already be broken in & ready to go)....
Old 04-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Talking

I have bought and built my first TA-05 Kit with Ferrari body.
I started building on Thursday late evening and didn't want to stop assembling it until it was done. The chassis is an artwork of RC-car design!
Now I'm waiting on delivery of motor and radio and can't wait to race it!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0402ae.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0402aq.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0402av.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0402aw.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0402ag.jpg  

Old 04-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

I just recived Trinity rc2140 "Revange of the Monster" a "Monster Horspower Stock" 27T-24 degree High RPMs Motor and as I said befor I have a brand new TA-05 Chassies which came with silver can 540 motor and 22T pinion gear.

What do you guys think about using this Monster Horspower Stock motor with that pinion gear???
Old 04-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

With a freshly cut comm, and new brushes you should break in your motor for 300 sec. If you are using a battery charger with a motor break-in option you will see the amp draw go up as the brushes conform to the comm shape. After this finishes recut the comm, and your motor should be good to go. I would try trinity 767's for those motors, and maybe a green/green spring combo. Hope that might help you a little.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw92656
With a freshly cut comm, and new brushes you should break in your motor for 300 sec. If you are using a battery charger with a motor break-in option you will see the amp draw go up as the brushes conform to the comm shape. After this finishes recut the comm, and your motor should be good to go. I would try trinity 767's for those motors, and maybe a green/green spring combo. Hope that might help you a little.
actually is reedy 767's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.