Search
Like Tree639Likes

Tamiya TA08 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Probably the same basic stuff as the MR33 V4 additive, which is quite standard in Europe. It makes the unbelted Ride tyres swell as it softens them but if I'm honest with you there isn't a performance impact - it just looks weird.

Someone somewhere told me it was linseed oil based, hence "natural" and with a distinct fragrance.
Does MR33 V4 crystallise into little round pellets when it’s cold? If it does then yes it’s the same.

TDK was advertised to be natural oils and edible 🤣😂. I hope no one ever tried to eat it lol.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

I agree, there's not a ton of a performance difference when the tires swell.... to a point. They do definitely fall off after they swell too much.
We've had similar issues at our local tracks with TDK, the issue being that is doesn't dissipate from the carpet very quickly, so its ends up saturating it over the night/season. Over the season, the track gets noticeably slower from a lap time standpoint.
Raman likes this.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Excited with a chance of learning from you👍🏻

Read the entire thread from front to back last night. First time poster here. I feel this thread is about to explode with performance based discussion and setup advice. I am new to this side of rc. Long time rc builder and back yard enthusiast. Just finished building my TA08, getting a baseline setup. I will drive it for the first time Sunday. Parking lot low/med traction asphalt. Soda and Hawaiian Punch in the corners.

Not sure who said it but, there was a comment about cross weight similarities. For example…..Like front right and left rear being 220g and the opposite corners be 446g. I threw my car on the scale and it looked exactly like I described. FL 200g, FR 440, LR 440g, RR 200g. What I believe was said was, that if you tighten the springs on the shocks of lighter weight corners, you can increase your weight distribution, and lessen the heavier corners. Is there truth to that?

Car ready to go, less body and pins.
I set the car up with 2mm droop, front and rear. I then read 1 is sufficient. Opinion or fact?

last but not least, I would like to understand hinge pin placement with adjustable suspension mounts. Both my RS7 TA07 and TA08 got a bit of blue coke adorned gracefully. Both have adjustability and I think I’m way off! I will get my setup sheet filled out and post what my baseline setting is. For now, any comments on the weight distribution?

First time using a scale. Just acquired a new toy! Further feeding my OCD of possibilities to be a better driver without putting in the practice! Anyone relate?

Thank you for your time.
gwhiz, jgil089 and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think your upper suspension ball cups are reversed and is causing weight balance to be off.
sosidge and vinny73 like this.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

yep... upper ball links are messed up. left rear is a front and front left is a rear.
vinny73 likes this.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know how you folks caught it so easily but thank you. After staring at it, there is a slight but noticeable difference. I will start there and try again. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vinny73
I don't know how you folks caught it so easily but thank you. After staring at it, there is a slight but noticeable difference. I will start there and try again. Thank you.
Its an easy catch because you're not the first person to make that oops. Don't know how you missed it having just read the entire thread front to back....

Tamiya TA08 Pro
Tamiya TA08 Pro
Old 11-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by simple
Its an easy catch because you're not the first person to make that oops. Don't know how you missed it having just read the entire thread front to back....

Tamiya TA08 Pro
Tamiya TA08 Pro
I did read that someone had done it but was not fully aware that there is a noticeable difference between the front and rear. Still new to the project car. Spent the time to build and adjust. No driving and no adjustments yet. Plus the daily life stuff doesn't really afford constant attention to possible mistakes. Hence why I posted for help and advice. So, that's how I missed it.
simple and garnt like this.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default Swapped front and rear

So I swapped the front left and left rear outer camber links and my weight is still off on the opposing corners. I did try and tighten the lesser weighted corners, 1 full turn on the shock collar and it changed things about 5-13 grams all the way around. But, that would now mess with my ride height.

This was after changing my camber links. Prior to adjusting shock collars.

This was 1 full turn on the shock collars for the FL and RR. Notice it changed values all the way around.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

I did read that there could be some built in tweak to these molded chassis. I had that problem with my 07. Ended up with a Exotek chassis and provided new struggles and learning curves.

could this be a tweak issue?
Old 11-19-2021, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

dont bother with the scales on a plastic tub....will drive you crazy.....when adjusting tweak ride height will be ever so slightly off as you are making sure you have even weight distribution at each wheel as apposed to just the right ht. which may be level but tweak can still be present. tweak is the better adjustment but Not on the 08. The flex will nullify the settings. Scales are important for a carbon stiff car but the 08 the chassis is basiaclly acting as a sort of active suspension which the car does terrible when using harder springs. Have fun. 08 is awesome
sosidge, Qatmix, vinny73 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Thank you. I understand completely.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm amazed how tough this car is, TA08 has 12 race days, countless practice laps and a million run ins with the wall by a green driver. One steering knuckle has been the only part to break so far. The body is definitely looking a bit rough though, but nothing a little fiberglass mesh and shoe goo couldn't fix. While I'm fixing his rats nest wiring job are there some adjustments I can make for a easier to drive car on black carpet as he really struggles with it. Recommend camber and toe front and back etc....

simple and DavidNERODease like this.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

There's some telltale signs of a too low ride height on the front of the chassis, could be contributing to handling issues if the chassis is bottoming out. I've also considered using the other bottom bumper mount for fear of that style possibly cutting the carpet/
Sandfreak likes this.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys i am rebuilding my car ready for a weekend driving on ETS carpet

does anyone have a carpet set up please , preferably on A slicks :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.