Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VBC Wildfire evolution D06->(and parts sharing)? >

VBC Wildfire evolution D06->(and parts sharing)?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By angrymelon
  • 1 Post By old_dude

VBC Wildfire evolution D06->(and parts sharing)?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default VBC Wildfire evolution D06->(and parts sharing)?

I recently picked up a local VBC Wildfire D06 ARTR with a 17.5 BL motor/ TBLE 2s ECS and basic servo 6208MG for what seems to be pretty cheap @ $100... The car looks to be in pretty good condition but i wanted to ask how this car would stand up against more modern versions (i.e. D09/ D10) in terms of speed and drivability?

The only issues i can see on the car is that one of the steering arms is bent and one of the lipo stays (the L shaped thing that holds the lipo firm has snapped... To find parts i've actually come across a D05 roller (very good cond) that is being let go for $50 - would it make sense to get the D05 and use it for parts/ spares?

additionally - when getting and old used car that has been "used" what are the key things i should rebuild without going over the top - I'm thinking re-do shocks (new shock oil) and to rebuild the diffs - anything else i should be extra mindful of?

Also - i ordered these tires as they were really cheap - anyone tried them or have opinions of cheap chinese slicks ? - bearing in mind i'm not looking to win a WC here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3276...70c44c4dNf4tE9

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2021, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only parts I know off of the top of my head that are interchangeable are the plastics. D06 can use D07, 08 and 09 arms, chubs, and steering blocks. I believe the diffs, bearings, most links, some belts, and a lot of suspension mounts are also interchangeable. I think most of the pulleys as well. Where things get wonky is the chassis, bulkheads, top decks, shock towers, steering, and some shocks.

If you're racing indoor, regarding the plastics, don't get anything D07 or older. VBC updated their plastics with the D08 and they're MASSIVELY improved. The D10 changed the suspension considerably so I'm not sure if anything stayed compatible. Even if they are, make sure you read up on how to ensure they're durable.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the D05, but if you go to VBCracing.com you can download most of their cars manuals and look at the part numbers. It helps to figure out what stuff is shared.

Good luck!

old_dude and hannhann00 like this.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

There are different versions of shocks and springs and they go with a matching tower. The shocks are different lengths and so are the springs. All arms, knuckles, "C" hubs, axles, shafts, diffs, bearings, sprockets and rear carriers are the same from do5 thru d09 with the exception of compound on the plastics as stated, The aluminum parts do vary model to model and several share belts. As also stated, the manuals will let you know what is shared. TQRacing is a good source for parts but because of the situation in China, parts can be hard to find right now.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys this is helpful...

Oh btw i didn't get your views on the competitiveness of a D05 vs a D06 and a 06 vs a more current car?
Old 02-12-2021, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

I will say that the real difference is with the D10. I jumped from the D05 to the Wildfire 18 with out noticing much difference. Biggest difference on high bite tracks is a aluminum chassis plate. I don't split hairs but the newer Wildfire is reasonably competitive out in the world. I finished 3rd. at the Snowbirds VTA in 2020 (was Q2) and I am 69 years old.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
I will say that the real difference is with the D10. I jumped from the D05 to the Wildfire 18 with out noticing much difference. Biggest difference on high bite tracks is a aluminum chassis plate. I don't split hairs but the newer Wildfire is reasonably competitive out in the world. I finished 3rd. at the Snowbirds VTA in 2020 (was Q2) and I am 69 years old.

Thanks Old Dude - btw 69 is the new 35 brother.... Wishing you great times ahead.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What about the Ghost18? I have a Ghost18 with aluminum flex chassis thinking to sell as parts. Not sure if that's helpful.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

The D06 and D07 are both solid platforms. Both were available with an aluminum chassis which is helpful these days on high grip black carpet. My favorite out of all the cars has been the D08, as it was the first to offer ball raced sway bars. It just seemed like it always worked well and it was also way more durable
Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hannhann00 View Post
Thanks Old Dude - btw 69 is the new 35 brother.... Wishing you great times ahead.
Tell my back and knees that. Lol
hannhann00 likes this.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bd007 View Post
What about the Ghost18? I have a Ghost18 with aluminum flex chassis thinking to sell as parts. Not sure if that's helpful.
It is in the same category as any non D10. Most parts share.