Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems.  Please help. >

CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems. Please help.

Like Tree14Likes

CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems. Please help.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems. Please help.

Hello, I recently purchased 3 new rolls of fassttrack II carpet from CRC. I'm having trouble getting it to lay flat. It's going on a smooth surface that used to be a skate rink. I'v tried anchoring it on both ends to get the seams flat. I tried both industrial carpet convention tape and wide gorilla tape on the underside of the carpet. If I get it remotely flat it comes undone and the bumps are back the next day. I for a fact have the race surface on top so that's not the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues and how it was corrected? I'm out of ideas. Please help. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:51 PM
KUI
Tech Apprentice

You to install a subfloor if it's laying on concrete..
Old 02-07-2021, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

I hope there is another solution? A subfloor is not an option at this point. To much cash for lumber. The dehumidifier isn't pulling any moisture from the air.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by donny View Post
I hope there is another solution? A subfloor is not an option at this point. To much cash for lumber. The dehumidifier isn't pulling any moisture from the air.
you might get a carpet installer to use a power stretcher on it and stretch out the wrinkles. You might also try a small steam cleaner and then use the dehumidifier to pull the moisture out of the air
Old 02-07-2021, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

I had the same problem laying down the ETS carpet , easy fix . Carpet tack strip (Menards-Home depot), comes either with double sided tape or screws.
Install on the "short ends" of the carpet & pull to tension the carpet . Will need to be done a couple of times .
Good luck ..
Nerobro likes this.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

We have had this issue when we would setup at a temporary facility. What we found was that if you tape one end of the carpet down and then take a 2X4 and run a velcro strip down the length of the 2x4, which should be about the width of the section of carpet your trying to flatten, and go to the other end of the carpet. Get about 3 guys to pull on the 2x4 equally and that should take the bumps out. Keep the tension on the 2x4 and tape that end of the carpet down in multiple places. You should get a pretty flat track.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Donny, I hear cold humid climates help that. I think you need to move back to the Seattle area and build your track there!
Old 02-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

I think this is related to moisture in the carpet and temperature.

Where are you storing the carpet? If it is in a very different environment to the track location, you probably have the carpet getting cold/moist in storage and then drying out slowly on the floor.

Can you lay the carpet loose in advance, then return prior to the racing to lift/tape/re-lay?
Old 02-11-2021, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
Donny, I hear cold humid climates help that. I think you need to move back to the Seattle area and build your track there!
Wish I could get back in that direction.

I haven't stored the carpet anywhere. I rolled it out right after I received it. It very cold here right now. -12 at the moment. The concrete temp is 54 and humidity is at 25%. I spent 1k on a large dehumidifier and it keeps the place dry, maybe to dry. My hands and lips are all cracked up. I'm going to try the cheap suggestions first. If that doesn't work then I might have a timing system and some carpet for sale lol. Another 4k and moving 75 3/4" 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove doesn't sound like much fun. My back hurts thinking about it. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Are you using double sided carpet tape to tape it to the floor or are you taping it to its self?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Seems to be a common problems with this carpet. We bought some for use at our club that sets up a temporary track every time we run on a gym floor. We ended up trading our new carpet for a bunch of grey CRC. It seems very susceptible stretching during storage at CRC and transportation. Ours had worse humps than yours right off the role.

One local track had issues like this and completely glued it down.

I think it's temperature related. On side is on a cold floor, so it wants to contract while the other side is exposed to warmer air so it expands. Another local track that's using ETS carpet starts getting humps right below the heaters after a couple of hours.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Same carpet, same problem, our track is permanent with a subfloor and temp controlled. Seems to be the same issues for various conditions.

Tried stretching and even getting a professional seam done. Carpet only seems to have the issue at the edges. Sections we had to cut for layout reasons are flat in the center.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another reason to put a sub-floor down with a vapor barrier over concrete. When you get temp and humidity swings you can get condensation on the surface of the carpet. Mainly happens in the spring when it gets warm and humid then you open the doors with a cold floor. It can take hours to normalize.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

We go through the same thing in North Dakota on a concrete floor. We tape the end on top to the floor, then every 8-10 feet, we put down double sided duct tape, have two guys hole the roll up, and two do backwards bunny hops to stretch that section. Repeat until you are done and tape the end on top again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.