Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems.  Please help. >

CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems. Please help.

Like Tree14Likes

CRC Fasttrack II carpet problems. Please help.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donny View Post
Hello, I recently purchased 3 new rolls of fassttrack II carpet from CRC. I'm having trouble getting it to lay flat. It's going on a smooth surface that used to be a skate rink. I'v tried anchoring it on both ends to get the seams flat. I tried both industrial carpet convention tape and wide gorilla tape on the underside of the carpet. If I get it remotely flat it comes undone and the bumps are back the next day. I for a fact have the race surface on top so that's not the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues and how it was corrected? I'm out of ideas. Please help. Thanks.

I know the carpet at Snowbirds a few weeks ago was noticeably thicker than previous batches and was told it was more difficult to seam...
Old 10-12-2021, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Did you ever succeed with flat carpet?

Originally Posted by donny View Post
Hello, I recently purchased 3 new rolls of fassttrack II carpet from CRC. I'm having trouble getting it to lay flat. It's going on a smooth surface that used to be a skate rink. I'v tried anchoring it on both ends to get the seams flat. I tried both industrial carpet convention tape and wide gorilla tape on the underside of the carpet. If I get it remotely flat it comes undone and the bumps are back the next day. I for a fact have the race surface on top so that's not the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues and how it was corrected? I'm out of ideas. Please help. Thanks.

we also have three rolls of CRC carpet unrolled for 5 days now hoping it would flatten out. Not successful. Did you ever get it to work and if so how?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Gonna have to stretch it out.
RacinJ likes this.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Is there any update on this situation? Did the carpet finally lay down? Did you find another way to attach it together?
Old 10-25-2021, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Fix one side to the floor or subfloor, wrap the other end around a 2x4, pull and strech the carpet and attach to the other side of the floor or subfloor. Use carpet tape under the seams. That is what we did for ours, but we leave it down as a permenant track. Not sure what to use for a temp laydown though. We screwed the carpet ends down with large washers to the subfloor.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Bump
Old 10-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc18/xxxt racer View Post
Bump
Old 10-25-2021, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

chensleyrc1 - So how long has the carpet at Prolevel RC been down, and do you get any fuzz?

Old 10-25-2021, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by davidl View Post

chensleyrc1 - So how long has the carpet at Prolevel RC been down, and do you get any fuzz?

It has been down for about 2 seasons now. We had the original black carpet when it came out and replaced it when Drew moved to the current location. It did produce some fuzz at first but is very light now. APEX has recently replaced theirs also. I went to the USVTA Nats there and it had no fuzz at all and very light tire wear.
davidl likes this.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
It has been down for about 2 seasons now. We had the original black carpet when it came out and replaced it when Drew moved to the current location. It did produce some fuzz at first but is very light now. APEX has recently replaced theirs also. I went to the USVTA Nats there and it had no fuzz at all and very light tire wear.
Glad to hear things are going well at Prolevel. We are having great problems at my track in Indy. Does Prolevel require all drivers to use the original version of SXT 3.0 or do they allow the red dot and white dot as well? Also, are any of the cars running pinned tread type tires?
Old 10-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is there any update on this situation? Did the carpet finally lay down? Did you find another way to attach it together?
We got the carpet to lay down flat. We used double faced carpet tape under the two seams. Started at one edge of the center section, doing about 8-10' at a time. To remove the edge lumps, we used an ordinary steam iron, set on steam. wool setting, to iron the carpet from about 3' off the seam towards the seam on each of the lumps. Yup, like ironing your shirt, only this was a 2500 Sq ft shirt! Two afternoons on hands and knees with steam iron did the trick. You must keep the iron moving, as if you leave it in place too long it can melt and image of the iron into carpet.
davidl and mooby64 like this.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Glad to hear things are going well at Prolevel. We are having great problems at my track in Indy. Does Prolevel require all drivers to use the original version of SXT 3.0 or do they allow the red dot and white dot as well? Also, are any of the cars running pinned tread type tires?
We run only sxt black cap and white,, no red.. and no pinned tires allowed. The only treaded tires are usgt and vta. Any pinned type tire will make the carpet fuzz.
davidl likes this.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
We run only sxt black cap and white,, no red.. and no pinned tires allowed. The only treaded tires are usgt and vta. Any pinned type tire will make the carpet fuzz.
I understand and agree with those rules. Wish our track had followed that. Thanks for those replies.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by minidriver View Post
We got the carpet to lay down flat. We used double faced carpet tape under the two seams. Started at one edge of the center section, doing about 8-10' at a time. To remove the edge lumps, we used an ordinary steam iron, set on steam. wool setting, to iron the carpet from about 3' off the seam towards the seam on each of the lumps. Yup, like ironing your shirt, only this was a 2500 Sq ft shirt! Two afternoons on hands and knees with steam iron did the trick. You must keep the iron moving, as if you leave it in place too long it can melt and image of the iron into carpet.
Excellent solution. Thx for your reply.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Excellent solution. Thx for your reply.
There is a rumor out there that Reggio is running pinned tires on his 1/12 scale car!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.