Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Getting back into onroad after a 15 years iatus: looking for chassis recommandation >

Getting back into onroad after a 15 years iatus: looking for chassis recommandation

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 0010
  • 1 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By utieh

Getting back into onroad after a 15 years iatus: looking for chassis recommandation

Old 02-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Getting back into onroad after a 15 years iatus: looking for chassis recommandation

The last time I ran a TC, it was a Yokomo MR4TC BD on a carpet track (2005).
As I'm going to relocate next month, I checked local RC clubs, and there's a fairly large outdoor asphalt track only 20 minutes away.

I still have a few cars I could run: a M03, a Barracuda R2 (kind of shelf queen status) and my partner's TB04-R (which transmission looks super fragile) and F104 with a short wheelbase chassis (mostly for show too)...

I'm open to any suggestions within a pretty limited budget. TC prices seem out of hand at the moment (so no BD10LC for now). I'd also rather stick with legacy brands (Yokomo, Tamiya, XRay...).
I'm looking for something slow.

I'm not much into what people run at this track, otherwise I'd asked there first (TT02 trucks, rally game..)

I'm considering the following:
- Tamiya M07 or M08
- 1/10 pan car or even 1/12
- TT02
- A used T4 2020

...but you might have some better suggestions.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I may have misunderstood your needs here - Are you looking to race at the track or just run laps in practice? If racing, you are pretty much limited to the classes they already run. So that will set some pretty solid limits on what you can buy. If they run a touring car class and that is what you want to run, a used x-ray is a great place to start. You can even go back a few years and still be very competitive. Any T4 2018 and up still has great parts support and will be easy to find on the used market.

If they don't run touring car, and you want to race, then you will need to see what they run and get their input on a good setup.

If you just want to practice, then you can get whatever you want. I don't personally run 1/10th pan car, but from what I have heard, that would be a great place for a beginner. Cars aren't terribly expensive. They are pretty quick and easy to drive and simple to work on.

I would steer clear of a TT01/TT02 unless that class is specifically one you want to race in. They are cheap to get started, but upgrades can get expensive and in the end, you still have a TT0x. I started in the TT class and hated it. However, I was on low grip carpet with tight track boarders, and any unplanned meetings with the track barriers would send parts flying. I spent more on upgrades to get the car durable then I did on the car itself. Your, and other people's experience may be different, but I personally would not recommend a TT to anyone that plans on racing unless that car is specified for the class.
pparrett and Brian10811 like this.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your input. I'm not planning on racing yet, and I don't see any race planned at this track for the coming months. A second hand Xray is a solid choice indeed, seems like you don't need much to make it work.

As for electronics and parts, that's a list I made, thanks to a friend's advice:
- HW Justock combo
- Sanwa PGS-CL2 servo
- Zooracing Preopard body
- shorty lipos (2 pack)
- whatever tire people use around here (France)

I do have an old Futaba 3PL, but I'm considering upgrading to a MT-44S, price is decent and there's a combo that includes 2 RXs.

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
I may have misunderstood your needs here - Are you looking to race at the track or just run laps in practice? If racing, you are pretty much limited to the classes they already run. So that will set some pretty solid limits on what you can buy. If they run a touring car class and that is what you want to run, a used x-ray is a great place to start. You can even go back a few years and still be very competitive. Any T4 2018 and up still has great parts support and will be easy to find on the used market.

If they don't run touring car, and you want to race, then you will need to see what they run and get their input on a good setup.

If you just want to practice, then you can get whatever you want. I don't personally run 1/10th pan car, but from what I have heard, that would be a great place for a beginner. Cars aren't terribly expensive. They are pretty quick and easy to drive and simple to work on.

I would steer clear of a TT01/TT02 unless that class is specifically one you want to race in. They are cheap to get started, but upgrades can get expensive and in the end, you still have a TT0x. I started in the TT class and hated it. However, I was on low grip carpet with tight track boarders, and any unplanned meetings with the track barriers would send parts flying. I spent more on upgrades to get the car durable then I did on the car itself. Your, and other people's experience may be different, but I personally would not recommend a TT to anyone that plans on racing unless that car is specified for the class.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

I just got back in a couple years ago after a 15+ year hiatus. In my past I was a 1/12th scale guy first and foremost, but also got heavy into electric off-road. Now I only have time to focus on one so am doing indoor carpet onroad.

My favorite class right now is WGTR 1/10th scale pan cars on CRC rubber tires. It was a great speed to re-learn how to drive, plus my 10 year old son was able to learn on that class as well. I then bought a 1/12th scale car and running 17.5 class, but absolutely hate the foam tire gluing game. If I didn't love the class so much, I probably wouldn't run it because of the new tiny tires and front sidewall glue. There are rubber tires now and I changed my son over from 17.5 1/12th to GT12 on rubber tires. Way less maintenance for me now at the track as he tended to knock the glue off every other run. With rubber tires, we just kept re-charging the batteries and ran. I don't think I will do GT12 because it's pretty slow. Kind of hoping that rubber tires catch on for 1/12th 17.5.

As for cars, I really like the Roche WGTR and P12 Evo. Best 1/12th scale car I have ever driven, but I am comparing back to 15 year old Speed Merchants and Carpet Knifes. The cars work well and have enough tuning options to play with. Awesomatics has a new car that is very different from any other 1/12th car so it is getting a lot of attention. Interesting car and I think people are still figuring out how to on the handling changes side.

Roche Products International By the way, I am not a sponsored guy. I just liked the quality of the Roche stuff when I started up again a couple of years ago.

Welcome back.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'd love to actually try 1/12, I wish I could had as a kid but there were no on-road track around me at the time.
I'll look into Roche. Just saw AE stepped out of on-road racing, that's kind of sad.

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton View Post
I just got back in a couple years ago after a 15+ year hiatus. In my past I was a 1/12th scale guy first and foremost, but also got heavy into electric off-road. Now I only have time to focus on one so am doing indoor carpet onroad.

My favorite class right now is WGTR 1/10th scale pan cars on CRC rubber tires. It was a great speed to re-learn how to drive, plus my 10 year old son was able to learn on that class as well. I then bought a 1/12th scale car and running 17.5 class, but absolutely hate the foam tire gluing game. If I didn't love the class so much, I probably wouldn't run it because of the new tiny tires and front sidewall glue. There are rubber tires now and I changed my son over from 17.5 1/12th to GT12 on rubber tires. Way less maintenance for me now at the track as he tended to knock the glue off every other run. With rubber tires, we just kept re-charging the batteries and ran. I don't think I will do GT12 because it's pretty slow. Kind of hoping that rubber tires catch on for 1/12th 17.5.

As for cars, I really like the Roche WGTR and P12 Evo. Best 1/12th scale car I have ever driven, but I am comparing back to 15 year old Speed Merchants and Carpet Knifes. The cars work well and have enough tuning options to play with. Awesomatics has a new car that is very different from any other 1/12th car so it is getting a lot of attention. Interesting car and I think people are still figuring out how to on the handling changes side.

Roche Products International By the way, I am not a sponsored guy. I just liked the quality of the Roche stuff when I started up again a couple of years ago.

Welcome back.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xpress XQ1S or XQ2S, 3Racing S64, MTS R3-G are all good options from brands that have been around for a while, even if you may not consider them "legacy". You're really limiting your options for good value products by only looking at those big names.
moparSRT likes this.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

If you want to go 1/12 pan car, CRC makes a pretty good one at a reasonable price. They have been around a long while.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I've just returned after having been away for much longer and found the Yokomo BD chassis series in USGT a friendly point of entry.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go to the track and see what classes people run.

Regarding 12 scale if you purchase a used Roche get a P-17 and not the EVO. I have a CRC as well and it works well too....

Is the track prepped?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
Go to the track and see what classes people run.

Regarding 12 scale if you purchase a used Roche get a P-17 and not the EVO. I have a CRC as well and it works well too....

Is the track prepped?
That's the plan, but from what I'm seeing online, there's not much I'm into: TT02 trucks, rally game, 1/8... euro stuff
Love CRC, 1/12 is strong on my mind, hopefully the track will allow it, I'll check it in person in a couple of weeks after we move.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I ran 1/12 scale back in the 80's and 90's because it was all there was. Went to TC3 touring cars just before I quit racing. When I came back 15 years later a lot had changed. I bought a used 1/12 scale car and ran it on carpet. It was great, but then the carpet track closed down. Started running on an asphalt parking lot track and the 1/12 scale car was just too twitchy, so I bought a 1/10th scale touring car and haven't looked back. They are so much easier to drive than a 1/12 scale car on asphalt. I ran Associated (TC6.1, TC6.2, TC7.1, TC7.2) until they went out of the onroad business, then swapped over to the Awesomatix A800. I would not recommend the A800 unless you have some time to wrench, but I will say it's the fastest car I've ever had. But I'd probably recommend sticking with a more standard Yokomo BD10 or XRay T4. I'd just go down to your local track and see what the majority of people are running at that track and copy them. That way you should have a good supply of spares if you break something. If you want to save money, I'd recommend buying a used Associated TC7.1 or TC7.2, they are still great cars. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I ran 1/12 scale back in the 80's and 90's because it was all there was. Went to TC3 touring cars just before I quit racing. When I came back 15 years later a lot had changed. I bought a used 1/12 scale car and ran it on carpet. It was great, but then the carpet track closed down. Started running on an asphalt parking lot track and the 1/12 scale car was just too twitchy, so I bought a 1/10th scale touring car and haven't looked back. They are so much easier to drive than a 1/12 scale car on asphalt. I ran Associated (TC6.1, TC6.2, TC7.1, TC7.2) until they went out of the onroad business, then swapped over to the Awesomatix A800. I would not recommend the A800 unless you have some time to wrench, but I will say it's the fastest car I've ever had. But I'd probably recommend sticking with a more standard Yokomo BD10 or XRay T4. I'd just go down to your local track and see what the majority of people are running at that track and copy them. That way you should have a good supply of spares if you break something. If you want to save money, I'd recommend buying a used Associated TC7.1 or TC7.2, they are still great cars. Good luck.
Thanks, good to know about 1/12 being twichy on asphalt. A used BD10 or a T4 is what I have in mind, but I'll consider the AE TC7 platform if one is for sell around me.
glennhl likes this.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Xq2s is about £140 in Uk and xq10 if shiny parts are must £430 great brand punches just as hard as yok X-ray and so on . Not bad when you look at top boys now asking £600 in uk now for a kit . Or there are (fwd)frontie tc if there is any isnít your track or local great class and same on price again ft1s for £150 or shiny ft1 for about £350 and these fly for only being fwd