Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Help! Will my electronics fit in this chassis? >

Help! Will my electronics fit in this chassis?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IndyRC_Racer

Help! Will my electronics fit in this chassis?

Old 12-28-2020, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help! Will my electronics fit in this chassis?

I have a 3660 3200kv brushless motor, 15t 0.8 mod pinion, and a BLX100 esc that I was hoping to transplant into an on road chassis. I can't post pics yet but it is carbon fiber with "PMM" cut out in the center cross bar, front bumper, and battery holder. It is a 1/10 scale and the description says it is based on the Tamiya TT-01e. Will this work without more than tuning and changing the pinion? And if I need a different pinion, which one?

Last edited by RTRC_USA; 12-29-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Physically it most likely will. It is 10mm longer than a standard 540. However, I don't think it will work due to the shaft size on the motor. Going up to 5mm is one thing, coming down from 5mm is another, won't work. Bare minimum you will need a different motor that supports 3.17mm shafts.

I know which chassis you are referring to and it is crap. Chinese knockoff is never good.

Personally, save up some cash, get a real chassis, and motor and have fun from there.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To add to what is already posted, most on-road 1/10 scale electric chassis either use 64 pitch or 48 pitch spur gears. Some of the entry level Tamiya chassis (such as the TT-01) use .06 mod gear pitch gears.Additionally many entry level or inexpensive kits may have spur gears that are designed specifically for that kit and there may not be an easy way to replace it with a different pitch gear of your choice. Again this is the case of the Tamiya TT-01 kits where there were very little aftermarket options for spur gears.

One more thing to consider is if the motor mount allows adjustments to accomodate different sized pinion/spur gears for proper gear mesh. Many entry level cars can have limited movement of the motor mount which can affect which gearing options are available. Even on more higher end cars, compromises sometimes have to be made on the size of spur and pinion to achieve the proper gearing ratio for the motor being run or the speeds desired.

I will end by saying that there are enough examples here and online of people modifying their rc cars to work with whatever equipment they want or own. I am not suggesting that your current equipment can't work. However it often can be less reliable and more expensive (money & time) to modify an rc car when there may be better off the shelf solutions to an existing problem.

Please don't let this post discourage you from purchasing the r/c vehicle that you want. But I would recommend quickly posting what you are wanting to do with an on-road kit. There may be a better/cheaper solution that we can recommend depending on your needs (bashing? drifting? racing). There are many almost Ready to Run kits that may be less expensive than the vehicle you are currently looking at and may be better suited to your needs.

I hope this information helps.
AsphaltFlyer likes this.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 12-30-2020 at 08:22 AM.