Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car? >

Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car?

Like Tree96Likes

Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Put that on Jeep owners. Jeep had said that itís aware that less then 10 percent of all Jeepís sold will ever go off road beyond a gravel road. Think they even tried a ad campaign to get people to take there Jeep ďoff the regular pathĒ in the recent years. Itís just not a realistic option for most. People buy them for the look.

This is also true. Just like less than 10% of all trucks will ever tow anything.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
This is also true. Just like less than 10% of all trucks will ever tow anything.
Think truck towing probably a bit higher. There more opportunities between camping, boats, landscaping business and so on. Especially in suburban/city areas. Finding an off road vehicle trail is much harder to find.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Think truck towing probably a bit higher. There more opportunities between camping, boats, landscaping business and so on. Especially in suburban/city areas. Finding an off road vehicle trail is much harder to find.

I use to work for a company that converted Chevy trucks, with a v6, into an electric truck. Well, GM didn't have any more v6 trucks, so we were kinda dead. When they mentioned they couldn't get anymore of these trucks, I told them to look in California because people out there mostly buy trucks for their looks. We found over 20 v6 Chevy trucks in California. We only needed 10.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Tamiya has really been killing it lately. All the new kits, the new designs, and brining new people into the hobby, not to mention the TCS series that is always a hit. I wonder if that is a contributing factor to AE saying " You know what, they are killing us and we cannot make a reliable car to compete with Tamiya.

I am starting to see AE head towards the Traxxas business model, just make fast out of the box RTR's and step back from getting killed on the track.

Just a observation as AE bows out, and Tamiya continues to release badass kits.

I am curious what everyone's opinion is.

would say their results are what made then pull out of tc for now only ever saw AE nationals never club level and same with Tamiya donít see them much so they canít be the reason
Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OMG
liljohn1064 and jammin684 like this.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default ae

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
OMG
Apparently not many are looking at the business side of this issue with AE concentrating on Off road, Crawling, and NP Drags.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jammin684 View Post
Apparently not many are looking at the business side of this issue with AE concentrating on Off road, Crawling, and NP Drags.
please do tell... are you asking me if I know what and why AE did what it did?
Old 12-23-2020, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

I asked a questions a few pages back from the OG post...
Old 12-23-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

this is a weird thread...but let me ask

where do you race and whats your local hobby shop

and also why would anyone assume that AE cant compete against the current crop of cars like Xray AMX or Yoko with the TC7.2 or TC7.2M?....are we not still winning region ROAR titles and podium National races?... in 2020?...and also FYI...anybody every known AE to drop a new TC or 12th scale every year?... except once since the TC3?..anybody?

I am curious
Old 12-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

and also why would anyone assume that AE cant compete against the current crop of cars like Xray AMX or Yoko with the TC7.2 or TC7.2M?....are we not still winning region ROAR titles and podium National races?... in 2020?...and also FYI...anybody every known AE to drop a new TC or 12th scale every year?... except once since the TC3?..anybody?

I am curious
AE have some of the best North American on road drivers but they're not that competitive with the top European drivers. That's why AE gets good results at the national level in North America but don't do well elsewhere. Most of the car brands are capable of winning with the right driver.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default ae

please do tell... are you asking me if I know what and why AE did what it did?
No. I know why they did the drop in my opinion. Just my .02. I do value your opinions though. Have a nice Holiday Season by the way.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

IMO...
I think they dropped because they don't really need it. In the off-road world, they are at the top of the hill, the king on the thrown, the Big Mac... They struggled in on-road racing for not having the same caliber drivers as other countries, so why keep putting money into something that your not the top dog in? As for crawling and drag racing, it's more of a U.S. thing, from what I have noticed. There are a lot of brand loyal people out there that are into these other hobbies. Why shouldn't AE get into them? Why should Traxxas and Arrma be the only big names on those fields?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:53 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
AE have some of the best North American on road drivers but they're not that competitive with the top European drivers. That's why AE gets good results at the national level in North America but don't do well elsewhere. Most of the car brands are capable of winning with the right driver.
omg
what ever

Last edited by OVA; 12-23-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
omg
what ever
What exactly are you insinuating here?
Old 12-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I am curious

Oh I did not know you were specifically calling me out for a reply. I'm sorry, didn't mean ruffle any feathers, just a new topic to get some opinions. ( My eyes just gloss over when people are triggered by a thread topic ) I enjoyed reading the thread and seeing everyone's perspective. It is neat to see the different responses from around the US and compare different facilities and thoughts. Sometimes a slightly provocative thread title can get people thinking about topic, and get some good reply's, and they did not disappoint.

I'll try to answer your questions, so for local, I guess I would say Apex, but I have only been out there once since all this started. Once it all calms down with this stupid virus, I plan on racing my Tamiya TB06 just I like I did back at Thunder when it was kicking. I think we have raced a few times together, I can't remember, however I do remember you showing up with all the new and fun Reedy/Team AE stuff about every week. When I was buying some stuff online at the Apex store, I was surprised to see the TT-02 kits and TC-01 kits available. Never thought I would see that locally, I guess that is why it caught my attention. Heck, even the hobby store in Clarksville TN, of all places, has Tamiya parts. Seriously, color be shocked.

As for all the praise above for AE? Yeah I have no idea what the last race AE won. Not a clue. No idea if it was this year or what. The only thing I remember from AE TC cars, was the steering issue they took a few minor revisions to complete. I am sure in capable hands, the AE TC car could easily win races. In the right hands, I am sure any TC car made in the last 5 years could win some races.

That was not the point of the thread, hence why I didn't pick up your issue with AE. I was asking if all the success we have seen with Tamiya lately had anything to do with it.

From the response I would say no. That's all, these are just toys man, fun expensive toys. People pick their flavor and have fun. I remember buying the TC5 when it came out, dropping $$ for that thing, and it was a.....disappointing to say the least. So fragile, and I could not get it setup to run good with my driving style. I remember sinking hours into that thing to get it up to par. Finally cut my loses and sold the car and went back to my 414 at the time. I was going to make a entire brand change back in the day,( They were as close to a US company in RC as you could get outside of LOSI/Novak, and that was important, as even to this day, manufacturing place does make a difference to me ) but I had the same issue with the B4.1. The B4 was solid as hell, but again just could not dial in the setup and went back to my 201. That is my full extent for driving AE cars.

As for the last question? Again I don't know. I think they might have released the 7.1 and 7.2 and 12.1 all in the same year. I could be wrong. I think I remember a few years ago them pushing out a lot of on-road stuff in one year, maybe they even added a F1 car. I didn't pay much attention, as all the cars they were releasing, Tamiya had been releasing for years prior. ( 12th, F1 and comp TC ). Outside of the RC10 I have never known Team AE to be on the leading edge of technology, including electronics.

Anyway, I hope my response was satisfactory to your request.

Last edited by Metalsoft; 12-24-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.