R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2002, 08:00 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unknown
Well, I just got back from the track after running my P2K2 PRO. Wow, I like it a lot better than the motor it came with. I stuck a 24 tooth pinion and a 72 tooth spur on...and it had some speed. I would just like to make it faster...anyone wanan help with that?
If thats a tc3 you should gear it 72 spur and 27-28 with a p2k2
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:37 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

compared to a 72 tooth spur and 24 tooth pinion..

will a 72 tooth spur and 27 or 28 tooth pinion gearing make it faster off the line...or better high end speed?
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:20 PM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

top end.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:08 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

does anyone make a kit of like 15 spur gears? instead of me going out and buying 15 seperate ones
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Default Spur Gear kits???

Unknown;

Robinson Racing has PINION kits that come with about 6 each. Not sure about the # of teeth though. Check the RR site or Tower for specifics.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:28 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Ghost town

You are right that the brushes will tweak slightly. But think about it. Both of them tweak the same direction. If you are using narrowed brushes, then this problem is minimized. The main point is to have both brushes exactly parrallel to eachother, otherwise the mag. field will be...well,......jalopsided.

In effect, what you are doing may acctually change the timing of the brushes to the comm. if you were really good you could be getting stock motors timed up to around probably 30 degrees
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:59 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

pit crew your theory is correct with one major flaw....manufacturing tollerences!!! you could go through 10 endbells and all 20 hoods would be tweaked differently.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:48 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Pit-Crew;

There is a really good discussion on timed brushes going on right now on the Hobby Talk website.
Hobby Talk

It's in the General Discussions and one of the Motor Forums.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:19 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

Default Pit

Its all good man. The brushes can be perfectly parallel and still not be centered with the comm, this is what I was attempting to imply on my previous post. Remember, its the TRINITY hood alignment tool that sets the hoods at a near perfect 90 degree angle from the comm and parallel to each other. But, in this unperfect world, even perfect is unperfect because different motor manufactures build different brush hoods, springs, brush hood dampners, endbells etc. using an unperfect manufacturing process. This causes each motor to be "slightly" different from the last on average. Now..... I do know that A-Main doesn't stand for the "Average" guys main, nor do I know a fast racer that only does an average tuning job on his motor.

Keeping that mark perfectly in the center of the brush face when setting up a motor is much more important than narrowing the brushes, polishing the bushings, expensive heavy heat sinks, or any type of crappy "Magic" comm drops. A centered brush pushes again the commutator evenly on both sides of the brush face (reducing arcing), the springs pressure stays more consistant against the brush (reducing brush bounce), and finally my good friend Pit, the stock motors PRESET timing will be accurate and effective. Do you think Jim Dieter uses TRINITYS brush hood tool on Matt Francis' Worlds motors?
I_GhostTown_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Default Good poet

I_GhostTown_I;

Good post.

One thing that myself and others have noticed, is that "Epic" based motors seem to need less aligning of the Hoods than the Yokomo based motors. The important thing here is to be looking at your brushes for any signs of misalignment even after using a tool.
Being consistantly fast race ot race requires an extra effort that the AVERAGE guy just doesn't take the time to put into his equipment. How many times have we seen someone leading only to have a wheel come off during the last minute of a race. (won't ever be me).