R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It all come down to marketing. If Novak offers Hara and Reinhard lumps of money to run brushless in the worlds. Your half way there.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
It all come down to marketing. If Novak offers Hara and Reinhard lumps of money to run brushless in the worlds. Your half way there.
BINGO!
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamont
Lipo batteries are great, they provide longer operation times and the weight is a fraction of their NiMH competitors. The cons of Lipo include the seemingly astronomical price tags (although they are getting cheaper) and the attention that is required for safe and proper charging.
Yeah..."seemingly" higher costs...LOL...if one is incapable of simple addition.

One $130 battery for all day, no dischargers, no equalizers and you only need a $120 charger (tops) to get everything out of it. They last 1000 cycles, can be partially charged or partially discharged with no loss of performance...even run three 5 minute heats on one charge....for $250 total.

It's about as silly as thinking that brushless motors are expensive.

So "Dude" -- what I did when I got crap from the guys at my local track (not even on my class) for running a brushless -- went to offroad and started running 4wd mod. Not too hard to drive, loads of fun and run whatever you want for motors. Lots of guys at our track run the Peak LiPos, too.

Tires are cheaper, too.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
why does it seem that everyone puts all the kids in r/c down? (like me)
they (older people) act like im stupid, and that i know notthing
i mean, yes their are a couple of you out their that are very helpful, but its those others the ruin it
There is a elitist attitude once a guy makes it into the "fast ranks" that seems to happen. Not with all racers, but with a lot of them. I've found what it really comes down to is the majority of the people who are "putting down all the kids in r/c" are really just introverts who don't really know better. They get the attitude of putting others down to make themselves feel better due to lack of self esteem or other issues that were probably brought upon by bad parenting or too much MTV when they were 6.

There is a lot of bickering and general foolishness that hurts the hobby, the entire scene, and makes a bunch of grown adults look like a bunch of gomers. It's annoying, sad, and all you can do is keep your chin up, have fun and hopefully those of us without our heads up our rear ends will prevail. Otherwise, we'll be lamenting about how cool this hobby was in 10 years and how it was too bad it eventually died out.

This may seem weird to you but there are actual people out there who get annoyed that we're having fun playing with these cars. They think we should be taking this way more seriously than we are. Weird.

Quote:
why is everything sedan racing, i mean who races their family car, if im gona race, im gona have a lotus elise or a RX-7, not my grandma's Stratus
I hate the Dodge Stratus, I hate the Mazda6, I hate the Alpha Romero (Romeo..whatever) I hate them all ... but you throw down a RX7 sedan and you'll see why all the fast guys are running the cabin forward cars .. they just handle better. Ugly is fast. Years ago someone (HPI?) realized the cabin forward design leant itself to a balanced car, and it's just snowballed from there.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor

why does it seem that everyone puts all the kids in r/c down? (like me)
they (older people) act like im stupid, and that i know notthing
i mean, yes their are a couple of you out their that are very helpful, but its those others the ruin it
Hey man,

Im a teen too, but I dont feel the adults put me down...sure they make jokes...but hey, its all good fun. Ive gotten alot faster this year and have gotten some respect (I think) and I treat the people at the club the way I want to be treated.
ZachKipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
the GT bodies handle like crap.... I'm going back to my corner now so I can stuff it.

Ain't no damn difference Tony...just a bunch of RC Hocus-Pocus. A big circular group think that has everyone convinced that the squashed sedan jellybean bodies are the best there is...

Besides...so what if the bodies "handle" worse??? Todays cars have so many adjustments that you can easily get back whatever it is you lost by going to a more realistic GT body.

So yes...(Sean Connery voice from SNL skit) "stuff it hard and stuff it long Trebeck!!! "

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #22
Tech Adept

LiPo will not last 1000 cylces on r/c car racing, maybe 100 at the most. Check this out with the people flying 3D r/c airplanes and helicopters, they've been using LiPo for years. The first 25 to 50 cycles work good and then they go down just like Ni-MH batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Yeah..."seemingly" higher costs...LOL...if one is incapable of simple addition.

One $130 battery for all day, no dischargers, no equalizers and you only need a $120 charger (tops) to get everything out of it. They last 1000 cycles, can be partially charged or partially discharged with no loss of performance...even run three 5 minute heats on one charge....for $250 total.

It's about as silly as thinking that brushless motors are expensive.

So "Dude" -- what I did when I got crap from the guys at my local track (not even on my class) for running a brushless -- went to offroad and started running 4wd mod. Not too hard to drive, loads of fun and run whatever you want for motors. Lots of guys at our track run the Peak LiPos, too.

Tires are cheaper, too.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

People,

Just another 2 cents (european) here...

BL, I will go for it after I finish the comm on my last 4 BR motors which should take for about half a year... By then I truly hope that our "world" governing body (IFMAR) can come up with some rules that can last a few years. Right now BL motors can be designed with an IFMAR approved label, but is it the right choice? 4,5 ; 5,5 or 6,5 turn motors????? I'm wondering... we used to drive 12turns limit as a modified class over here in Europe.

Wouldn't you all agree to have a few different BL motorwinds for modified, stock and other spec classes? Or do we go 4-cell in 10th scale? But hey, then we need Ifmar and manufacturers to agree!!!!

I dunno... I guess the future will tell...

As for GT-shells, buy a Asso RC10L3 and race it with a GT-shell...
You will be faster & it will cost you even less... Look for some other people who are interested, create some strict rules and regulations and make it a low cost class at your local track... (call it GT-challenge, GT1 for modified and GT2 for whatever spec motor you want)

Greetz

Nilez

Bought a RC10L2 for this summer, just for some inexpensive FUN FUN which is why I started this damn hobby
Nilezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

Quote:
Lipo batteries are great, they provide longer operation times and the weight is a fraction of their NiMH competitors. The cons of Lipo include the seemingly astronomical price tags (although they are getting cheaper) and the attention that is required for safe and proper charging.
ok, wo wo wo, how much is a set of GP3700's (like 70 bucks right) and from what i have herd, they last a couple races (for serious racers)

and then new Orion 4800 is like 160

the new Orion Carbon Advantage charger does double duty, and is not alot (for a nice charger)

and most lipos (key word:most) cut off when they are at 5 amps (i think) and when u notice a decline in speed, u need to pull in, and they dont drop off like reg. batts. do, they keep putting out the same voltage untill the last couple mins of driving,

and the BL blowing up is something i have never herd of
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #25
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

The reasons why I have not jumped into Brushless or LiPo:
1) Brushless still needs some work. I don't think the technology is there yet especially in dealing with the ESC. I don't want to invest in a bunch of stuff that still has bugs in it that need to be worked out. Plus you know the next jump in Brushless technology is just around the cormer and the brushless stuff that is currently out is going to be 100% obsolete...not even worth messing with.
2) As far as Lipo's, read above. They are much more fussy when charging and are much more dangerous. The charger support for these batteries is still almost non-exhistant as well. Sorry, but I'm not going to buy a Duratrax anything. plus, I don't want to stand up on the drivers stand for 30 minutes...Heck, I can barely stand up there for 5 minutes! I can see it now, Cleveland, Novak and Snowbirds go from being 4 day events to 2 month events!!
3) The Brushless ESC's are huge and the motors are heavy. The cars are not designed for this. The chassis are getting smaller and smaller and the Brushless ESC's and motor's are huge. The weight of the motors just kills the balance of the cars.
4) I like the idea of being able to build my own battery packs and tune my own. It's another factor that seperates the men from the boys and makes this hobby more competitive and IMO, more fun. Running Lipo's and Brushless brings everyone closer to the same level and will more than likely cost less in the long run but who says that is good for the sport? While good for some, I do not believe this is the best for the sport...less inovation and advancement.

My $.02!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote