R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default 1/12th scale cars

How much diffrent is a 12th scale driving wise from a touring car? is it harder or not? im thinkin of getting the new corally 12th scale and runing it somewheres if i can find a place.. but id like to run it just woundering on how hard it would be. Oval is all i run to dont forget that and carpet. Also will it ever be big agian?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many good drivers will tell you, "If you can drive 12th, you can drive anything." This is partly because they are tougher to drive on asphalt than 1/10th pan, or 1/10th touring. They have all the same components and power in a smaller package. What this means is, on asphalt, you will have to think about your throttle finger a lot more! With 1/12th scale, you are thinking about your steering AND throttle. With 10th scale touring for example, you can mash on the throttle and all 4 wheels drive you forward (hence it's popularity). With 12th, you'll spin out if you mash on the throttle. On carpet, however, 12th is easy to drive since you won't spin out.

I feel very fortunate that I got into on-road racing many years ago and chose 12th scale. Most of my learning was 12th scale on asphalt, and it became very natural to control the throttle and steering equally as well. Nowadays, my 12th scale friend and I are often handed random scale cars/trucks in order to fill a class for club racing. We run other people's cars/trucks and are always right at the top or win. I truly believe 12th scale training was the biggest factor there. I would highly recommend 12th scale to everyone.

As for the future of 1/12th scale, I can only imagine that it will never die, for 2 main reasons. #1, it's one of the oldest scales there is (someone fill us in on how many years). #2, as smaller technology improves and space becomes more of an issue, it would seem to suggest that smaller scales will be become more popular.

Last edited by James35; 03-26-2006 at 12:25 AM.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Ialmost bought a 12th scale back in the 80's, have been in-and-out of the sport for some time, and having re-commited myself to the whole thing, I am ready to buy my 1st 12th scale car, probably a 12l4. I want to learn and master the art of driving these things, and have fun (most important) The class has taken up steady popularity at my local tracks and I hope it continues. From an aesthetic stand-point these cars are beatifull, really nice to watch. I'm down!!

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
Tech Elite

y wouldnt you wait and buy you a corraly 1/12th from what i hear its going to be the best out of them all.. Im going to get me one i guess im hearing the same as posted above drive this conqur all forms of r/c racing..
Old 03-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
From an aesthetic stand-point these cars are beatifull, really nice to watch. I'm down!!
Absolutely right about that

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 10:32 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
How much diffrent is a 12th scale driving wise from a touring car? .......
12th scale = go kart
touring car = semi truck

Well, maybe not that extreme..... At the local track, the 4 cell stock motored 12th scales are about one third of a second slower per lap than the 6 cell 19t motor sedans.....
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ultraspeed

To quote my fellow 12th scale racing buddy, Cypress Midwest, driving a 1/12th scale car that is not set up correctly beats out driving a properly set up touring car any day. I have raced a 12th scale on asphalt yet, but I will this spring/summer. I did race 12th scale on carpet all winter long and there is just no comparison between the two classes.

An example would be the race length. You run a touring car powered by a 6 cell battery for 4 minutes at a time. That is cool and all, but in 12th scale you run 4 cells @ 8 minutes. You do the math. Being super aggressive with the throttle on the touring car and you may finish the race in a decent position. Being super aggressive with the throttle on a 12th scale for 8 minutes and your batteries will dump halfway into the race. I've flown rc planes for years and throttle management is critical w/3D planes. The same holds true for 1/12 scale racing. You have to be gentle (but aggressive enough to keep up with the pack).

Secondly, there is the power to weight issue. You slap a standard 540 can (stock or modified) motor into a 4wd touring car that weighs b/t 3-3.8 pounds and hammer your way around the track. However, you slap the same motor into a 12th scale car (Direct 2wd, pan chassis, 1/2 of the weight) you finess your way around the track. Not to mention there is more steering in driving a 12th scale car.

Personally, I feel if you try 1/12th scale racing you will be hooked. At my local track(s) I feel like I am forcing the touring car around the track. The 12th scale car just flows around the track.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

llamont

Last edited by llamont; 03-26-2006 at 12:49 PM.
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Tech Master

You should really give it a go mate. You can get really good 12ths off a well known auction site for a cheap price, take away 2 cells from your regular race packs and away you go. If you are not happy, resolder the cells together and put the chassis back on the well known auction site and get your money back on it! Seriously though, it does seem that TC racing involves not a lot more than full throttle every where and steering around whereas 12ths need a super smooth throttle finger (easy to go flat in 5-6 minutes but you have to make 8 + split lap remember) and super smooth steering for perfect lines lap after lap. Where I race, you go wide on one corner and three people will dart through, pretty intense, and for 8 minutes as well! You also get more run time for the same entry fee as a bonus! Feel free to ask any questions and I will endevor to answer honestly!! Cheers, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Could not have said it better myself!

llamont
Old 03-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Tech Elite

wow intense guys im loving this... I just wish there would be more people geting in to it. Im for sure getting one now just got to wait for corally to speed up and get there new 12th scale. IS stager a big deal on these cars i know that touring cars i cant really make out the diffrence in stager i just all ways run a little in the front and rear but if its like a gokart then stager is a big deal.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Stagger on a 12th scale?

llamont
Old 03-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Tech Adept

All i could say about topic - this weekend i tried my first 1/12 car (L4) and now i even do not want to touch my mod touring (FK05). The car was going so nicely and fast. Working on it is much much easier than on touring. There are so few parts that can worn out, and its much cheaper as well.
On carpet i really like it better then TC, how ever i still prefere TC for asphalt better than 12th
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #13
Tech Elite

yeah stager on a 12th scale big deal? noticable diffrence?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisK
All i could say about topic - this weekend i tried my first 1/12 car (L4) and now i even do not want to touch my mod touring (FK05). The car was going so nicely and fast. Working on it is much much easier than on touring. There are so few parts that can worn out, and its much cheaper as well.
On carpet i really like it better then TC, how ever i still prefere TC for asphalt better than 12th
Yes, fewer parts is often an overlooked advantage to 1/12th scale. This translates into racing that is half of the cost of 1/10th touring. I've also noticed that 12th scales break less than any other class.
Additionally, 4 cells costs less than 6 cells. Plus the reduced weight allows your tires to last a lot longer. Same with your gears and other moving parts.

Less weight, half the cost, just as fast, beautiful, tough as nails, and allows you to become the the most skillful driver you can be. Long live 12th!
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another awsome 1/12th scale fact:

Buy 2 6-cell packs and you get 3 1/12th packs!

Don't buy 4 cell packs EVER, because buying 3 4-cell packs is always more expensive than getting 2 6-cell packs.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote