R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Also a word to the wise who are saying put your chassis in you luggage with your clothes...

That isn't a good idea. The reason you want to carry on ATLEAST your radio and car is YOU CAN BORROW EVERYTHING ELSE at the track when you get there if your luggage is lost.

But if you show up with NOTHING, because your car and radio were in the lost luggage...good chance you aren't gonna be racing that weekend. Its gonna be hard to find EVERYTHING to race with...
Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Thanks everyone...

imprsme, gary k, everyone else..... thanks for the insight/info.

now i can pack for my thursday flight anyone know the weight limit for check in luggage for Delta airlines?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Deznuts- that bag is probly to big for overhead compartment.

Just goto your local sports store and by a CHEAP athletic bag. Like a Nike gym bag you can get them for about $10. use that as your carry one. The one I got I put 3 cars with bodies, 3 mags. and my M11 in it.

Even then if you board the plane late if you have to you can put that under your feet. if the overheads are full.

Plus that way you always know where your stuff is....
Old 03-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

To add to no motorspray or traction compound, they took my shoe-goo and my CA kicker going to the last race. I never got stopped at security with my car and radio in my carry-on, but I put my batteries in there and it got checked out everytime. I had no problems, but if your looking to avoid the hassle, pack your batteries in your luggage.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #20
Tech Elite

That guy ^^^^^^ should know...LOL I am sure he has flown to more races than anyone that has posted so far...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

who's bobby flack?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

He's a legend
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I took my 3 bags to the roar nats this year and had to rearange a few things as I was 51.5 on 2 bags and 37 on my sportwerks bag. I have the trinity big hauler and the old trinity bag with wheels on it and it works great. I have a bunch of flambeau cases 7013 http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdr...fly_boxes.html in it and the stock boxes in the big hauler. I check all my RC stuff but make sure I take a oneway non stop ticket there. don't care how I get home worry about that later. I carry on my laptop and my clothes and my camera. do use ziplock bags for oils and stuff as they may leak out like my niftech bearing oil did on my last trip to stockton. next flight is vegas I guess.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

with all the "scare" at the airports, dont ya think these chargers and batteries will ring off "homeland security" (you know all the wires, bulbs, etc..)as rc'ers being possible bomb suspects.. HAHAHA, and it doesnt help the bag smells like WINTERGREEN!

eep.
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Having to spend 8-10 months of the year travelling for work I have some experience hauling RC gear around. I got one of the Hot Bodies pit hauler bags (I like it more than most since it's a bit more compact) and toss all my gear (car, power supply, charger, batteries, tools, etc) in it minus the radio which I toss in my carry on. I always fly Delta and fortunately never paid any excess luggage fee since the dimension and weight are under the limit. I taped an up arrow and fragil on my bag and also my buisness card attached to the handle. I use Plano containers in the hauler bag tools, parts, batteries, etc and I use my pit towel and air bags to pad everything (charger, discharger, soldering iron, etc). I've used it for a couple of trips now and it's holding up fine and haven't had any damage yet...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I flew Delta to the Snowbirds... the limit was 50lbs. As Anthony/Imprsme said.. carry on the car and radio. I took my 415 with body in my 415 box (it's nice because it has a handle) as a carry on. You are allowed 2 carry ons.. one small bag (my 415 box) and one normal size carry on (my back pack). I tucked some undies and socks in my 415 box as stuffers. I carried on my batteries in my back pack so they could see what they actually were. But I did pack my radio (wrapped in t-shirts) in the hard Samsonite suitcase I had. I also tossed in some RC mags in the suit case as a Hint Hint to the inspectors. I packed my power suppy, discharger, and charger in the original box that they came in so that they would have no question as to what they were. Everything else was in the fishing box/plano containers. Only pack what you need. Everything else you should buy at the track... traction compound... motor spray... etc...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Another thought on this is to buy a Pelican Case (www.pelicanproducts.us). All the engineers in my company use these cases to transport test equipment, tools, etc and I actually thought about getting one since you can wheel it to the track as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #28
Tech Adept

If you want a big pain in the ass pack your batteries in your carry on. Just went to the Roar Nats and my bags were on edge of 50 lbs so the batteries went in the carry on. Even though the secuity knew what they were the took every one of them (8 packs) out their box and wiped them down with the explosive wand and checked each one. They then left all my stuff on the table and told me to hurry up and get out of the way. I know its their job and I was nice about it but in the future no batteries in my carry on.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quite so, Jim.

I travle to seven or eight regional races each year and run two classes, so even when you only bring what you've gotta bring...it's a LOT. I use two bags:
1) Samsonite clamshell suitcase- just the plastic shell, no liner at all. Got it for $100 at a Samsonite outlet seven or eight years ago because it has three locking hasps on it and wheels. Weighs about 8-10 pounds, leaving me exactly 40 pounds to put in it: two cars, radio, chargers, power supply, tools, and misc small stuff that goes in the cracks, as well as spare bodies and some clothing. Done this so many times I wind up within a pound of the 50 limit every time. Also include a printed sheet on top of the RC stuff identifying what it is and asking TSA to repack it properly if they inspect it.
2) Super heavy duty cordura Marlboro bag (they make some great heavyweight bags) lined with heavy corrigated carboard and foam runner. This one holds the batteries, tires, wheels, power strip, and more small stuff as well as the rest of my clothes. Weighs in right at about 40 pounds and stacks on top of the clamshell case to pull it through the airport and parking lot.
3) Carry on. No RC stuff, just what I need on the plane. Always take a direct flight and have never had my bags lost.

And let me add to the warnings others have posted: don't travel with solvents, paints, motor spray, etc. Sooner or later it will get confiscated. I've even had solder flux and bearing oil disappear. Now I ship everything I can't buy locally to the track (with a return UPS label inside of it) and send it home afterwards. Not cheap, but less expensive than getting to the track and findoing out they don't stock your brand of stuff.

Later
Doc

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually I lied it's a 7003 and 7004 from flambeau

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdr...n_spinner.html
the 7004 is good for tools and parts 12th scale tires and the 7003 holds several sets of touring car tires in the back open area. and I didn't know they had the 7000 as it could hold anything.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote