R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Fast bodies (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/107274-fast-bodies.html)

Hayden 03-24-2006 11:00 PM

Fast bodies

I see a lot of the competition cars have very similar if not the same bodies like the Pontiac firebird, toureza, lola etc…. I like the Lamborghini murcielago and the ford cougar bodies from hpi, are they good for racing a brushless car?
What other hpi bodies are fast?
Thanks

tony q 03-24-2006 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hayden
I see a lot of the competition cars have very similar if not the same bodies like the Pontiac firebird, toureza, lola etc…. I like the Lamborghini murcielago and the ford cougar bodies from hpi, are they good for racing a brushless car?
What other hpi bodies are fast?
Thanks

as far as looks, HPI bodies are good but for handling and speed try protoform body's like mazda 6, or dodge and if you like honda try rayspeed or ride.

DR.FeelGood 03-24-2006 11:20 PM

But there is only one prob the word CIVIC and speed should not be used in the same sentance bad grammer!

tony q 03-24-2006 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by DR.FeelGood
But there is only one prob the word CIVIC and speed should not be used in the same sentance bad grammer!

check your spelling " sentence " not sentance bad spelling! ;)

Nicadrauspro4 03-24-2006 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DR.FeelGood

No one here has mentioned the word "Civic" and "speed" in a sentence but only you. Are you replying in the right thread???

:nod: :tire:

Hayden 03-25-2006 02:15 AM

Mazda 6? Wouldn’t something like s7r saleen be more aerodynamic?
I prefer hpi because there very easy to get.

housey 03-25-2006 02:30 AM

a saleen isnt a good racing shell, a nice replica looking shell, but not very good for racing. You cant go wrong with a mazda 6, or a ride accord or stratus. These are the best shells at the moment i think

AngryAsian 03-25-2006 03:07 AM

Good aero is a combination between grip and low drag....

Obviously you can't have both... a big wing = big grip but high drag. Unfortunately, fluid dynamics don't scale down to model sizes and low drag wings just don't make any useful downforce at the low speeds rc cars travel at...

The "race" shells like the mazda 6, stratus, nemesis etc. are both wider and lower than the replica shells that HPi do. Even the saleen which looks long and low, really isn't that much so. The murcialago is a PIG and is much higher than it looks in the catalogue.

Also, unfortunately, these wedge shaped shell generate lots of front downforce and little rear downforce. Not great on an rc that's travelling quick. A saleen with a large full widge wing might not be too bad. But then again, you might as well just get a shell designed for high speeds/low drag and good handling to begin with...

So.. go buy a proline racing shell... you'll find they're cheaper anyway!!
Race shells are generally more slippery, have a shape that channels the air down the centre-line, have a re-enforced wing and low skirts and rear extensions to aid in generating ground effect. They also have rear cut-lines that help evacuate the air from under the car... all good things in a high speed shell..

LINK:
http://www.prolineracing.com/protoform.html

RcCzarOfOld 03-25-2006 04:53 AM

What about the Losi Skoda 2 body? I just picked up a JRX-S and I'm really liking the molding of this shell. There is a raised ridge along the outer edge of the hood and up the A-pillars to help channel air over the body plus it has a very good wing. I haven't run it yet so I have no personal input on it, it just looks like it should perform rather well. Does anyone else have any experience with this one?

Tony

Hayden 03-25-2006 05:41 AM

I like the nemesis is that a good body?
when you say Stratus which one?
Are the praline bodies better quality than the hpi?
Are they as good to paint, cut out, and have good quality decals?

t4m1y4niac 03-25-2006 07:07 AM

Nemesis is a good shell just like Mazda 6, Stratus and Accord.
in the way i feel Mazda 6 has the most agressive handling, then Nemesis, Accord (Ride) and the last is Stratus type 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0. Stratus 3.0 has a bunch of downforce, very helpful in low traction track surface. :smile:

TEM 03-25-2006 02:34 PM

I like the way the Alfa's handle but I also find them butt ugly!

thedudeaturdoor 03-25-2006 02:55 PM

wtf wrongs with civcis?

there not all that bad

but why does ROAR not have Coupe racing class

i mean who races there family car?

F1ferrari 03-25-2006 03:04 PM

HPI has the stratus 2.0 i think its called really good body

Grizzbob 03-25-2006 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
Nemesis is a good shell just like Mazda 6, Stratus and Accord.
in the way i feel Mazda 6 has the most agressive handling, then Nemesis, Accord (Ride) and the last is Stratus type 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0. Stratus 3.0 has a bunch of downforce, very helpful in low traction track surface. :smile:

Right, the right kind of body really depends on the kind of track you race on, some require different things. Now some like the Nemesis, Stratus2.0 or 3.0(general purpose) are good all-around shells that can work on most any track, though they may not always be ideal. But on big, lower grip surfaces, you need a fairly slippery body but also need a good sized rear wing, & that's what the Mazda6 is best for(main thing is it's best on lower-grip surfaces, stays balanced & has plenty of rear wing to keep the car planted). And then on high grip tracks like carpet ones, you need more aggressive steering & a bit less overall downforce, which the Alfas seem best at(& Parma's Alfa seems the best of the lot for that), plus there's also a Protoform Stratus 3.0 carpet version that also appears to work well. But by far, the most important thing is which body feels best to YOU on whatever track you're on(for example, I've tried some of the Alfas, & honestly I can't get comfortable with them on ANY track I've raced on, so I tend to stay away from them, will lean toward the Stratus or Nemesis for carpet & the Mazda for asphalt/low-grip surfaces). It's really up to you.... :cool: