Indoor carpet questions.. >

Indoor carpet questions..

Like Tree10Likes

Indoor carpet questions..

Old 09-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Indoor carpet questions..

What carpet do you guys race on? Few rc specific brands. Or cheapest from menards? Need input for our local club. Foam or rubber tires? Thoughts?

Old 09-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hummer Man View Post
What carpet do you guys race on? Few rc specific brands. Or cheapest from menards? Need input for our local club. Foam or rubber tires? Thoughts?
For Carpet On Road. Most use CRC Black carpet. It is great for both foam and rubber tires.

https://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules....howpage&pid=11
Old 09-15-2020, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Any idea how that compares to this?

https://www.sommerflooring.com/rc-carpet.html
Old 09-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Those are both excellent choices.

ETS seemed like lower grip than CRC black, but that's not really a bad thing.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Well, look at that. ETS carpet in the States.

I've not raced on ETS carpet, but I have raced on several iterations of CRC black. I won't make a performance comparo, but I can make an observation based on posted specs.

Since this is an onroad thread, I'll assume you're looking at the onroad version of the ETS rug, which they spec at 9 oz/yd.

CRC weighs in at 185 lbs for a 12x100 roll.

Check my math: 1200/9=133; 185/133=1.4; 1.4 x 16=22. CRC is quite generous with the runoff, so for purposes, call it 20 oz/yd.

Give/take, the onroad ETS rug is half the weight of CRC.

I have read and been told by those with direct experience [insert large grain of salt] that ETS carpet is a great single event rug, but that by the end of a long weekend it's quite tattered. This would square with the posted weight, which seems light, as well as the fact it is otherwise sold as an event carpet (light, cheap, recyclable) and not as a permanent flooring solution.

I can write directly to CRC's durability, as our own club--as well as others in the region--is a setup/teardown track and our rug is holding up well through several seasons. It has been a solid investment.

Going by the pick-two rule--cheap, durable, fast--you get cheap and fast with ETS rug, as compared to durable and fast with CRC rug.

We can argue for 1000 posts about whether CRC black is the best or worst thing to happen to carpet racing since Paragon was banned, but I'm confident to observe that successful races have been hosted on both CRC and ETS surfaces.
robk, dawgmeat, sps3172 and 1 others like this.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

a simple fact is you get what you pay for- CRC Black with a subfloor.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

I second that. Take care of it, vacuum it and have members treat it well and it will treat the racers well.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

seen clubs race on astro turf crc carpet..and Ozite carpet but the sprayed and anti static down a few time a year. ran foams with sauce foams no sauce.and rubber tires..its how cheap or expensive can your local club afford?. and how many tires do you want to go thru a season or month.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Well to be honest we are currently only averaging 12-15 racers a weekend. Few hours of racing till the following weekend. We tend to do it “right” though. Bought a RC4 mylaps decoder etc. we’ve been racing outdoors. But working on getting permission to race on a hs gym basketball court for the winter. And perhaps year round. I’d like to limit tire wear as best as we could. Thank you for all the input.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well to be honest we are currently only averaging 12-15 racers a weekend. Few hours of racing till the following weekend. We tend to do it “right” though. Bought a RC4 mylaps decoder etc. we’ve been racing outdoors. But working on getting permission to race on a hs gym basketball court for the winter. And perhaps year round. I’d like to limit tire wear as best as we could. Thank you for all the input.
12-15 are actually decent numbers.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
12-15 are actually decent numbers.

Oh it’s going well for only have started two and a half months ago. But we have bigger plans.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Crc. You guys having to glue sidewalls? Not sure we want to do that all the time.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some will state otherwise, but most will agree that gluing the side was is necessary to avoid traction rolling on CRC black.
hanulec likes this.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Crc. You guys having to glue sidewalls? Not sure we want to do that all the time.

I'm sure that you don't.

I'll gladly true foam tires for anyone willing to glue my rubber sidewalls.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Considering what some do to prepare tires. Gluing sidewalls is nothing. Takes about 10 minutes. And not needed every time out. Mostly seeks to be for VTA and F1 because of the large sidewall. Not done it for USGT or slicks.

I don’t like that there’s all this tire voodoo that most of us will never learn. But it what it is. I watch guys at the clay track spend a hour on each tire sanding down brand new tires. I’ll take a little glue over that
sps3172 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.