Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie to Electric & On-road

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default Newbie to Electric & On-road

Hey...I'm new to electric and on-road and am just looking for opinions on cars. I am stuck between the HPI Pro4 Hara Edition or the AE TC4 FT kit. I'm just looking for suggestions and wondering which has the best handling, adjustability, upgradeability and durability.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is going to sound like a cop out but you really can't go wrong with either. Personally I lean towards Associated (because that's mostly what I've driven all the time I've been in this hobby). But I'd be hard pressed to point out major faults on either one......
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

hey i got a tc4 ill sell you if you want with a body and a battery with the car its a ft tc4 thats ive only ran like 4 times im lookin to get me a rdx or yoko or the t2 prolly the rdx since i run manly only carpet oval. Let me know ill give you a price but for a new starter car id go with the tc4 great to learn on i hear the pro4 is a pro car that needs to be drove by a pretty good driver if you got alot of practice already then go get you a pro4 but in my opionion if you go shaft then niether car is bad.. Mine has the hpi pro4 shocks and all on it and i also will include them with the car and a set of foam tires. prolly sale around 350 or so.. the only diffrence here is that it together and got great shocks and come with springs and all that. i just really want a rdx.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

first of i used to want a good shaft drive car i mean i loved my tl-01 then when i had the $$ i upgraded at first i was like u ft tc4 or hara pro 4 but when i talked to racers the leaned away from shaft drive cars as they can chip pinion teethc especially with a one way and also they dont like the snap that comes with the shaft but the snap is what some racers love. i ended up with a second hand mi2 and i havnt broke it which is amazing considering i spend more time being marshaled then racing.
really you will either love it or hate it my self will oneday probably buy a shaft car just to compare but in classes like mod and 19t it seems u cant go past beltsbut in stock some people swear shafts are more efficent therefore faster.
bottom line if your a great driver u will notice the difference between to competition cars but if your new like my self get whats cheap and other people run that way u have support and cheap parts maybe in a few seasons ull know what car suits u? im still decideing.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Depends on where you want to run the car. TC4 has adjustment for stiffness on the chassis without changing the chassis so it can easily adopt to both carpet and asphalt racing. Pro 4 has lots of steering if that is what you want. Pro 4 is geared more for asphalt racing. If you want a stiff chassis with Pro 4, you need to purchase separate chassis. I feel that TC4 may be weaker in parts. I own a Pro 4 (not hara edition) and needed to dial out some steering (when using One-way). I am totally comfortable with Pro 4 when I use front diff.

I think the best thing for you to do is to test both cars, if you can and compare and contrast the difference in handling characteristic.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Those are both great cars, and would suit you just fine, especially just starting out. I know it's not on your list, but if you haven't looked into the Tamiya TA05, it might be worth considering at least. There's a thread here on the car that is a wealth of information. They start out very inexpensive, and you can add a whole pile of upgrade parts along the way as needed, practically turning it into Tamiya's flagship touring car.

But, back to the two cars you mentioned, they'd both be fine. I think the Pro4 has been superseded by the Hot Bodies Cyclone, so it may not be the newest car in its lineage. The FTTC4 is currently the most recent offering from Team Associated.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

ok...thanks...I will be asphalt racing, draging and mabee put some stuff for drift. but i probably wont be raceing at my club for a while cause i have Crew on all the race days...so i will probably just be raceing with friends and stuff for a while.

Thanks for all of the replies!