Search
Like Tree57Likes

Beginner Spec GT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Are they? Would you break that down for me? I feel like we're not looking at the same price lists.
Both CRC and Schumacher have kits ~$200
Heck I literally just picked up 2 new in box X12s '19s for 200 each.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
1s ESC are higher priced. Plus can’t transfer if someone does stay with racing and decided to move up in a class.

In a previous thread. 1/12 was suggested by a number. I like 1/12, but there currently no interest in them in my area. Despite they being the perfect size for the small indoor track we have.

For someone just starting or just wanting to try racing. 1/12 is a tough sell. Since can’t really use it away from the track.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

This topic is doomed to fail....

Again, starting racers do not want to invest in something when they have a car. We can setup a list of cars and rules but at the end it is doomed or it will be filled with more experienced drivers.

Step out of this forum, seatrch for online places where young people hang out and start a survey about who has an RC car, what they want and what is holding them back.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
This topic is doomed to fail....

Again, starting racers do not want to invest in something when they have a car. We can setup a list of cars and rules but at the end it is doomed or it will be filled with more experienced drivers.

Step out of this forum, seatrch for online places where young people hang out and start a survey about who has an RC car, what they want and what is holding them back.
If you're defeatist, you're defeated.

So, how do you keep expereinced drivers out? I have several ideas.

As for asking around, to see who wants to do what? They do.. just they never have what we consider race appropriate cars.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Well...........tub chassis shaft drive will keep at least half of them out.

Cherry pickers will cherry pick though.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got my CRC X10-RT for $150. Doesn't mean you could do that tomorrow.

So, lets do this. Real prices of 1/12 scale cars.

CRC CK25, $200.
Xray X12, $300 (lowest I saw was $325)
Schumaker Atom 12, $200.

Ok, reasonably the chassis is $2-300. But they come with ~nothing~. No server saver, no servo, no motor, no tires, no body, and in many cases, no fluids. And no tuning parts beyond like.. rear axle height.

Lets say we're running 2s (to make it sane to move hardware to new chassis) you're still looking at $200 for running gear. More if we're talking 1s.

You'll need gears too, as this isn't going to be a normal gearing setup. That's $15.

$20 for tires, but who's gonna true them?

Then another $20 for a body.

Finally $100 for a transponder.

You're looking at a minimum of three separate orders, and some $500 to get a car that has no use, anywhere but on indoor low pile carpet. Worse than that, most of the parts involved don't have coheasive manuals, so for someone to start out, they're going to need a whole lot of help. From mounting and trimming the body, to figuring out how to lay out gear on the pan, to wiring up the ESC, as none of the "proper" escs are going to have things setup for this.

Same money could get you a belt driven touring car. Or even a shaft driven touring car, that you can drive outside the track and get some joy when not.. racing. Or, importnatly, practice when not at the track.

​​​​​​​I think.. if we're talking about "what car to run" we're not talking about the right subject here.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're defeatist, you're defeated.

So, how do you keep experienced drivers out? I have several ideas.

As for asking around, to see who wants to do what? They do.. just they never have what we consider race appropriate cars.
I've been talking to Nero and head some of his ideas and they are very good. I've talked to Mantoya and he has had some ideas that are also very good.

This isn't designed for the cars you get at Walmart or used to get at Toys R Us that you pretty much throw away once you break apart in a crash. You break that New Bright Corvette you got for your birthday or Christmas running it at most RC tracks. that thing is toast.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I got my CRC X10-RT for $150. Doesn't mean you could do that tomorrow.
So, lets do this. Real prices of 1/12 scale cars.
CRC CK25, $200.
Xray X12, $300 (lowest I saw was $325)
Schumaker Atom 12, $200.
Ok, reasonably the chassis is $2-300. But they come with ~nothing~. No server saver, no servo, no motor, no tires, no body, and in many cases, no fluids. And no tuning parts beyond like.. rear axle height.

Lets say we're running 2s (to make it sane to move hardware to new chassis) you're still looking at $200 for running gear. More if we're talking 1s.

You'll need gears too, as this isn't going to be a normal gearing setup. That's $15.

$20 for tires, but who's gonna true them?

Then another $20 for a body.

Finally $100 for a transponder.
You need most of that for a TC too.

Same money could get you a belt driven touring car.
Weird, I'm pretty sure I suggested that in the same post I made about 12th.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
1s ESC are higher priced. Plus can’t transfer if someone does stay with racing and decided to move up in a class.

In a previous thread. 1/12 was suggested by a number. I like 1/12, but there currently no interest in them in my area. Despite they being the perfect size for the small indoor track we have.

For someone just starting or just wanting to try racing. 1/12 is a tough sell. Since can’t really use it away from the track.
Im pretty sure the electronics AND the chassis will transfer to the Pan car classes.

I just don't see "hey buy this car that you will need to get rid of to race in any other class " an easy sell either.

You are making another Euro truck class... just with different bodies and tires.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Im pretty sure the electronics AND the chassis will transfer to the Pan car classes.

I just don't see "hey buy this car that you will need to get rid of to race in any other class " an easy sell either.

You are making another Euro truck class... just with different bodies and tires.
That’s if you have a Pancar class. 1/12 is 1s here on the rare occasion it does run. I do now that some places have been running a 2s based class. But that hasn’t reached into my area.

I do somewhat agree that it could end up similar to euro truck. Euro truck is run by all ranges here. From the fast guys to those just starting.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

I understand the comparisons to Euro Truck but one thing that distinguishes something like this from that is for starters, the bodies are much more recognizable than the Euro Trucks. If you took a poll of most people beyond the RC hobby, I doubt that they'd recognize those trucks unless they were auto racing fans and even then, you'd have to be pretty hardcore to be familiar with the FIA European Truck Racing Championship without Googling it. Id say a larger number would at least recognize many of the bodies in the list I posted at the beginning. Now one thing I did not mention in the initial listing (which was an error on my part) is that for quite a few of the chassis that I listed that are under the noted price point, their kit bodies would actually fit within the scope of the body rule because they are based on actual cars that are raced in FIA GTE, GT3 or GT4 competition (the exception being the Yokomo SD9)...heck Tamiya makes a living on scale realism in their bodies. I noted this in a discussion I had with Nerobro this morning, but with the touring car bodies nowadays, they look nothing like the touring cars that ran in touring car classes of the past or present. Frankly, if I had to compare them to anything, it'd be the DPi cars of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Some of it may be due in part to licensing costs and what have you, but I think a lot of it is going back to squeezing that extra tenth or two that the fast guys are looking for and so you end up with bodies that can run in a class like USGT but are barely recognizable as a GT body I've seen watching WEC or IMSA races on YouTube. Scale realism has been lost on the altar of performance and the requisite costs that come with it.
angrymelon likes this.

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 09-08-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love the idea of this class, but like mrreet said, it's kind of another variation of Euro Truck. If the win at all costs folks are going to run Euro Truck, why would they also not run this class? I still think that figuring out how to populate a novice class is 1st and foremost. We have several classes beyond that where people can figure out how they want to invest. Sorry I probably shouldn't have commented on this thread as this is off-topic
Old 09-08-2020, 10:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
That’s if you have a Pancar class. 1/12 is 1s here on the rare occasion it does run. I do now that some places have been running a 2s based class. But that hasn’t reached into my area.

I do somewhat agree that it could end up similar to euro truck. Euro truck is run by all ranges here. From the fast guys to those just starting.
Two thoughts. You might have a pan car class if all the novices move who want to move up have a pan car.

My other thought, have you considered just using Euro Truck rules just swapping the bodies and tires. Like literally buying a EuroTruck kit, a car body, a set of USGT wheels/tires, radio and battery/charger and a transponder and they would be good to go. If you went that route, Everyone would have a Euro truck to play with when they move to a better chassis.
Raman and angrymelon like this.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I understand the comparisons to Euro Truck but one thing that distinguishes something like this from that is for starters, the bodies are much more recognizable than the Euro Trucks. If you took a poll of most people beyond the RC hobby, I doubt that they'd recognize those trucks unless they were auto racing fans and even then, you'd have to be pretty hardcore to be familiar with the FIA European Truck Racing Championship without Googling it. Id say a larger number would at least recognize many of the bodies in the list I posted at the beginning. Now one thing I did not mention in the initial listing (which was an error on my part) is that for quite a few of the chassis that I listed that are under the noted price point, their kit bodies would actually fit within the scope of the body rule because they are based on actual cars that are raced in FIA GTE, GT3 or GT4 competition (the exception being the Yokomo SD9)...heck Tamiya makes a living on scale realism in their bodies. I noted this in a discussion I had with Nerobro this morning, but with the touring car bodies nowadays, they look nothing like the touring cars that ran in touring car classes of the past or present. Frankly, if I had to compare them to anything, it'd be the DPi cars of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Some of it may be due in part to licensing costs and what have you, but I think a lot of it is going back to squeezing that extra tenth or two that the fast guys are looking for and so you end up with bodies that can run in a class like USGT but are barely recognizable as a GT body I've seen watching WEC or IMSA races on YouTube. Scale realism has been lost on the altar of performance and the requisite costs that come with it.
I couldn't agree more! When it's getting difficult to tell the differences between some of the TC bodies and USGT bodies there is an issue.
Raman likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I love the idea of this class, but as mrreet said, it's kind of another variation of Euro Truck. If the win at all costs folks are going to run Euro Truck, why would they also not run this class? I still think that figuring out how to populate a novice class is 1st and foremost. We have several classes beyond that where people can figure out how they want to invest. Sorry I probably shouldn't have commented on this thread as this is off-topic
It is a bit off-topic but it is a good point as well. That was something that got lost in the discussion over in the "reviving electric onroad" thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.