Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Looking for some info on my choices >

Looking for some info on my choices

Like Tree11Likes

Looking for some info on my choices

Old 08-24-2020, 07:50 AM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Default Looking for some info on my choices

Hi folks, new to the site but not to RC racing. I posted in the 12th scale section and did receive helpful information, just looking for some extra input.
Been away for a while and want to run GT12 21.5 indoor. I've researched until my eyes started to bleed and I've come to the following decision. I'm thinking SCHK184 Schumacher Atom 2 Carbon Fiber kit, REDMTTE0038C- Reds VX3 540 Factory Selected 21.5 motor, KO Propo RSx3-12 mini servo, Hobbywing XR10 pro or the HD if its compatible for stock, just in case i want to run mod down the road. I'm looking for opinions on what I'm going to purchase. Anyone run this combo or just the car in general? Is it easy to setup, does it stay that way or constant tinkering. I will also need some guidance for choosing batteries (capacity, brand), tires, ect. I looked at these batteries but I'm not sure there even right for a stock situation, Reedy Zappers HV SG3 85C (3.8V/8200mah) Thanks in advance and look forward to your reply's.
nikkip is offline  
Old 08-25-2020, 10:27 PM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
 
tomcat125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 84
Default

Sounds like you're on the right track to me. Battery may be a bit overkill. I'd look at the weight. I think my 1/12 batteries are 6400 cheap turnigy from hobbyking and usually come off just above storage level after 8 mins running 17.5 on black carpet. My setup is an associated 12r6, a cheapo trackstar 1 cell ESC, a reedy s+ 17.5 and a futaba servo. Usually pretty competitive (depending my driving.)
nikkip likes this.
tomcat125 is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 05:38 AM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nikkip View Post
Hi folks, new to the site but not to RC racing. I posted in the 12th scale section and did receive helpful information, just looking for some extra input.
Been away for a while and want to run GT12 21.5 indoor. I've researched until my eyes started to bleed and I've come to the following decision. I'm thinking SCHK184 Schumacher Atom 2 Carbon Fiber kit, REDMTTE0038C- Reds VX3 540 Factory Selected 21.5 motor, KO Propo RSx3-12 mini servo, Hobbywing XR10 pro or the HD if its compatible for stock, just in case i want to run mod down the road. I'm looking for opinions on what I'm going to purchase. Anyone run this combo or just the car in general? Is it easy to setup, does it stay that way or constant tinkering. I will also need some guidance for choosing batteries (capacity, brand), tires, ect. I looked at these batteries but I'm not sure there even right for a stock situation, Reedy Zappers HV SG3 85C (3.8V/8200mah) Thanks in advance and look forward to your reply's.
You will want to check with the tracks on the motor requirements. I have found that (at least in the USA) the 12GT class is more of a concept than a standard. Most of the tracks in Ohio run some sort of spec motor.
nikkip likes this.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 07:13 AM
  #4  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks for the support guys. I'm pretty sure the 21.5 motor is what they run so I'm good there. Battery wise I did make a change to Trinity Hi-Capacity 1S 100C Hardcase LiPo Battery (3.7V/7700mAh), didn't realize its a weight issue when determining battery size. If there's a big difference in weight I'll drop down to 6600mah. Now I just need some replies on my car choice, once that happens I'll be placing my order. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your time and input to help me out!
nikkip is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 AM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Default

Narrowed it down to these two, Trinity Hi- Voltage 1S 100C (3.7V/6500mAh), ProTek RC 1S 120C low ir Si-Graphene + HV (3.8/6800mAh) Sorry for the nubbie questions, but what does the 100C/120C number represent? Pro's or cons on either would be appreciated.
nikkip is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 10:24 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nikkip View Post
Narrowed it down to these two, Trinity Hi- Voltage 1S 100C (3.7V/6500mAh), ProTek RC 1S 120C low ir Si-Graphene + HV (3.8/6800mAh) Sorry for the nubbie questions, but what does the 100C/120C number represent? Pro's or cons on either would be appreciated.

A C-rate is a measure of the rate at which a battery is discharged relative to its maximum capacity. A 1C rate means that the discharge current will discharge the entire battery in 1 hour. For a battery with a capacity of 100 Amp-hrs, this equates to a discharge current of 100 Amps.
If you are comparing the same mah then the higher of the two C ratings is better. If you are comparing two different mah batteries you would have to calculate out the two to determine the max amps.
That being said, Just because a battery can peak a C rating doesn't mean it will be used. Let say you have electronics that can only use 50 amps, it won't matter if the battery is capable of 75 amps or 150 amps.

The Trinity would have a burst of 650, and the Protek would have a burst of 816
https://power-calculation.com/batter...calculator.php


The Hv is another thing to look at. Most tracks don't allow batteries to be charge past a certain voltage. This make the extra voltage you get with the HV pack worthless. If you can't charge to full voltage you won't be able to fill it to full mah capacity either.
tomcat125 and nikkip like this.

Last edited by mrreet2001; 08-26-2020 at 10:36 AM.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 10:38 AM
  #7  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nikkip View Post
Now I just need some replies on my car choice, once that happens I'll be placing my order.
I have only ran this class once and it's with an old XRAY. At my track the Carpet Knife Twenty5 CK25 car seems like a popular choice.
nikkip likes this.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 01:38 PM
  #8  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks for both reply's. I now have a much better understanding when it comes to batteries, but I can see I have a lot to learn. Yeah the carpet knife does seem to come up a bit, but I'm one of these guys who has to be a little different, plus I like the idea of it being a dedicated GT12 chassis.
nikkip is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 06:32 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 3,571
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you wanted hardware that is absolutely top of the line you certainly listed it.

As for advice and guidance, the 1/12 forum has a long WIKI that gives a lot of information, yes its for 1/12 but GT12 cars are 1/12 (mostly) and the info may help smooth over any gaps in your knowledge base.

Have fun.
nikkip likes this.
DesertRat is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 08:41 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
 
tomcat125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 84
Default

I would say get the most popular chassis at the track you're planning to race at. That way you can get help with setup. I'd be lost with the Schumacher
nikkip likes this.
tomcat125 is offline  
Old 08-27-2020, 10:56 AM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 358
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tomcat125 View Post
I would say get the most popular chassis at the track you're planning to race at. That way you can get help with setup. I'd be lost with the Schumacher
What this guy said......X2!

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see you mention which track. Most likely, you'll get more useful advice from the people that actually run where you plan to run. There's been more than one occasion when a new racer showed up with all the equipment that 'the internet' told them to buy....only to learn they didn't have quite the right stuff for our local situation.

P.S. In one of your posts you mention "...but I'm one of these guys who has to be a little different..." I've been racing carpet off and on since 1990. Save 'being different' for when you have a descent amount of experience. Copy what works until you can also make it work for you. Then try new stuff.
tomcat125 and nikkip like this.
sps3172 is offline  
Old 08-27-2020, 03:13 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
westendorfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sps3172 View Post
What this guy said......X2!

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see you mention which track. Most likely, you'll get more useful advice from the people that actually run where you plan to run. There's been more than one occasion when a new racer showed up with all the equipment that 'the internet' told them to buy....only to learn they didn't have quite the right stuff for our local situation.

P.S. In one of your posts you mention "...but I'm one of these guys who has to be a little different..." I've been racing carpet off and on since 1990. Save 'being different' for when you have a descent amount of experience. Copy what works until you can also make it work for you. Then try new stuff.
Its a 12th scale...

Set the tweak and drive the hell out of it. There is not too much that can go wrong if the car turns the same amount both directions. Any "setup" that you get is almost all the same geometry anyway between cars. Make sure it is Neutral, Free and Clean and it will be just fine.
nikkip likes this.
westendorfy is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:39 AM
  #13  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by sps3172 View Post
What this guy said......X2!

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see you mention which track. Most likely, you'll get more useful advice from the people that actually run where you plan to run. There's been more than one occasion when a new racer showed up with all the equipment that 'the internet' told them to buy....only to learn they didn't have quite the right stuff for our local situation.

P.S. In one of your posts you mention "...but I'm one of these guys who has to be a little different..." I've been racing carpet off and on since 1990. Save 'being different' for when you have a descent amount of experience. Copy what works until you can also make it work for you. Then try new stuff.
I'll be running at 360V2 in NY. Once it opens. I'm going to reach out to a couple of the drivers there, perhaps I can find out what the flavor of the month was before it shut down. I do know one or two were driving the Parsec 12A. Thanks again for the help.
nikkip is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 07:50 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,454
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Have a friend with some CRC Xtii for sale - one with an alum chassis- if your interested. also a Trinity Monster max 21.5.
BullFrog is offline  
Old 08-30-2020, 08:58 PM
  #15  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 205
Default

Originally Posted by nikkip View Post
Thanks for both reply's. I now have a much better understanding when it comes to batteries, but I can see I have a lot to learn. Yeah the carpet knife does seem to come up a bit, but I'm one of these guys who has to be a little different, plus I like the idea of it being a dedicated GT12 chassis.
I don't run the Atom2 but I do run the eclipse 3 in lmp 13.5t stock racing at my local track (black carpet) and it is very capable running with the CK25 and the Roche (both of which I have had and ran on the same track). I like the Schumacher cars as they are different. The one thing that took me a bit to understand how to adjust was the pod droop and not having a center shock but now I have no issues and enjoy driving them. I do know that from reading the Atom2 is what a bunch of people run in the GT12 class in Europe, but also Xray and Roche from what I have read seem to be popular too.
Juniorabca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.