Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC5 >

Team Associated TC5

Team Associated TC5

Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

How are cars teched for weight? Are they weighed as if they were about to drive (body, tires, battery, electronics, motor)? Or are they weighed with just the chassis, electronics, motor, battery?

Sorry for the newbish question but I've never been to a big event to see how this tech is done.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
How are cars teched for weight? Are they weighed as if they were about to drive (body, tires, battery, electronics, motor)? Or are they weighed with just the chassis, electronics, motor, battery?

Sorry for the newbish question but I've never been to a big event to see how this tech is done.
Its with everything you would race, I've got 35grams of lead just to bring my car up to weight.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Scooter got it right. A body with a few coats of paint can weigh 150 grams.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jhberger
Scooter got it right. A body with a few coats of paint can weigh 150 grams.
Max 102-105g!!! 150g is like armor!!!

Paint should be like fog

I have nice paint mazda 6 speed (not light weight) and it is 105g with stickers.

Regards!
m.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This is what I have. If you have any questions please let me know.

The steering post mounted to the front shock tower hold a body post that is cut so that the body rests on it at the bottom of the windshield. I thought that this might improve down force on the front end but it was inconclusive.
Thanks for your photo.
Are you running the same set up in Reedy race as photo?
What are the F/R spring & weight of oil on your shocks?
How's your feel on your car ? i means is the car tends to over-steel or under-steel or netural......
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Technically, the car must weight more than the minimum when it is pulled off the track after the race is over. But this can vary from event to event.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

This is what I have. If you have any questions please let me know.

The steering post mounted to the front shock tower hold a body post that is cut so that the body rests on it at the bottom of the windshield. I thought that this might improve down force on the front end but it was inconclusive.
I was just curious about the picture of Ricks car.
It looks that both front and rear camber links are atatched to the bulk head? And not the normal positions. Why?
Thanks Jason
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mos-leung
Thanks for your photo.
Are you running the same set up in Reedy race as photo?
What are the F/R spring & weight of oil on your shocks?
How's your feel on your car ? i means is the car tends to over-steel or under-steel or netural......
The picture is of my car straight from the Reedy Race. I was using rear/green, front/silver springs with Losi 57 pistons and 35 weight oil. The car tended to under steer.

Originally Posted by racing_jason
I was just curious about the picture of Ricks car.
It looks that both front and rear camber links are atatched to the bulk head? And not the normal positions. Why?
Thanks Jason
At AE we refer to these as hillbilly links. When you run them in this position (and raise the outer ball studs 2mm all around) the car tends to be easier to drive and more consistent.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Rick, you mentioned the Worlds coming up and maybe seeing something new. Is AE maybe going back into the Nitro scene or were you talking electric still?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Electric 1/12 and TC Worlds. No nitro TC in the works.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

I would really like to hear more on the new car if in fact there might be one. As I was about to pull the trigger on 2 TC5R's for IIC but am hesitant now...I don't need details just maybe something along the lines of a 98% probability etc... Just don't want to make the purchase and then a new ride come out a month or so later. Even a simple Pm with just yes or no would work thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At AE we refer to these as hillbilly links. When you run them in this position (and raise the outer ball studs 2mm all around) the car tends to be easier to drive and more consistent.
Hey Rick. Just wondering about the hillbilly links. The ballstud looks like it is inline with the bottom hole of the shock tower. Is that right? Also for outer ballstuds you say +2mm is that with silver ball studs?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JoelV
Hey Rick. Just wondering about the hillbilly links. The ballstud looks like it is inline with the bottom hole of the shock tower. Is that right? Also for outer ballstuds you say +2mm is that with silver ball studs?

Thanks.
another car with hillbilly link......cut out some metal parts & use the existing lower holes for link.....
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-tc5r.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Front solid axle or diff ?

Many of racer are using front solid axle due to the car perform better than one way when the car is in brake.
How about using diff in front instead of solid axle ?
What are the dis-adv & adv of using solid axle & diff in front ?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JoelV

Thanks.
The inner ball stud is mounted in the lower hole of the shock tower. Use the silver ball studs.

Originally Posted by mos-leung
Many of racer are using front solid axle due to the car perform better than one way when the car is in brake.
How about using diff in front instead of solid axle ?
What are the dis-adv & adv of using solid axle & diff in front ?
A diff will work the same under braking but under power the spool will pull the car harder out of the turn. The diff can also slip the unloaded inside wheel. The only time a front diff works best is when racing foam tires on carpet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.