Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just ran the worse run event and worse track conditions of my racing career. The car was still 3rd on the grid in mod. I switched to a 19 turn in mod due to the lack of grip. Gotta know when to motor down....he he he he. The only problem I had in the main was the first corner punt courtesy of a over motored racer. It was a hard hit but not hard enough to do the damage to my spur gear. That's 5 spurs over two days. Has anyone else had spur gear problems from rear end hits? I know I set my mesh properly but am I missing something here? I plan on trying 48P the next time out or possibly going back to RW gears rather than Kimbrough. The car is still nice to work on and drive. How did eberyone else do this weekend??
Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by factory racer
awsome formula,,,but what do i do for pinions????? i got the 116 tooth spur but what pinions now...is their a formula for that?

Exactly the same formula. (ie. if you know what pinion in 48dp, then just use the formula to convert back to 64dp)

ie: if I want to use 64dp and the spur/pinion is 48dp (87t spur and 20t pinion)

in 64dp it would work out to be:

87t spur = 116t
20t pinion = 26t pinion (approx)

Hope this helps.

-Leonard
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I just ran the worse run event and worse track conditions of my racing career. The car was still 3rd on the grid in mod. I switched to a 19 turn in mod due to the lack of grip. Gotta know when to motor down....he he he he. The only problem I had in the main was the first corner punt courtesy of a over motored racer. It was a hard hit but not hard enough to do the damage to my spur gear. That's 5 spurs over two days. Has anyone else had spur gear problems from rear end hits? I know I set my mesh properly but am I missing something here? I plan on trying 48P the next time out or possibly going back to RW gears rather than Kimbrough. The car is still nice to work on and drive. How did eberyone else do this weekend??
Hi STLNLST,

Due to the incidient, your car could have been tweaked slightly.

Some things to check:

1. make sure motor screws are tigtened properly
2. check that spurs are true spinning (no low/high spots) - if there are, make sure you mesh the spur on the lowest spot
3. check centre layshaft to make sure its not bent
4. check other bulkheads for tweak
5. make sure motor plate screw is properly tightened (one that secures the motor plate to the rear left bulkhead)

Hope this helps.

- Leonard.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok,

Im building the kit, Ive done the diffs as per everyones suggestions previously and am now putting the arms on etc.

As I cannot seem to get a set up sheet for Mod, Rubber Tyre on Asphalt from the AE site..my computer wont download them for some reason. I need to know what rear and front inboard toe is recommended and also what position to have the diffs front and rear. Another wouldbe belt tension.

Thank in advance

Cheers
Aaron
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zacabrandy
Ok,

Im building the kit, Ive done the diffs as per everyones suggestions previously and am now putting the arms on etc.

As I cannot seem to get a set up sheet for Mod, Rubber Tyre on Asphalt from the AE site..my computer wont download them for some reason. I need to know what rear and front inboard toe is recommended and also what position to have the diffs front and rear. Another wouldbe belt tension.

Thank in advance

Cheers
Aaron
Heey Aaron, you can check my setups at ww.rickthomson.tk They are all for Rubber, with mod on asphalt, in case you need to know which one suits which circuit just PM or mail me..
Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Hi STLNLST,

Due to the incidient, your car could have been tweaked slightly.

Some things to check:

1. make sure motor screws are tigtened properly
2. check that spurs are true spinning (no low/high spots) - if there are, make sure you mesh the spur on the lowest spot
3. check centre layshaft to make sure its not bent
4. check other bulkheads for tweak
5. make sure motor plate screw is properly tightened (one that secures the motor plate to the rear left bulkhead)

Hope this helps.

- Leonard.
I will check all of that after a complete tear down before the next time I race. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Other than the spur mishaps....the car was dialed.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
That's 5 spurs over two days. Has anyone else had spur gear problems from rear end hits? I know I set my mesh properly but am I missing something here? I plan on trying 48P the next time out or possibly going back to RW gears rather than Kimbrough.
I hear lots of talk about 64-pitch gears, but let me state a fact some won't be thinking of. Unless you are a very good driver (were talking consistent lap times within 1-second of each other), then stick with more common and slightly cheaper 48-pitch gears until you can drive/perform consistently. You will have to keep less spurs/pinions on hand, and they are more durable.

Buying all the extra spurs and pinions needed for 64-pitch racing can be a waste of money until you become consistent. We all know that 64-pitch allows for greater gear ratio adjustments and run a little quieter, but if you are not consistent, then what good can be achieved by changing the gear ratio on a narrower scale? Granted, if money is of no concern, spend away.

I AM NOT consistent yet, though my lap times are coming down. I blame this on not finding a dialed setup for my TC5 just yet, but mostly my carpet driving skills are marginal as best , so 48-pitch works just fine for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

oops
Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Exactly the same formula. (ie. if you know what pinion in 48dp, then just use the formula to convert back to 64dp)

ie: if I want to use 64dp and the spur/pinion is 48dp (87t spur and 20t pinion)

in 64dp it would work out to be:

87t spur = 116t
20t pinion = 26t pinion (approx)

Hope this helps.

-Leonard

ok so what pinion does the average racer use with the stock 87 tooth spur that comes with the tc5?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

yo quick question....i just received my spool kit from titanium racing today. since it did not come with a pulley, i was looking for pulleys on tower hobbies. they have a diff pulley and a oneway/spool pulley. is there any difference? only thing i see is that the diff pulley is two pieces and the oneway/spool pulley is one piece. any help would be great thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

ok so what pinion does the average racer use with the stock 87 tooth spur that comes with the tc5?
Can't get enough speed with the stock 87-tooth spur when running a 13.5 BL Motor. I run a 72-tooth spur with a 30-tooth pinion.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok Im building the shocks.

What rebound is recommended and do i use the form (foam peices) or just leave them out. I recall reading a post where someone was saying to leave them out and have no rebound, I just want to check what everyone thinks.

Again this is for Mod Asphalt Rubber tyres. Standard Chassis, ITF top chassis.

There seems to be a fair bit of play sided to side with the diff outdrives oncemounted, is this normal?

How tight should i be running the belts, as tight as possible, or with some slack.

Thanks in advance
Aaron
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pekpekmaster
yo quick question....i just received my spool kit from titanium racing today. since it did not come with a pulley, i was looking for pulleys on tower hobbies. they have a diff pulley and a oneway/spool pulley. is there any difference? only thing i see is that the diff pulley is two pieces and the oneway/spool pulley is one piece. any help would be great thanks

If you are going to run the TIR spool, you need to buy a Yokomo BD oneway/spool pulley.

I am not sure about the AE TC5 one.

- Leonard
Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Sorry mate, I run mod only. So I have no idea where to start. Just ask your local guys and find out what ratios (FDR) they are using and go from there.

- Leonard.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im building the shocks and from the info ive gathered the #2 pistons are what everyone is using however i only have the #3 pistons. Am I supposed to have a selection of different pistons in the kit?

In the mean time as i dont have any other pistons should I go down to 35 weight oil?

Cheers
Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.