Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know some people in Minnesota are using Spec-R gear diffs in their TC5's, not sure which one they are using, I will find out. I think they are just shimming up the TC6 diffs...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gyr0
Anyone know if the spec-r tc6 gear diff will fit the tc5? or if spec-r make one for the tc5.
If you could find one that is wide enough (TC6 can in theory fit in) but you will need longer bones and TC6 is using belts (one on each side of spur) rather than next to each others like on TC5.

So you need a new gear diff to fit on the outside belt and the original spool to fit on the inside belt.This means that the long belt needs to be back to the original place and not outside to help move electronics inboard.

Hope I am clear, I had a look at it but now my TC5 is gone.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

In theory, parts like diffs and cva's from the yokomo db5 should fit; since both chassis are very similar in design and appearance. I e-mailed spec-r and got a response of "We cannot confirm proper fitment of db5 parts to the tc5 and do not have any way of comparing the parts in question". I currently do not have the funds to justify ordering parts from spec-r to experiment. I would really like to know if their double jointed cv shafts will fit. So if anybody out there has any info on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How much narrower are the TC6 bulkheads? can you measure the inner width olly?
I dont see the problem with fitting the tc6 dif with shims. worst case, im sure could could shim a few mm on the outdrives too.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

there is actually a good bit, the thing is that the TC6 diff is going to end up more on one side than the other (because of diff/spur pulleys placement) but shimmed it will defenitely work.

then the issue is going to be the lengh of dogbones/CVA, one could end up too short or just catching.

If you move to yok diff and CVA ou have to change the bearings and wheel clamps (this is done on TC6) and I guess the CVA lengh is shorter than AE cause you have to dremel the Yok outdrives to fit the TC5/6.

I have fitted a Sakura zero gear diff to my TC6, but the teeth are just ok at rear but not good for the front. then I use Kyosho RRR V1 outdrives, but cannot use blades (too wide). There is a possibility to use the Sakura's outdrives with the width of TC5 (do not work on TC6, the CVA bones goes too deep)

If you are interested to try all this, I can sell you all the Sakura parts I have as I will be getting the new TC6 gear diff soon.

I hope my explanations are clear enough, I nearly got lost myself
Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

I've been driving TC3's for a couple of years and now have a almost new TC5. I've been really surprised by how different it drives. With the locked front spool, it pulls out of turns like a mule, but it seems like my backend fishtails much easier than what I was used to with a TC3. Same tires and traction compound on the TC5 as the TC3's

So is a looser backend normal would most of you agree for a TC5? Maybe I just need to get more laps and get used to it? Or, do I need to work on the set-up a little?

I checked the set up and its per the owner's manual. Rechecked too. I'm running it in USGT with a 21.5 and Solaris mediums.
Just looking for some suggestions.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I've been driving TC3's for a couple of years and now have a almost new TC5. I've been really surprised by how different it drives. With the locked front spool, it pulls out of turns like a mule, but it seems like my backend fishtails much easier than what I was used to with a TC3. Same tires and traction compound on the TC5 as the TC3's

So is a looser backend normal would most of you agree for a TC5? Maybe I just need to get more laps and get used to it? Or, do I need to work on the set-up a little?

I checked the set up and its per the owner's manual. Rechecked too. I'm running it in USGT with a 21.5 and Solaris mediums.
Just looking for some suggestions.
Owners setup was for Nimh batteries not Lipo, it does have a tendency a bit tail happy, if you never use a spool on front either it take a little getting use to.
They are some things to do to the the car for Lipo if you have not done it yet, reverse front/rear belts to move your electrics closer to the centre line will be the first.

Use softer springs than the original red/copper, silver front green rear is good with piston 2 and 40/35 oil or 40/40 (front/rear)

That is to start, see how you get on with this.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Try one of rick howarts outdoor setups. Found them to work quite well for the most part.

I set my car up starting with his 13.5 superstock setup and tweak. You
Might just need more rear droop. Made a vig difference for me with low traction carpet.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the advice guys. Just what I hoped for. I've printed this page and will try your suggestions.

Scott
Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Does any one know If the tc6 Blue screw kit will work on the tc5. I know I won't be able to use All of them but I like the blue a lot lol. And I need new screws on my car.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sideways88
Does any one know If the tc6 Blue screw kit will work on the tc5. I know I won't be able to use All of them but I like the blue a lot lol. And I need new screws on my car.

Thanks
Yes they should, most of them are the same, metric size.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

cool i think i might pick a set up.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tc5

will the tc6 arms fit the tc5?
and would the new tc6.1 work?
the ? would be will they work on the 5??
Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

What's up everyone. I have quick question about the TC5 setup sheet. I've already read about 100+ pages of this forum (I gained alot of knowledge) and I still don't seem to find what I'm looking for. What do the FWD Arm Mount - RWD Mount Shims settings (under the suspension geometry settings) exactly refer to on the front and rear diagram? Examples: 2A, 3A. I understand just about everything else. Definitely a new builder of kits but I tend to become extremely methodical and careful when it comes to my hobbies haha. All of the members here have all been great to read about. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

What's up everyone. I have a quick question about the TC5 setup sheet. I've already read about 100+ pages of this forum (I gained alot of knowledge) and I still don't seem to find what I'm looking for. What do the FWD Arm Mount - RWD Mount Shims settings (under the suspension geometry settings) exactly refer to on the front and rear diagram? Examples: 2A, 3A. I understand just about everything else. Definitely a new builder of kits but I tend to become extremely methodical and careful when it comes to my hobbies haha. All of the members here have all been great to read about. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.