Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks Ill try that...when I tightened them down I thought the same thing...whats the point?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Thanks Ill try that...when I tightened them down I thought the same thing...whats the point?
more chassis flex i am sure..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GTSSTANG
I need some help. I'm experiencing some torque steer on my TC5. On hard acceleration it quickly pulls to the left for the first couple feet and then straightens right out.

I am running a spool up front and diff in the rear.

I took it all apart and found a bad rear hub bearing, yet it still has the same problem with the new bearing. I even put in a new rear diff and still the same problem.

I do not think it is an issue with the front of the car as it has a spool and the bone blades are intact.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks
check and make sure ur car is balanced side to side
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Josh,
I was looking over the rear toe at the bulkhead and you have .8 on the FR and 3.4 on the RR. Am I missing something because that does not seem like 3 total toe for the rear.
The car is loose off power when I enter the turn.
Thanks for your help.
God Bless
Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey Nick,

I'm very interested in your bulkheads, but have a few questions/suggestions.

I REALLY like the idea of moving the motor inboard and had been curious why Associated had not done this on the car...in fact they went to additional effort/expense NOT to. I'm guessing you run the pinion "backward" like on off-road cars? Any chance of getting a pic with a motor installed in your demo without the top plate installed and with the top plate installed so we can get the flavor of what we're facing?

At first I'd wondered "why not just get the left side plate" until I looked more carefully and saw that the layshaft bearings are now carried directly in the bulkhead and a fair bit lower than standard. So much for that thought It looks like the layshaft is carried about 3-ish mm lower (like the Exotek carriers X2)? This, obviously, cuts spur clearance on larger sizes (and my not really be relevant anyway depending)...any idea what the largest spur size that will fit with your mods?

How is belt tension affected by carrying the layshaft lower? Exotek claims a modest reduction in tension and would imagine that tension would be further reduced if you're parts are carrying it directly lower than it's current position.

I can see you've milled the chassis on the inboard side under the motor--is that done to the same depth as the standard AE milling on the outer "tab" of the chassis or have you taken both down thinner?

I must confess to not being wild about not having the "leg" in the bulkhead ahead of the motor to screw down to the chassis. I can see on your mule that at one point you must have because the chassis has been drilled where the new screw would go to pick up this leg. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but my guess is the leg was eliminated to users wouldn't have to locate, drill and countersink a hole (whose location is critical to proper fit) in their chassis. All the other screws appear to be as-located by AE. I would offer that if you made a paper template from your "mule" chassis shown that identified where the screw would live that customers could hit this easily enough. OR...I'd bet you could pick up chassis plates at dealer cost somewhere, drill and countersink them, and offer them as an extra cost option for users who lack the confidence to do that drilling.

I can imagine that the top plate provides enough bridge to keep longitudinal flex under control without this leg, but I am not at all crazy about the mass of the motor being so unsupported. It is hanging clear out ahead of the screws. My concern would be that in a hard side impact the mass of the motor could pretty easily bend the bulkhead, inertia being what it is. I've seen similar thickness 1/12 bulkheads bent due to the motor mass and they're supported all the way around and fairly close to the motor.

If you guys were to go back to (and I'm certain it was there at least at some point in development) the forward leg ahead of the motor I'd be ALL over these bulkheads, as it is I have substantial concern on this point. You'd still be "losing" the rear foot from the original AE motor mount, I just think too big a bite has been taken by eliminating that front foot.

I look forward to your responses. I think you guys are just THIS close to having a great product that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.

Thanks,

Scottrik
Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What size bearings are you guys using in the hubs? The manual call for 6x10x4 however that size is not available from avid or amain, do I have to buy the associated ones? The only thing I can find is 6x10x3
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Suspended

All questions about the bulkheads have being answered to the best of my ability, in which some areas I am lacking somewhat.

I am speaking to the designer/machiner of the bulkheads tomorrow so will get everybody's questions answered and replyed to ASAP.

Thanks Nick
Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Adim_X
What size bearings are you guys using in the hubs? The manual call for 6x10x4 however that size is not available from avid or amain, do I have to buy the associated ones? The only thing I can find is 6x10x3
use the 6x10x3 and a half mm shim on both sides
Old 01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Nick will these bulkheads come anodized?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Hi steve, I'm sure they could be anodised but obviously at extra cost.

The cheaper option for you would be to have them anodised over in oklahoma as England is going through a very expensive phase at the moment unfortunatly

Cheers Nick
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
I'm looking to get the Tc5 is it good straight out the box no need for upgrades....
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
The size in the manual is a misprint, the correct size is 6x10x3.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does anyone have a good low grip asphalt rubber setup? thanks!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
I'm looking to get the Tc5 is it good straight out the box no need for upgrades....
get the tc5r and ur ready to go
Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jsaves
Josh,
I was looking over the rear toe at the bulkhead and you have .8 on the FR and 3.4 on the RR. Am I missing something because that does not seem like 3 total toe for the rear.
The car is loose off power when I enter the turn.
Thanks for your help.
God Bless
i too had that problem...went to 1degree shm in front and 4 in rear..for a total of 3 degree toe..made a huge difference..car was glued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.