R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #5731
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbear View Post
Posted by AE team driver Juho Levanen earlier.

"Raising the diff will result in more onpower traction in the end you raised the diff. For example, putting the front diff to the highest position and rear diff to the lowest position will give you the most onpower steering and vice versa. I normally run mine mid low both ends, sometimes mid high in the front. If the driveshafts are straight your car will the more neutral on and off power. The driveshafts try to straighten out when accelerating which causes the handling effects.

The center of gravitys effect is minimal. The diffs weigh less than 10g. Try taping a 10g lead weight on the topdeck and see if it makes a difference That is 10x bigger change on the center of gravity than the diffheight and you probably wont be able to tell a difference"
Yep, Just tried it. I was looking for a touch more onpower steering and this did it. I put the front diff all the way up and left the rear at mid-low. Now i can make the turn at the end of the strait with out lifting.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #5732
Tech Adept

Default Chassis

Thanks Stan, I'm still in the rip apart and clean mode. I don't think I'll be investing in a new chassis but I'll try using the o-rings on the top-plate.
Thanks again
Roadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #5733
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone looking for a spool alternative, I picked one of these up and ran it the past weekend. No problems at all with it. I did have to shave the drive cup collars down a bit, It is built like the tamiya spools.

http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...oduct_id=54280
Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #5734
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmartin View Post
Anyone looking for a spool alternative, I picked one of these up and ran it the past weekend. No problems at all with it. I did have to shave the drive cup collars down a bit, It is built like the tamiya spools.

http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...oduct_id=54280
So this spool runs without the blades I take it...looks like they drive direct to the stock dogbones. Also, what holds the drivepins in, just the sleeve with no set screw?? Are just the delrin drive cups available seperate??

Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #5735
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does any aftermarket company make smaller drive pulleys for the diffs? I would like to lower the IR to help get the right FDR for the 17.5.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #5736
Suspended

hey i did some testing this wekend with a hacker 17.5...was no problem getting spur and pinion combos down to a 3.5 final drive ratio..could go lower, but motor started getting a touch warm..if you need help with spur and pinion combos that work..let me know
i am cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #5737
Tech Adept

Just off the top of my head I believe I am using a 47/96 (64p) combo. I tried the 47/88 but the gears wouldnt mesh without a little dremel action. Not too fond of that idea.

What combo do you use?

I was also wondering what it would do to the acceleration if the pulleys were smaller like the Xrays. Doesnt this affect the torque?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #5738
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
So this spool runs without the blades I take it...looks like they drive direct to the stock dogbones. Also, what holds the drivepins in, just the sleeve with no set screw?? Are just the delrin drive cups available seperate??

The bearings slide over the pins, The drive cups are sold as a pair. I think they were $5.00 set, I bought 2 extra sets since I had to order from Hong Kong.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #5739
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you want to run 17.5, an 88 spur will fit, but you may need to remove a bit of material from the top deck. It just needs to be shaved right by the layshaft at the motor side. That's for most gears. Thin machined gears like RW and PRS probably won't need the clearance.

PRS goes up to 65 on pinions. I think 55 or 56 /88 is 3.5

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #5740
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the Team Associated Hard(#31203) and Regular (#31205) Suspension arms? I have an extra set that came with my car and I have no idea which ones they are.

Thanks!
Old School Losi JRx Pro
Previous Rides: B44, RC18MT, RDX PHI, FT RC18T, RC8, TC5(2), RC8T :(
cutjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #5741
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stanislow

probably just regular, the hard compounds are options
Mad Scientist Motors
stanislow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #5742
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutjo3 View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the Team Associated Hard(#31203) and Regular (#31205) Suspension arms? I have an extra set that came with my car and I have no idea which ones they are.

Thanks!
From looking at my hard parts and comparing them to the standard. The hard parts are much more shiny and glossy looking, while the standards are much more dull looking. Kinda like comparing semi-gloss black to flat black.
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #5743
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggalowmo View Post
From looking at my hard parts and comparing them to the standard. The hard parts are much more shiny and glossy looking, while the standards are much more dull looking. Kinda like comparing semi-gloss black to flat black.

Thanks Naggalowmo, I will compare the finishes to the arms that are already on the car to make sure I am using the same ones. I was just worried I would have one hard and one regular front arm on the car. You would think they would mold a little 'H' into the hard parts somewhere.
Old School Losi JRx Pro
Previous Rides: B44, RC18MT, RDX PHI, FT RC18T, RC8, TC5(2), RC8T :(
cutjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #5744
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If you want to run 17.5, an 88 spur will fit, but you may need to remove a bit of material from the top deck. It just needs to be shaved right by the layshaft at the motor side. That's for most gears. Thin machined gears like RW and PRS probably won't need the clearance.

PRS goes up to 65 on pinions. I think 55 or 56 /88 is 3.5
Thanks. I guess this whole brushless movement will eventually change the way manufacturers design their chassis.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #5745
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
Just off the top of my head I believe I am using a 47/96 (64p) combo. I tried the 47/88 but the gears wouldnt mesh without a little dremel action. Not too fond of that idea.

What combo do you use?

I was also wondering what it would do to the acceleration if the pulleys were smaller like the Xrays. Doesnt this affect the torque?
i was using 96 spur with a 54 pinion..but keep track of your motor temps..i run hacker motors...the 17.5 doesnt seem to like the 3.5 to 1 ratio..gets hot..i ended up running a 96 51 which comes out to 3.76 ratio..motor after 6 minutes was 175..plenty off ripp and top end..have to mention it was 95 degrees..and that was with no fans mounted
i am cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote