R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #5716
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stanislow

are you sure? since the diffs are raised it should heighten CG and cause less traction whereas if the diffs are low it wont roll as much thus causing more rear traction?

anyone please step in if im wrong, thats just my understanding
Mad Scientist Motors
stanislow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #5717
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

when the weight is higher it causes more roll and more traction thats why we raise roll centers on ashplat to creat more bite, and lower them on carpet where there is tons of bite

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa

Last edited by geeunit1014; 04-15-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spellcehck
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #5718
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
you really running the car that soft? I am running 50wt in front. I think it might be better with 40 but anything below that seems way to fast. I will get to oil on this car one of these days.

DK
It's not so much the oil, as #57 pistons are small, kinda between #2 and #3. i want to try a larger hole piston, as this was good in high bite, but I'm not sure about the local track...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #5719
Tech Regular

well, now i know what to do for asphalt since we start this weekend, what else needs to be done to convert a foam car into an asphalt
Mad Scientist Motors
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #5720
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislow View Post
well, now i know what to do for asphalt since we start this weekend, what else needs to be done to convert a foam car into an asphalt
Ok, show me the light please
cochecito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #5721
Tech Champion

build the car to make as much grip as possible - ie high roll centers, soft springs/shocks, no sway bars, etc, then tune the car to the track and what it needs.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #5722
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to LAPU-LAPU
Default Servo Saver

Need some help guys i've been using my TC5 for almost a year now and im having fun racing it in our local track here (outdoor Asphalt). My problem is the Servo Saver and i found it very stiff and it strips the servo gears 4 airtronics and 1 JR, all are standard servo. And when i change it into more powerful metal gear like HITEC servo it brakes the front arm when i hit the wall. well that's my error and mistake anyway. The question is, is there's a way to soften the actions of the TC5 servo saver?

Last edited by LAPU-LAPU; 04-16-2008 at 02:09 AM.
LAPU-LAPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #5723
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislow View Post
isnt it with diff height adjustments, you either raise or lower CG?

correct me if im wrong
I found this on rcracing.com posted by Lex

Here's my basic rule for the diff heights:
Front - Lower is smoother to drive, higher is more responsive
at high speed
Rear - Lower plants the rear, higher makes the rear rotate

Those are the most basic instructions I can give. Hope that
helps.

Brent
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #5724
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPU-LAPU View Post
Need some help guys i've been using my TC5 for almost a year now and im having fun racing it in our local track here (outdoor Asphalt). My problem is the Servo Saver and i found it very stiff and it strips the servo gears 4 airtronics and 1 JR, all are standard servo. And when i change it into more powerful metal gear like HITEC servo it brakes the front arm when i hit the wall. well that's my error and mistake anyway. The question is, is there's a way to soften the actions of the TC5 servo saver?
There is a threaded adjuster that goes on the spring of the servo saver, make sure it is fairly loose, tigher = less saver action, looser = more. All ive ever run are high power mg digital servos and i have no issues with teh stock plastic arms. if you are still having trouble maybe get an aluminum servo arm or maybe a servo saver arm (kimbrough 201 is very good, not sure if it will fit)

Old 04-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #5725
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggalowmo View Post
I found this on rcracing.com posted by Lex

Here's my basic rule for the diff heights:
Front - Lower is smoother to drive, higher is more responsive
at high speed
Rear - Lower plants the rear, higher makes the rear rotate

Those are the most basic instructions I can give. Hope that
helps.

Brent
Posted by AE team driver Juho Levanen earlier.

"Raising the diff will result in more onpower traction in the end you raised the diff. For example, putting the front diff to the highest position and rear diff to the lowest position will give you the most onpower steering and vice versa. I normally run mine mid low both ends, sometimes mid high in the front. If the driveshafts are straight your car will the more neutral on and off power. The driveshafts try to straighten out when accelerating which causes the handling effects.

The center of gravitys effect is minimal. The diffs weigh less than 10g. Try taping a 10g lead weight on the topdeck and see if it makes a difference That is 10x bigger change on the center of gravity than the diffheight and you probably wont be able to tell a difference"
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #5726
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by fatbear; 04-16-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Sorry, double post
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #5727
Tech Adept

Default ITF?

Hey guys, I was wondering if ya could fill me in on some past TC5 info. I've been running carpet for the past 7 months and now it's time to hit the blacktop. As I printed out some pro set-ups to find a base. I noticed something that must of slipped me in the TC5 news. As I looked down and seen Chassis and Top Plate. Allot of guys are running an ITF version. Can ya guys fill me in on whats the difference from the stock chassis and plate. Also I plan to try out a one-way Diff, since this will be the first time running the TC5 on anything other than carpet. Thanks guys
Roadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #5728
Tech Regular

I-increased
T-torsional
F-Flex

its a more flexible chassis to run, on carpet, the stocker is awesome becuase its super stiff, whereas if your running asphalt, the ITF is a great way to go because of the increased chassis flex you get

as for a one way, i hope you like not using brakes
Mad Scientist Motors
Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #5729
Tech Adept

Quote:
I would like to say I won but......My diving was a bit off tonight.
AHH there is your problem, you should not be diving on the track. It is not healthy and it can cause injury or even worse gross humiliation.

These damn thrill seekers these days....I swear.

(I know this was simply a typo but I just could not resist - all in fun)

Anyway, I am curious as to how much you can adjust ride height. I am looking for a nice parking lot runner for high speed thrills but I would need to raise ride height a few mm to compensate for the uneven surface associated with your typical street or paring lot. I don't race so I am not concerned race worthiness.
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #5730
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to LAPU-LAPU
Default Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
There is a threaded adjuster that goes on the spring of the servo saver, make sure it is fairly loose, tigher = less saver action, looser = more. All ive ever run are high power mg digital servos and i have no issues with teh stock plastic arms. if you are still having trouble maybe get an aluminum servo arm or maybe a servo saver arm (kimbrough 201 is very good, not sure if it will fit)
Thanks a lot for the tech tips, i think i really have upgrade my servos into a better one like high speed metal gears, coreless and digital to match the radio that i am using right now, i was using the vintage Airtronics XL2P and upgraded it to Futaba 2.4ghz 3PM which really awesome,However, forgot to upgrade my servo. i have disassembled the servo saver of the TC5 and loosen up a bit. But it's still stiff, maybe that's really for a reason for an on-road car. i have compared it to my RC10GT servo saver and the one on the truck is a bit softer.

Thanks a lot for your help....

Last edited by LAPU-LAPU; 04-19-2008 at 01:04 AM.
LAPU-LAPU is offline   Reply With Quote